Thread: cover songs

User Info Menu

Default cover songs

Guys its been 2 years since i have posted on this site. i am now trying to get a band going and have all the pieces in place, (guitarist, bass, and singer) just starting out this weekend coming up. I have not played with guys since i was in my twenties. I am now in my mid 40's. Young at heart and never want to grow up LOL! Anyway, i am now learning new covers (80's90's and current)that i never knew before and am having a hard time at it. I have a e-kit at home that i practice on. I play with the songs threw my headphones and mp3 player. My problem is, i think i try to copy the songs too much and struggle. How many of you just play it your way or do you copy the cover song as best as possible? I am not as good as the other members think i am and i am afraid of disapointing them. Can i play the songs to my best ability and get away with it? or do you guys play covers to sound like the album? Sorry if this is a stupid ? but i have been out of the loop for some time. Thanks
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

Default Re: cover songs

Dont worry yourself with perfection. Just give it all you got.

As far as covers go, when I'm listening to a band play covers I like it to sound pretty close to the original but with some of the cover drummers own spice.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Thanks homeularis, I have listened to covers on youtube and see that every drummer plays them a little different. I was a drummer in a original band in the 90's and have not played many covers b4.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I usually listen to a song a heck of a lot of times before i sit down at my kit to play it. I usually want to play a song just right. Air drum! It helps a lot! No joke!

But if a song calls for it, put your own fills/parts in, but only if you can. Like if a drummer does a little solo in the recording, put your own little solo in!

And most importantly, have fun. Whats the point in being young at heart without fun? dont get frustrated Dave. You got this, you're the almighty Dave! :D
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Cool! nice advice. Will do
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

Dave, I agree with all of the above. I don't think that I've ever played a cover song note for note. I would also bet that most drummers would tell you the same thing about their playing. I know exactly what you're going through! I played the drums up until I was 25 and then stopped. I didn't touch another drumstick until I was 41. That was three years ago and still going strong. After my 16 year hiatus, I joined a working band that had already been playing together for 5 years. I didn't practice prior to joining or anything. It was a spur of the moment decision after I saw an ad in the classifieds. I just jumped right in and gave it all I had. First thing that you need to do is to relax and have fun as jordison suggested. That is what it's all about. Also, I guarantee that your new band mates will not play every song exactly as the original either. There is another tidbit that I'd like to mention...It's much better the second time around! HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Welcome back. Your story is not unique. I started my first cover band about 7 months ago at age 49. Unless you are covering RUSH tunes or are in a "tribute" band, give yourself some leeway on the drum parts. Capture the essence, nail the breaks, and play the song.

Oh, and I bet your band knows exactly how good you are...your perception is likely the one that is a tad too critical (another common trait).

Hope you visit more often. There is a lot to learn from these guys...

User Info Menu

I would have to agree with the above - I am in an originals band but have done some cover stuff in the past and the only time you need to be exact to the original track is when the audience know exactly how its supposed to be. So if a song starts with the drums or has a particular fill that everyone remembers or that the song is known for then you need to study those bits to get them as close as possible - other than that playing something similar to whats played on the original is good enough.

Have fun dude.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Hey welcome back!

I have started the same thing, only no band. But I like to try to play along with songs and get them as close to original as I can. Good way to learn new things and new beats.

I used to pressure myself with being exact. But I got to the point anymore I just play along and get it close. Tell you the truth, unless another drummer is in the audience and knows that song, he'll be the only one that will know. As long as you keep count, fit in the fills, I don't really think anyone else is gonna notice or really care as long as the band as a whole sounds good.

I got to the point now where I put my own fills in and to me sounds pretty sweet sometimes.

Id just play it to best of my ability and if you make a mistake.... keep going and act like they did something wrong not you. LOL!!!!

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Welcome back Dave! I would be happier playing my own rendition of a cover song. I also prefer to watch a band play what the song feels like to them. Music is about expression and feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    welcome back. Your story is not unique. I started my first cover band about 7 months ago at age 49. Unless you are covering rush tunes or are in a "tribute" band, give yourself some leeway on the drum parts. Capture the essence, nail the breaks, and play the song.

