Thread: Jammin

User Info Menu

Default Jammin

What do you guys think about Jamming with people Verses practicing drums, which one is more useful? is jamming absolutely essential to becoming a good drummer, if so.... i'm screwed!??!

User Info Menu

Well man all jamming does is help you practice what you normally practice to music haha. In my opinion i think it helps you expand your style and your confidence. I practice daily, but also have a band if i just practiced i dont think i would be as confident nor as good. oooh and i dont mean confident in a VAIN way i just mean more comfortable with your own playing

User Info Menu

Playing with other musicians is absolutely essential to becoming a well-rounded drummer.

User Info Menu

well looks I better go find some jammers..

User Info Menu

It's so hard to find people to jam with though... I just get whoever comes to worship practices
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

my friend from my church, hes pretty good at guitar, accept i tried to jam with him and after about 5 seconds he goes into space and does some solo, every time. Hes not to familiar with what jamming is all about. I'm not saying i am either but i know enough to say, you have to play off each other and compliment each other musically, and just have a blast.

User Info Menu

Musicians that are well versed in all aspects are a must. Also they need to know some of the theory behind the music, not just learn by the song. That makes them sooo mush better.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Cool Jammin'

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    my friend from my church, hes pretty good at guitar, accept i tried to jam with him and after about 5 seconds he goes into space and does some solo, every time. Hes not to familiar with what jamming is all about. I'm not saying i am either but i know enough to say, you have to play off each other and compliment each other musically, and just have a blast.
    You nailed it in the last sentence, bro'...jammin' is playin' off each other...whether you start it or somone else starts it, you listen to what the other player is doin' and go from there. For example, your guitar buddy starts a basic riff, and you jump in and play off of it. (When I'm jammin' with my bongo-playin' buddy, for example, he'll start the beat on the bongos, and I respond with a different, but complementary riff on the congas.)

There are times and places when a solo is okay, but not five seconds into the jam. However, if your jammer is goin' off on a tangent, it's essential (no pun intended) to keep the beat goin'. The base of a successful jam is one of the jammers needs to keep the beat steady and strong so the others can play off of it. And the jammers should be ready to switch off, so they can't stay out in space forever. For example, I nod or gesture toward the bongo man so he can take it, or vice versa. Of course, if we're doin' some serious cookin', I might even shout at him like "TEAR IT UP BRO!" (we get a little wild sometimes!)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I'd be too embarrassed to play with anyone right now LOL

User Info Menu

Playing with other people takes alot of the attention off of you, which in my case is good because I'm not all that great. I love playing to my guitarist. We're thinking of redoing No More Tears by Ozzy.
    Jamming is just great for testing how far you've progressed as a band member, but your own practice and dedication are what get you there in the first place. I cant stand jamming with suckas, straight up g lol.
    And don't be embarrased, Susan. I'd love to jam with you if I had another instrument lol. Just don't go jamming with stuck ups who think they're pros.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

The music course i did called them Jam Stealers! :P We had them around my mates place when we were messing around yet. Reemming off cover after cover as if we cared. Me and tom. We do well together. We always end up stopping mid jam laughing at how well we pulled off this wicked thing that shows off the other person. By being complex yourself. If that makes sence :S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Playing with other musicians is absolutely essential to becoming a well-rounded drummer.
    I completely agree with drummer.

I also find myself alot more creative when I am playing with other musicians rather than by myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    I completely agree with drummer.

I also find myself alot more creative when I am playing with other musicians rather than by myself.
    I agree i come up with stuff i wouldnt normally think of by myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen
    I agree i come up with stuff i wouldnt normally think of by myself.
    I don't think anyone would want to hear what I come up with LOL

User Info Menu

drum_chick, you can have a jam with something as simple as quarter or eighth notes on the kick. If you lay down a very simple groove it may give more room for others to stretch out more.

As to that guy that keeps going off on solo's, UGH! That's what's known as being totally unmusical. Having a guitar and an amp doesn't make someone an artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    drum_chick, you can have a jam with something as simple as quarter or eighth notes on the kick. If you lay down a very simple groove it may give more room for others to stretch out more.

As to that guy that keeps going off on solo's, UGH! That's what's known as being totally unmusical. Having a guitar and an amp doesn't make someone an artist.

Yes i love that RD, solos are cool if used properly remember that kiddies :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen
    Yes i love that RD, solos are cool if used properly remember that kiddies :D
    Don't get me wrong, guitar solos are the whole reason for music. The trick is to get the lesser...er..uh..I mean other musicians to think they're contributing just as much as the guitarist.

drum_chick, I'm gonna need you to load for me again.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 05-15-2007 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I would love to try it. I'm going to ask my brother and try to convince him to jam, just the two of us (he plays pretty good guitar).
    DC, dare to it! I'm sure I'm below your level and once you can play simple rithms, well, then you can make your contribution! I believe that's the reason for playing. To have fun and to be part of the music.

User Info Menu

Cool Jammin'

Quote Originally Posted by Alaman
    ...once you can play simple rithms, well, then you can make your contribution! I believe that's the reason for playing. To have fun and to be part of the music.
    You have to start somewhere, amigo... the simple stuff is what you build upon...and between practicing and jamming, you get to your goal. Remember, however, the real fun is in the journey...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I see jamming as a way to put everything you know from practicing into music.

Like that cool riff you came up with when you were practicing, you use that beast in a song that your dudes/dudettes came up with and you are now all the sudden better skilled in their eyes.

But you have to keep it balanced! If you don't practice and think of those cool riffs, then you have no ammo when you jam.

So as for a bottom line:
    Keep it balanced.

Hope it helped!!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

jammin heck yeah lol...i look at it as a way to have fun and be stupied ...and make crap up...and sum times it sounds kinda kewl lol

User Info Menu

It helps you make new things up because your hearing different rhythms you prolly never thought of making up. You can then take them home and refine them for the next jam. I dont spend enough time practicing so im stuck in a weird way. Cant wait for the kit! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters