Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose bass drum beater

User Info Menu

Default Loose bass drum beater

Whats up?! Just a question regarding my left bass drum beater (the one tied to the slave pedal). I had a show last night, and the first half of the set was fine, but during the second half, about half way through a song my left bass drum beater came flying out during a fast 16th note double bass part. I figured whatever, probably wasnt tightened enough. After the song I slid it back in, tightened it as hard as I could, and thought it would be fine for the rest of the show.

Next song, same thing happens. Long story short, the rest of the set I basically got to play double bass for the first half of a song, then the second half was all single. This is a big problem because double bass plays a large role in my playing, along with the beat build where theirs usually double bass at the end in the 'give all, end all' part...

So I guess my question is, do I need to replace the little screw that the drum key turns? I'm almost positive this is the problem...it seems like it might be stripped so no matter how much I tighten it, it just keeps loosening up. Not sure what this piece is called that I need. It's just one of those bolt-like screws that you use a drum key to tighten. Local drum shop? I think that'll fix her. Anyone else ever have this problem?
    |---Black Hole Conspiracy---|

Gretsch 4-Piece Catalina Club Mod G-Tube Finish
    -14" Snare - Remo Coated Emperor
    -12" Tom - Remo Clear Pinstripe
    -16" Tom - Remo Clear Emperor
    -22" Bass - Remo Clear Powersonic Bass
    -Gibralter Prowler 5611 Dub Kick

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Loose bass drum beater

The piece you are wondering about is called a key stud:

You can purchase one at any music store that carries drum gear or you can go to the major online outlets to find one. If the threads are stripped on the key stud, check the hole the key stud threads into before you try to thread a new one into it. Debris in the threaded hole may have caused the initial problem and forced the key stud to be cross threaded and evenually leading to be stripped completely.

If it's the Iron Cobra pedal that you have, here is the area in question. There is a sleeve that can slip out of the beater holder and a little dab of JB weld may help hold the sleeve in place.

User Info Menu

Now that's what I call an answer!
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    Yep, L8 is the master of visual aids!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I had the same problem at a gig this summer. The part Late8 showed stripped on my slave pedal. I just played the whole gig with single kick. Sucked, and was weird b/c I had never played our songs with 1 kick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    Wow! Next time I have a question about hardware, I know I can at least count on L8 to have an answer !

User Info Menu

Yes, late8 's tutorials are famous. Keep in mind though, that he usually can only provide detailed information about gear he currently owns, so for that other 1% of available gear in the world, you may need to find another source...

User Info Menu

also check the rod for any distortions..especially if you have a one sided head and can't rotate beater, in the past I have noticed that from tighting over and over again in same place it can get " worn " so the actual diameter is different..not as nice as Late8's answer, but i am but a simple man..LOL
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Yes, late8 's tutorials are famous. Keep in mind though, that he usually can only provide detailed information about gear he currently owns, so for that other 1% of available gear in the world, you may need to find another source...

Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreak View Post
    Matt

User Info Menu

It's only funny 'cuz it's TRUE!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I had to...
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I had the same problem at a gig this summer. The part Late8 showed stripped on my slave pedal. I just played the whole gig with single kick. Sucked, and was weird b/c I had never played our songs with 1 kick.
    Exactly! Same as me.

We have a band practice today, first one since the gig. I'm gonna run to the local music store and pick up a bunch of 'key studs.' I could probably use a bunch extra just because. I'll let you know if the problem is fixed. Betcha it is!

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AOGB21 View Post
    Exactly! Same as me.

We have a band practice today, first one since the gig. I'm gonna run to the local music store and pick up a bunch of 'key studs.' I could probably use a bunch extra just because. I'll let you know if the problem is fixed. Betcha it is!
    I picked up a couple. They are super cheap. Haven't had a problem since.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post

Hahaha - Yep. Too true - Late has some collection.
    Last edited by Jerzey Street Band (JSB); 02-07-2011 at 08:11 AM.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

If youve stripped the actual hole, than a new screw wont help. Youll have to re-tap the hole and buy a slightly larger screw.

