Thread: internal mics

User Info Menu

Default internal mics

so is anybody here interested in or have internal mics? im going to do a diy setup, after i procure a mixer.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Default Re: internal mics

I have heard demos of them but not used them. They seem to accentuate the natural tone of the shell and are warmer sounding than classical mic'ing of the batter heads.

User Info Menu

even if they are aimed at the batter head? i like a sound with alot of attack.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

I would love it for ease of set up...someday...

User Info Menu

I'm thinking internal for the kick racks
    Internal an external beta 98 on the floor and. Snare with the may mic mixer
    Once I have my cymbals it's the next in line
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    even if they are aimed at the batter head? i like a sound with alot of attack.
    Yes. The dominant fundamental tone of the shell was the what I was hearing. Pointing the diaphragm of the mic at the batter strike point improved the attack transient, but not like one would hear with the mic in the usual position pointing at the batter head externally. It would make acoustic sense with the mic surrounded by the drum shell to have a warmer/ fuller sound with less attack and transient response. Just depends what sound you are going for. The best part about it is you are not accidentally striking the mic when playing because it is hidden in the drum shell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    I'm thinking internal for the kick racks
    Internal an external beta 98 on the floor and. Snare with the may mic mixer
    Once I have my cymbals it's the next in line
    The Kelly Shu is a good low cost option for internal kick mic placement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Yes. The dominant fundamental tone of the shell was the what I was hearing. Pointing the diaphragm of the mic at the batter strike point improved the attack transient, but not like one would hear with the mic in the usual position pointing at the batter head externally. It would make acoustic sense with the mic surrounded by the drum shell to have a warmer/ fuller sound with less attack and transient response. Just depends what sound you are going for. The best part about it is you are not accidentally striking the mic when playing because it is hidden in the drum shell.
    well poopy, ill give it a try anyway. on the bass drums ive heard, it seemed to accentuate the attack, i thought. i may have to steal her laptop and use my tascam 144 and do some testing.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Yeah chafey, just play with it. You may love it. I was listening to internal mic'ing of the snare and toms. That is what i thought you were talking about. Are you talking about internal mic'ing a bass through a port hole?

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiqbYB61ClE"]YouTube - Remo Pinstripe VS Remo Emperor - TomTom[/ame]
    best sounding tom I've ever heard
    internally miced
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Yeah chafey, just play with it. You may love it. I was listening to internal mic'ing of the snare and toms. That is what i thought you were talking about. Are you talking about internal mic'ing a bass through a port hole?
    it will be everything, but the bass does happen to have a port. it will be right up by the head in the center
    Last edited by chafey; 02-03-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: cant type sober
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

the May internal mic mounting system

looks cool