Thread: shuffle rock beat

User Info Menu

Default shuffle rock beat

ive learned this beat as 1 _ a 2 _ a 3 _ a 4 etc on the hi hat or ride or whatever

If you play the shuffle rock feel with a little more advanced drumming, there are beats that land on the &'s which make it sound really cool. BUT do you play those beats on the &'s on the metronome click ( my met is set at 8th notes beats )or should they be played on the e. this might sound confusing but i tried explaining the best i can.

thanks for your help
    Last edited by livewire80; 05-05-2007 at 08:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Don't try to play a shuffle with straight eighths on your metronome. Use quarter notes. A shuffle is based off of triplets therefore it swings. This doesn't jive with straight eighths.

User Info Menu

I think what your talking about is a half-time shuffle or a Rosanna shuffle in that you ghost the second note of the triplet and play the first and last on the hi hat and accent the 3rd note on the snare. Enless I'm thinking about the wrong beat the only thing that could land on an and would be the bass drum, which there are a lot of different patterns people play with this shuffle. Sorry, I'm a little confused by your question but I hope this helps anyways.

User Info Menu

thanks for your help guys. i dont think i am explaining myself too good.

the best way i can explain it is by telling you where im reading these beats. if you have or seen the book "rythm section drumming" by Frank Corniola. where the shuffle rock feels are on page 43 and 44 will explain it exactly. im trying to type it out but it wont work :(
    Last edited by livewire80; 05-05-2007 at 11:59 PM.

User Info Menu

drummer/eons, your explanation has clarified for me a few things. the snare can land on any beat within the shuffle and same with the bass drum but the hi hat or ride remain constant with a shuffle feel. its the inbetween notes of the snare and the bass drum that im a little confused with. what i am doing sounds ok but im not sure if its is right or not.

User Info Menu

This explains the shuffle I think you looking for pretty well and somethings other drummers have done with it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsDY5YRO5pQ

Theres a lot more videos on youtube that demonstrate this kind of shuffle just type in rosanna shuffle, half-time shuffle, or bo digity (sp?) shuffle. Those all use the same hi hat/snare pattern to my knowledge.
    Last edited by Eons; 05-06-2007 at 12:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eons
    This explains the shuffle I think you looking for pretty well and somethings other drummers have done with it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsDY5YRO5pQ

Theres a lot more videos on youtube that demonstrate this kind of shuffle just type in rosanna shuffle, half-time shuffle, or bo digity (sp?) shuffle. Those all use the same hi hat/snare pattern to my knowledge.

thanks for that...perfect. its those ghosts notes that i need to work on to make it sound as smooth as that. well im not sure where those ghost notes are landing but it sounds almost even between the anchor of the hi-hat, i must be landing them right just dont know where though lol. sometimes the hi-hat is played off the shuffle beat too!

nice beat when its smooth by the way and its challenging at the moment..that guy is very smooth. thanks for that
    Last edited by livewire80; 05-06-2007 at 12:40 AM.

User Info Menu

yeah man just set ya click to quarter notes, think in triplets like 1. trip. let. 2. trip. let. an so on the numbers would be your click 3 in the time of...
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Glad I could help! I think the best way to get the sticking is just to count out the triplets. The snare hits the middle note of the triplet so its kinda like this
    H s H H s H H s H H s ( H = hi hat , snare = S ). If you look at it after the initial start of the beat pretty much all your going to be doing is hitting the hi hat twice and then the snare, then repeat. As for the ghost notes I find it easier not to worry so much about keeping you stick really low and stuff, just close you eyes or look away or something and just play it until they sound right and go from there.

User Info Menu

cheers mate..thanks for your help

User Info Menu

I'm working on smoothing out my sound playing that rock shuffle. It's easy to play but hard to make groovy.

User Info Menu

its really starting to make sense now. its tricky in the sense that the hi-hat or ride for example, stay at a shuffle feel while the all the notes in between are played in triplets pretty much. alot of fun to play and great for cordination development also.

User Info Menu

I havent had lessons in a few tyears. I cant even remember what it is (watches videos to learn whats goind on) :O My goddddddd. That was wicked. What a lush kit. I would cream my jeans to get my hands on that!..... Any one know what it is?
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 05-15-2007 at 07:16 AM.