Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chipping sticks on the high hat.

User Info Menu

Default Chipping sticks on the high hat.

I am continuously replacing sticks I`ve chipped away on the high hats. Any technique/hardware tips to stop this? I`m thinking my elbow is too low.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Chipping sticks on the high hat.

take a picture of your set up mate
    you may have your hats to high
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

For me, I like to play on the edge of the cymbals alot and chipping sticks is a fact of life. I just replace when needed.
    Dropping your hats lower will help though.
    The more extreme the angle you have your stick at when contacting the cymbal edge, the more the chips will fly also.
    Maybe leveling your sticks out a bit will help too.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

If by chipping sticks you mean driving them into the edge and getting white marks that are perpendicular to the stick itself, than that is a bad idea. Driving into a cymbal edge is a surefire way to break the cymbal, as well as go through sticks faster. Glancing blows are your friend, they will extend the life of cymbals and sticks significantly, and bring out more sound.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    take a picture of your set up mate
    you may have your hats to high
    This was my problem, I rarely chip them now that I lowered my hats.

User Info Menu

Cymbals are metal and sticks are made of wood (usualy). The weaker substance will always lose out. Don't worry about it, no need to change the set up if you like it that way. Just buy more sticks.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm, try snaking your wrist alittle more with that hand. I still chip them on occassion, but not very often.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I used to chip my sticks pretty good too. I lowered my hi-hats slightly, and that put an end to the problem.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I like to do rolls on my hats so I have them really low and I never chip a stick.I keep my cymbals tilted so I can reach the bells easier.I never chip a stick on those either.Experiment and find what you like the best.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Hi thanks for all the posts. I took a while getting back but in the meantime have found the solution to the problem, and it`s one you all have not mentioned so it may pay to listen up. This could save you a lot of money.
    Find the hi hat tilt adjuster under the bottom hat. Turn it up so the playing edge is tucked underneath the top hat and "walaa"! Your sticks are now always hitting on the rounded surface of the top hat, not the sharp edge of the bottom hat. You can still "mash" the hats, rock style. You can still have them up high, so the left hand has plenty of space to do what it`s got to do. But the life of the stick is greatly extended.
    We could make a serious contribution to the enviroment by spreading this knowledge amongst drummers! I know it will save me $20 a month. Good luck I hope this info serves you well.
    Last edited by minus 1; 04-06-2011 at 06:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Collect the chips and open your own saw mill....

.................I’m not helping am I?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by minus 1 View Post
    Hi thanks for all the posts. I took a while getting back but in the meantime have found the solution to the problem, and it`s one you all have not mentioned so it may pay to listen up. This could save you a lot of money.
    Find the hi hat tilt adjuster under the bottom hat. Turn it up so the playing edge is tucked underneath the top hat and "walaa"! Your sticks are now always hitting on the rounded surface of the top hat, not the sharp edge of the bottom hat. You can still "mash" the hats, rock style. You can still have them up high, so the left hand has plenty of space to do what it`s got to do. But the life of the stick is greatly extended.
    We could make a serious contribution to the enviroment by spreading this knowledge amongst drummers! I know it will save me $20 a month. Good luck I hope this info serves you well.
    Yeah, I noticed that phenomenon too. Tilting the bottom cymbal is what will also give you that extra sizzle to the hi-hats as well.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

chipping the tip or breaking the shoulder?

User Info Menu

I know it will save me $20 a month.

Welcome to the board-1 if I have not already said so.

I was going to say chipping is normal but 20$ / month is roughly 2-3 pairs of sticks and that is excessive, definately not normal.

Good to hear you found your solution. For years I have used electrical tape about 1 1/2 inches down from the tip for about 4-5 inches in length and that saves the life of the stick even longer.

It may add a bit more weight but I cant tell the difference. It also helps not to wail the day lights out of your cymbals which I understand is hard if you like metal etc.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEPULTURA View Post
    Collect the chips and open your own saw mill....

