Thread: Left foot patterns

User Info Menu

Default Left foot patterns

How long did it take you to get coordinated with your left foot.

Ex: playing 8th notes on the high hat pedal, while doin crazy stuff with the rest of your limbs. I wanna be able to do it so bad!

User Info Menu

A good way to get started with this is take a pretty simple beat and play 8th notes on the ride cymbal alternating from the bell to the cymbal. Then practice playing the hi hat so every time you hit the bell or cymbal you hit with the hi hat.( So it lands on the quarter notes) Mess around with this even more by playing the hi hat on the up beat and the down beat and switching the ride bell and cymbal from the up to down beat or vise versa. Later you'll get used to it and should be able to keep time with you hi hat on any beat. Hope that makes sense lol

User Info Menu

got it all (pretty much) but im practicing independence.. that will work good to right? hehe

User Info Menu

those exercises are mind twisters

the independance exercises help achieve that too.

User Info Menu

Yea dude just start out playing quarter notes on your hihat( 1 2 3 4) while playing 8th notes on your ride (1+2+3+4+) start out playing a basic beat like hitting the snare on every 2 and 4 and your kick on 1 and 3s then gradually change up your kick and snare patterns. After you got that down practice playing 8th notes on your ride and on your hihat, that way every note you hit on your ride you hit on your hi hat. Thats what i am doing its helping very very much. hope i helped

User Info Menu

Im pratacing exatly that with my exercises.

"those exercises are mind twisters"
    yes they are!! holy

User Info Menu

yeah what i do is play one rudiment with my hands and a different one with my feet and it really helps for independence

User Info Menu

I like playing fast jazz stuff with the hats closing on 2 and 4, and it makes more complicated patterns seem a little more familiar.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cc777
    yeah what i do is play one rudiment with my hands and a different one with my feet and it really helps for independence
    yer, good exercise that. 16th notes on the kicks or 32nd notes with triplets on the cymbals and everything else

User Info Menu

Holy! I was trying to master this all day, okay try doing doubles with your hands (8th notes) and paradiddles with your feet (8th notes) all at the same time. Probably the most mind twisting thing iv'e tried to do so far.

User Info Menu

how long did it take me to learn total limb independence? oh, about another 35years. you will spend your entire life trying to acheive this. when you have perfected it then you will be a true master. about the closest i have seen to TOTAL limb independence would be horacio "el negro" hernandez. i want to be able to play seperate time sigs and patterns with each limb too dammit. i have been trying to play 6/8 latin clave with my left foot cowbell while playing 4/4 grooves on the rest of the kit. i have it down pretty good but need to get smoother.
    it is hard to get use to playing the hi hat pedal if you start out learning how to keep time mainly with your right side of your body like i did. a good excersize is to keep your right hand behind your back and use your left foot to keep time like you would with your right hand on the hats or ride.
    this is where starting out with lessons comes in. a good teacher will start you out thinking independently, where as most self starters will go straight to leading off with the dominant side of the body. why? because they go straight to the boom tap rock beats instead of learning and practicing rudiments.

User Info Menu

Thats probably the most impressive drummer iv'e seen before whao!! does he have a double kick too? sounds like it but he might just be using one..

User Info Menu

Try practicing using an open hi hat with double bass kick. Since i dont have my own kit yet i havnt perfected it. Barely even try to use it with jamming and recording with my mate. But just messing around its alot of fun. Something. Im not sure many people do. Just keep your toe on the hi hat and your heel on the left kick peddle. And learn what the angles of your feet do to make different sounds Hi hats are cool, And also underrated :>

(I just gave my trade secret away :( ) :P