Thread: Floor tom help

User Info Menu

Default Floor tom help

with my 12" rack tom, I can get this perfect "dooo
    .................................................. ..................oooooo" sound. that beautiful downward pitch bend. but I can't seem to do that with my floor tom. I just can't replicate the downward pitch bend. any suggestions

(floor tom is 16" with a evans g2 head. I'm open to head suggestions too.[ reso's and batters] )
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom help

Place some foam rubber or other padding under the feet for starters. It will awaken the monster so you can hear it growl. Then you can properly tweak the tuning. I typically have my FT reso looser than the batter.

User Info Menu

Personally when I have a problem with a tom(usually my 12" rack) I tune the reso just above wrinkle and then tune my batter by 1/8 or less turns until I find the sound I want I then find the lug that sounds the best and try to tune the rest to it(alot of work I know) I then tune my reso to match.

I am always disappointed with the sound of my 12" rack tom so I do this alot. Oh ya I am using Aquarian Response II's coated heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Place some foam rubber or other padding under the feet for starters. It will awaken the monster so you can hear it growl. Then you can properly tweak the tuning. I typically have my FT reso looser than the batter.
    wait, putting padding under the feet makes it resonate?
    but my drums are on carpet...
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretschfan:) View Post
    wait, putting padding under the feet makes it resonate?
    but my drums are on carpet...
    Yes!!! Mine are on carpet on a wooden riser and the foam adds about 100% more sustain. I use the dense foam left over from lining my cases on one set. On the other, I use some gray packing foam from a computer box. Just a 2" square under each foot. There are also products from Pearl, Sleishman, Remo, Gibralter, etc... that may accomplish the same results.

User Info Menu

I have those air suspension feet on my floor toms pictured above from Pearl. I never have any problems with the floor tom sound.

User Info Menu

mine are suspended. also makes them alot easier to play
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

I personaly dont care for the pitch bend sound. I like a resonating drum, but with a quick decay. It's hard to describe the sound with text...
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Listen to this jam... This is Dweezil Zappa's band, "Zappa Plays Zappa" The drummer is Joe Travers, and he's absolutely amazing.

This is the sound I'm trying to describe... fat... resonant.... quick decay.

There's great example at 9:00 after Schiela Gozales does an amazing sax solo.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLc2Jx58aIU"]YouTube - Pound for a Brown[/ame]
    Last edited by CycleDude; 03-04-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Downward pitch bend is a result of the reso being tuned lower than the batter. I rather enjoy the spring loaded Mapex floor tom legs.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Listen to this jam... This is Dweezil Zappa's band, "Zappa Plays Zappa" The drummer is Joe Travers, and he's absolutely amazing.

YouTube - Pound for a Brown
    Yeah, I totally agree, floor toms are more about quick decay
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post

YouTube - Pound for a Brown
    Oh no, those things are resonating long after he hits them. Listen at 2:20 to 3:00 and watch for that tom roll. Listen when he ends it and hear the long sustain. The reason it's not more audible is the miking. Top head miking brings out the attack, that's why everyone does it.

As for OP, you've got to drastically tune the heads to different pitches. Tune that batter side up. Keep that Reso head low tuned. My advice. Tune the Reso first, then bring the batter head up and up, until it sounds how you want it. It will never seem as pronounced as the higher drums due to the way lower frequencies work, but you can get it. A word of advice, most engineers hate the pitch bend sound. I'd pitch match your heads if possible, but that's just my preference.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I am always disappointed with the sound of my 12" rack tom so I do this alot. Oh ya I am using Aquarian Response II's coated heads.
    my twelve inch rack tom gives me hell as well its like grrrrrr tune and the 14 floor is also quite a pain
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

I'm still struggling with my floor tom. And I'm not in love with the sound of the 12. I desperately hate the EC2 heads.

User Info Menu

Could it be that EC2's and Aquarian Response's are too muffling, which makes it hard to get much sustain, even with thinner reso's, unless tuned very loose? I've occasionally used other kits (un-mic'd)that have thick, pinstripes and their sound is lost in the mix-but sound fine when hit with no other band instruments playing.
    I love my single-ply, clear remos with gel pads for their resonance and sustain, un-mic'd, while playing out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Could it be that EC2's and Aquarian Response's are too muffling, which makes it hard to get much sustain, even with thinner reso's, unless tuned very loose? I've occasionally used other kits (un-mic'd)that have thick, pinstripes and their sound is lost in the mix-but sound fine when hit with no other band instruments playing.
    I love my single-ply, clear remos with gel pads for their resonance and sustain, un-mic'd, while playing out.
    I can't speak to the Aquarians but I wouldn't say the EC2 has too much muffling. I just get a horrible plastic worrble at low tuning and it's too high pitched for my liking when you go higher.

User Info Menu

I get a wacky warble on my 16. I'm horrible at tuning. I use remo rings to help get rid of it, but it chokes the tone. Kinda hate it.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, mayanrelic.

I've found that Remo clear pins or Evans clear G2's work great on larger floor toms.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have clear G2s on all toms and G1s on the resonant.

I'm going to spend an hour before practice tonight and try to fix it. I have a regal drum torque, have had it for years. The tip is busted though. Might buy a new one and see if I cant fix it.