.................I’m not helping am I?
    Love it! Wondering if maybe some of us have collected enough wood chips to make recycled furniture?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xymbalreborn View Post
    I use and endorse SilverFox sticks. For wood sticks, they last pretty long. I've had the same pair for 3 weeks now and I play pretty hard (I don't bash though). Just check them out! A link to their site is in my sig.

Lowering the hat a tad does help though.
    3 weeks? My pair of Vic Firth's have lasted me about a year.
    Our weapons were our instruments
    Made from timber and steel
    We never yielded to conformity
    But stood like kings
    In a chariot that's riding on a
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

@Drumbledore Iv hear IANAT has a heck of a broken stick collection
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

How often/hard do you play? Truth be told, I have a pair of Regal Tip 5B from 1990 still only because I hardly ever used them. I mean, it's still a whole stick but the tips and shoulders are chipped to hell and the shafts are dented all over.

When I was in college and played just about everyday, I used Vic Firth 5A sticks. With normal playing, I'd break (on average) one a week.
    I play most days ranging from about 15-20min of avarage bashing. Some days when i am feeling it more than others i will play for an hour or more.

I use to break sticks often but i changed my style and now i havn't broken a stick for about a year. They are quite worn tho! I do hit the drums pretty hard aswell.
    But stood like kings
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

How lucky your VF sticks last that long! I used to use Ahead sticks (the metal/plastic ones) and I actually broke 3 of them. Not from cymbal playing though. They broke in the middle of the shaft from shooting the snare! Most of my sticks actually break or split from playing in the middle. Very rarely do they break from cymbal-work.
    Aren’t Ahead sticks quite expensive compared to other branded sticks such as Vic Firth and Pro mark?
    But stood like kings
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

Yeah they are! It's around $40 a pair! All things considered, they did last me 10 years and 2 of them broke in the past 3 years. I had to replace the shaft covers and tips often but it only costs a few bucks to buy replacement parts.
    I had a go with the ahead sticks once. Not my thing, i like the old fashion wood sticks better. Each to there own tho!
    But stood like kings
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

I`m in Aus so a pair of Vic`s is $20.
    My sticks would chip from the tip down about 7-8cm. All coming from the exposed lower cymbal lip. Scince tilting the bottom hat it`s been a month of hours long playing and the sticks are virtually not chipped at all. Dented, yes but not chipped. It`s great because I still play the same technique.
    If you think about it, it is quite sraight forward as to how it works. Because the hat is angled some of it`s length is used going up. Therefore it doesn`t reach as far horizontally. Thus the top hat is sheilding the cutting edge of the bottom hat.
    Nothing is going to stop them cracking in the middle except maybe a more indepth understanding of dynamics. Just be careful your ears don`t give out before your wallet.
    Last edited by minus 1; 04-11-2011 at 03:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Glad you found the solution but FYI it's "Voilà"
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Loosen the top hat a might too.That will promote a good swish and help keep your sticks from hitting too direct.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Wow thanks for the solution. I will try. I haven't broken any sticks for 4 years and then all of a sudden I broke 3 in 3 weeks. I resorted to buying laminated birch sticks which are heck heavy but I love the hard hit it gives even though they're nearly twice as heavy as regular hickory 5A.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit_Salad View Post
    Wow thanks for the solution. I will try. I haven't broken any sticks for 4 years and then all of a sudden I broke 3 in 3 weeks. I resorted to buying laminated birch sticks which are heck heavy but I love the hard hit it gives even though they're nearly twice as heavy as regular hickory 5A.
    You will most likely find that stepping up and playing with heavier sticks will really help your playing. I found that it helped me with speed, stamina and accuracy on the drum kit. Once you go back to playing with your normal stick selection (I take it) the 5A you will notice a change. I know it helped me.

I went from playing a 5A like yourself to a pair of Vater sticks that feel like tree trunks compaired to the 5A's. (Not sure what line they where)

This wasn't a choice I made, I just broke my 5A's and had the vaters lying around from a gift from a friend. I use them now to warm up before i play a show or anything important. Once you switch back to the 5A's after using a quite heavier stick to warm up, your hands and arms seem to gluide around the kit. Give it a try and see how it goes for you. Hope it helps
    But stood like kings
    Record wheel