Thread: Lug Problem

User Info Menu

Default Lug Problem

So I was switching heads on my Pork Pie Big Black brass snare today. I had the stock remo heads still on the Pork Pie, and I wanted to change the reso to an Evans Hazy 300 and the batter to an Evans reverse power dot. I got the power dot new but I had the Hazy 300 on my old snare drum which is a Catalina ash snare. I took both heads off both drums and re-tuned my Pork Pie. After I get that sounding good, I go to re-tune the ash snare but I ran into a major lug problem. I put on the batter head with no worries, but I couldn't screw in one of the lugs on the reso. Turns out that the lug that I was trying to put the screw? (I'm not sure what they're called) in didn't have the little piece sticking out of it to put the screw in. It is hard to explain, which is why I'm including photos. The piece that is missing is pointed out in the first photo. The second photo shows the lug that is missing the piece. So I cannot screw in the head without it.... The piece is stuck inside the lug because I can hear it inside of it if I turn the drum upside down. What should I do in this situation? Is the drum broken? It is not too urgent of an issue for me because my primary snare drum is now my Pork Pie. But it would be a shame to this my old snare go. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lug Problem

Jaguar, this is no big deal. First, you'll have to remove the reso head and loosen the batter. Remove both tension rods/screws from the problem lug. Then, take the lug off of the drum by unscrewing the two screws/hex head screws located inside of the shell. Once the lug is removed, you'll see the part that the tension rod screws into and there should be a piece of plastic/teflon/nylon (holder) somewhere there also. Or, possibly a spring? I've never taken a Catalina apart before. Anyway, just look at the other end and see how these parts are assembled. Put the part that the tension rod screws into back in place like the opposite side and then insert the plastic/teflon/nylon or spring back into place like the opposite side. If the piece that supports the part that the tension rod is broken or missing, you'll need to replace it. It shouldn't be hard finding a replacement. Just remember, if you're not sure how it goes together, just look at the opposite end. Good luck.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Please post questions if there is something you don't understand.

One thing I wanted to mention is don't over tighten the lug when you attach it back to the shell.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Hey DrummerD I really appreciate the great advice. I fixed it! I detached the lug and put the small parts where they needed to be. Thanks for the tip about no overtightening with the screwdriver too. I basically did it finger tight and then gave it a couple of turns. Thanks again for the help!

Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Fantastic jaguar! I'm glad that I could help.
    "it is what it is"

User Info Menu

Awesome! Learn something new everyday.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Yes cause this is something that I have never seen or heard of before and it educates you in case it ever happens. Thanks