Oh, and i bet your band knows exactly how good you are...your perception is likely the one that is a tad too critical (another common trait).

Hope you visit more often. There is a lot to learn from these guys...
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Welcome back Dave! I would be happier playing my own rendition of a cover song. I also prefer to watch a band play what the song feels like to them. Music is about expression and feel.
    Nicely put! Thanks for all the responses i appreciate it. Band is coming along. 2 practices and we have 3 songs down. Not bad seeing the singer was new too. And to DrummerD, yes, the second time around is great but i could get in better shape for sure LOL
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I love covers. I like to hear each musician put his spin on the song but still stay true to the original.

For me, I approach the song trying to capture the feel of the original, nail the key parts but do my own thing.

User Info Menu

I think improvisation is a talent all its own and I think its great.As long as the cover is not so turned around that the audience cant relate to what it is youre playing,I think it puts a personal stamp on it.Exact covers are good but I think it is more fun to experiment with adding your own style,as long as it doesnt ruin it.Heres "Old Man" by Neil Young done in quite a different way which I really like.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjAXFce7sSA"]YouTube - Lizz Wright - Old Man[/ame]
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 02-10-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Well I always try to cover the song as closely as possible to the original but when you can't you can try to improvise and find an easier way to do it but still try to make it sound like it's supposed to sound like. It mostly happens on the fills and stuff like that.

User Info Menu

WOW!! Her voice is luscious. I like that range much more than the super high soprano 'pop' sound.

Thanks for turning me on to her stuff. I am forwarding YT links to our singer NOW!

User Info Menu

Don't stress & Welcome back Dave, I went thru the same thing when I got started up again after a real long break. Just know them special parts to the song everybody knows because they will be looking for them, stay in the pocket and don't overdo anything. Good Luck !!!

User Info Menu

What a great version of "Old Man", Wow.
    Not much more to say then what has already been stated. Play what's in your heart and incorporate that into the song. You have to keep those "Key Signatures" of the song in there so people recognize it, but then again I've heard covers that sound nothing like the original. Actually it depends on how the band as a unit wants to cover the songs. If the decision is to cover the songs like the original, then keep those key signatures in there , but put your own thing in as well.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    WOW!! Her voice is luscious. I like that range much more than the super high soprano 'pop' sound.

Thanks for turning me on to her stuff. I am forwarding YT links to our singer NOW!
    Its funny how this worked out xsabers.I was turned on to Lizz Wright when I saw a thread on here where someone was talking about good jazz singers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Wow! Lizz Wright and the band sure did justice to "Old Man," and it should say everything that needs to be said for this thread. Amazing voice!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Here's one song I got to learn by Sunday. The thing is you have to ask yourself, is do you go with the original....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3hBYTkI-sE"]YouTube - Bill Withers - use me[/ame]

...or a cover version of it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMb8BhCXNs4"]YouTube - D'Angelo w/ David Sanborn & Friends - Use Me[/ame]

Both versions are pretty cool to do, though I have to admit I do have to simplify the second version a bit....I'm not Oliver Gene Lake by a long shot, lol!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Look man, if you ever want Steel Dragon to call you and give you an audition you are going to have to nail the squeal man... play it like the song, the music deserves to be played right!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMHkye_rRw"]YouTube - Rock Star (film): Audition for Steel Dragon[/ame]

haha I'm kidding that's my favorite rock movie I think.

in all actuality my experience has been that most 'musicians' are way less picky about the drums than I am. I feel inadequate if I am missing something, but as long as I am in A pocket they don't notice. meh. guitarists are too caught up in themselves and their face melting solos to notice your fill is a little different, LOL!

User Info Menu

hey also I saw that earlier reference to the Neil Young "Old Man" cover, this is my favorite but I'm probably partial cause these guys are friends of mine:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIR7IYetxSE"]YouTube - RiverBend - "Old Man" (live in Seattle)[/ame]

Riverbend from Seattle.