Thread: Double bass

User Info Menu

Default Double bass

Iv'e been thinking about double bass a lot lately. I always thought it would be cool to be good on just one pedal but... if I got a double bass wouldn't it just be a bonus since Id be getting a work out for not just my right leg. but my left leg too? so which is more beneficial for your overall leg work out

1)double pedal?
    2)single pedal?

User Info Menu

I think it depends on your style. I personally quite like double-kick. Others reckon if you can't do triplets and stuff on a single kick, then you don't deserve to play double. I think it depends on you. Generally it will give you better control of your left foot. Just remember that what ever you learn to play you will get comfortable with and it will be harder to relearn other things later. It is generally better to learn a particualr style or technique as soon as possible.

THat's just what I think
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I'm a beginner (as you know) and I have a double bass, because I want to play a double bass........ I use both of my legs equally as to get a great workout on each........

User Info Menu

i started double bass about 5 months into my drumming life and im so glad i did. Mike Portnoy will argue with you black and blue that NOT playing double bass will limit you in certain ways. Double bass opens up a new world.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but Mike Portnoy is a douche' so..........who cares what he thinks?

User Info Menu

Just so you guys know, i'm kidding.

User Info Menu

I think he is a good drummer, not the best or anything, but he is good - play's a hell of alot better than me that's for sure

User Info Menu

A lot of people seem to thin double kick is all about metal and just playing "as fast as you can" with solid blurs of notes. I personally use me double kick to do rhythms that i wasn't able to with one foot more often then I need to pull some insane speed. It's more about the style of your playing really. And you can't ago wrong owning both
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Yeah. I find people get caught up in doing the same things over again, copying everyone. I'm not saying i'm not guilty here too, just gotta make the music sound good! and doing whatever you need to achieve that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Just so you guys know, i'm kidding.
    YOU....kidding! No way, really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    Yeah. I find people get caught up in doing the same things over again, copying everyone. I'm not saying i'm not guilty here too, just gotta make the music sound good! and doing whatever you need to achieve that.
    I love the galloping beats And useing double kick on fills too. Like someone else said. Adds another dimension to what you play.

Metal heads just dont get it though. I have had so many people say that band would be so much better if they played more double kick. I mean really. Who cares??? Its art. No one asked why piccasso painted so obscurely or painted a different way. He just did!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    A lot of people seem to thin double kick is all about metal and just playing "as fast as you can" with solid blurs of notes.
    ya definatly check out most Primus stuff and you'll see how cleverly a double kick can be used.

Someone mentioned the words Four way autonomy to me. but i don't think thats relevant here as you are talking about muscle building right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood
    ya definatly check out most Primus stuff and you'll see how cleverly a double kick can be used.

Someone mentioned the words Four way autonomy to me. but i don't think thats relevant here as you are talking about muscle building right?
    Primus is such a perfect example man. I just started using double bass as well(ive on been playing drums for like 7 months) double bass is helping me build muscle and control in my left leg and adds a whole new world to patterns with the kick. Very fun.

User Info Menu

We just got a double bass pedal and I love it, it lets me do so much more. Don't know if I SOUND better, but it sure is fun. For me it kicks the tempo way up and gives me a fast beat to bang around with. My favorite part about practice, I always save it until the end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood

what about Paul Bastoff!!! perfect example. that guy is nuts!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    A lot of people seem to thin double kick is all about metal and just playing "as fast as you can" with solid blurs of notes. I personally use me double kick to do rhythms that i wasn't able to with one foot more often then I need to pull some insane speed.
    Me too. Im not fast but I can get some nice rythems out of it that I can't do with a single pedal.
    Drummer Chicks Rule