User Info Menu

Okay, so I've been busy living in Green Bay celebrating a Packer Superbowl, but we managed to find some time late Monday for a band practice.

I hadn't gotten to the music store yet to buy any parts. I remembered that I had an old DW double kick in my closet, so I took that out, and took one of the screws out of the spot where I thought the one on my active pedal must be stripped.

I brought the screw to practice, only to find that it was too small for the hole on my Gibralter pedal. I'm guessing thats just because of the difference in brands?

Sooo, for the sake of practicing this week, and getting through our next show this weekend without missing bass drum hits, I rubbed super glue on the original screw, and all over the fastening area on the beater rod. Put it through, tightened 'er down. I plan on replacing everything. By everything I mean, the beater, the screw, and the piece that the beater rod sticks through (u-joint?). Super glue held for a quick 6 song practice....I was playing normal on it. I don't see any problems and it should hold fine for the show.

Oh yeah, also, before I glued it down, I switched screws from the original 2 beaters so I would be able to tell if it was the screw, or the piece the beater rod sticks through. Beater went flying again, so I know that it is the piece, not the screw (because the screw holds the right beater down just fine).

Question resulting from all of this, do music stores regularly carry the (3) parts I need to fix this? Or will I have to find part numbers and order from Gibralter? The whole beater system on my extra DW pedal seems very different, so I'm not even going to try and use that one as a replacement. Thanks.

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AOGB21 View Post
    Question resulting from all of this, do music stores regularly carry the (3) parts I need to fix this? Or will I have to find part numbers and order from Gibralter? The whole beater system on my extra DW pedal seems very different, so I'm not even going to try and use that one as a replacement. Thanks.
    You probably need to order your parts from Gibraltar. You didn't mention the type of Gibraltar pedal you own so I took the liberty of assuming this PDF is the one. Note the disclaimer for certain replacement parts for this particular pedal. I've highlighted the disclaimer in red as well as the part in question.

Good luck on the fix and please update us with your results so other who may have the same issues as you can be helped as well. Thanks!

late8

User Info Menu

I can only refer you to L8's answer

User Info Menu

Late8,funny I was just going to post that EXACT same thing..............NOt LOL
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Late8,funny I was just going to post that EXACT same thing..............NOt LOL

User Info Menu

Thanks, but thats not my pedal. The system on mine is different than that one. I inherited the pedal from my guitarist when I joined the band. He doesnt know the model of the pedal or have the box anymore. I'll take a look at it when I go over there tomorrow. If I can't figure it out I'll just have to research all the models and find the one I have...

Is their a spot on the pedal it would be at? Like a model number on the bottom?

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

So forgot we had some recording scheduled for today. Went and did that. Beater stayed in no problem throughout all of the takes, which is a relief! I found out the model of the pedal too, btw. (Gibralter Prowler 5611).

BUT (theirs always a but with drum hardware) another problem came up. During fast parts, the pedal would begin to dislodge from the bass drum (mainly the left beater). Kind of hard to explain, but if you can imagine the left beater pushing the pedal away from the drum so the left gets further away, but the right stays the same (just angles towards the middle more and more). I've never had this happen before. Everytime it would move, I would just loosen the screw that you tighten in order to clamp the pedal to the drum, then push the pedal back on the drum and tighten it again.

This would work for about 1 take, then I would have to put it back flush again. It was a hassle if it would start moving away before the song was done, because then the volume level of the beaters on the drum would change resulting in a headache for the engineer, and usually a retake or a "pick up from their."

I survived the recording session, but we do have a show this weekend and I would like to get this figured out so I can play with confidence. When I was taking my kit down, I did notice (I'm an idiot) that the right pedal has the same screws used to tighten down those spikes that dig into the carpet that I use on the slave pedal. At least I think thats what they were....I've never used them before because I've never had any problems just tightening that screw to close the latch onto the rim of the drum. I won't be able to try it until our Friday practice before our Saturday show. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before, or if anyone thinks lowering these spikes down to the carpet will fix the pedal from coming dislodged from the drum. Thanks! and sorry for the noob questions. I haven't been drumming on a drumset very long.

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride