Thread: The Mods Need Your Help

User Info Menu

Default The Mods Need Your Help

Folks, it has come to the attention of the moderators that some abbreviations of what would be considered profanity has been creeping into a few posts. While this might be done to help make the site family friendly, as Drum Chat has always been, it would be appreciated if we could all refrain from posting even abbreviations of words that would not be considered family friendly. Please know that kids that may lurk on this site will most likely know what many of the abbreviations are anyway.

Thanks for your help with this fellow Drumchatters.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Mods Need Your Help

O,rly?

lol
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    O,rly?

lol
    2l8 for him

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Idk wut ur talkin abt...
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

On a serious note, it's always been that way. The words are starred out for a reason. Therefore, a profane word with a star in it or 2 stars in it, or 4 stars, or an abbreviation like WTF is the same as the word itself. This is just common sense we can all agree on.

We tend to not come down on people for every single post as we don't want to rule with a heavy hand. That said, a lot of people have been pushing the envelope lately and we need to remember, as PB stated, that this is a family-friendly forum.

User Info Menu

Guilty. I'll try and stop myself from using abbreviations which could offend people.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

On the other hand I was quite surprised that I couldn't write the word "Coc.kney" without inserting a fullstop in it so it wouldn't end up looking like ****ney. Hey I'm being serious, it just did that.....LOL!

Yeah, but on a serious note, I do agree with Drummer about how it's got to be a family friendly forum, it's just that a habit some Aussies have of inserting the word "blo.ody" whenever we get passionate or argumentative about a subject....I know, I can be guilty about it just as much as anyone else! But that's us I guess, we tend to call things as they are, I suppose. Can us Aussies be excused if we drop that word every now and then, or is that verboten too?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    On the other hand I was quite surprised that I couldn't write the word "Coc.kney" without inserting a fullstop in it so it wouldn't end up looking like ****ney.
    It's built into the system to automatically star out any four-letter words. Because the "C" word is among them, the system has no way of determining when it's being used in an accepted fashion and when it's not. So it's just a minor inconvenience we have to live with.

As a work around, if you ever need to use one of the blocked words, just put a star in it or a hyphen or something like this: Moby D-ick or Moby D*ck, and the system won't block it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    ... it's just that a habit some Aussies have of inserting the word "blo.ody" whenever we get passionate or argumentative about a subject....Can us Aussies be excused if we drop that word every now and then, or is that verboten too?
    To be honest (and I guess I'm showing my ignorance here), I didn't know it was considered profanity in other countries. I don't think Americans perceive it that way.

User Info Menu

Drumbledore, you and your mates can ****** well use the word ******. I honestly didn't even think of it as a swear word.

Seriously, though, if it is word or phrase that you wouldn't want a youngster in your country hearing, then it probably shouldn't be used here, since Drum Chat is sensitive to all the young drummers that might be lurking to find information. Drum Chat should be a site that any parents could feel is safe. What has been happening lately is that abbreviations for phrases that everyone would find objectionable if it was written out, have started being used. Unfortunately, kids know what they mean, and so it undermines the family friendly objective. We are just asking everyone help in making sure we maintain the family friendliness of our site.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I am doing my part! Had an idea to put the rules in my sig(at least temporarily), since there seem to be some who either miss or don't give enough thought to them. I'd hyperlink it but don't know how to on this site. I'm hoping the person will see the link, and as a result take the time to read rules and edit their post, thus avoiding unfavorable consequences and keeping them as a member. Hopefully it helps somewhat.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-07-2011 at 02:20 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    To be honest (and I guess I'm showing my ignorance here), I didn't know it was considered profanity in other countries. I don't think Americans perceive it that way.
    Oh cool, thanks Drummer...ya bloody beauty! now we can add that loveable Ocker flavour LOL
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I was surprised to hear anybody thought bloody was derogitory at all.There are songs,"Sunday Bloody Sunday" and all sorts of references out there like in the Supertramp song where they sing,"right,right,youre bloody well right.youve got a bloody right to say"...Besides,that is like water compared to the "white lightning" of American profanity!

As far as abbreviations go,on another forum I visit,anything not precisely expressed may be twisted around to mean something entirely different at your expense.So,I try to be very precise out of habit and the fact that I am in no hurry to write what I mean.I cant be in a hurry anyway,using just two fingers to type with!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I am doing my part! Had an idea to put the rules in my sig(at least temporarily), since there seem to be some who either miss or don't give enough thought to them. I'd hyperlink it but don't know how to on this site. I'm hoping the person will see the link, and as a result take the time to read rules and edit their post, thus avoiding unfavorable consequences and keeping them as a member. Hopefully it helps somewhat.
    You've been especially helpful lately Russ and I sincerely appreciate it.

User Info Menu

You moderators are really on the ball..... I did see a post today that used an acronym that was inappropriate and now you guys have posted to stop that.... Great Job Guys/Girls
    Last edited by brokenstix; 02-14-2011 at 05:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Glad to here it, My son reads this forum and I appreciate the FF atmosphere in here.
    I never understood why anyone wastes the time to type profanity. Keep up the great work mods!

User Info Menu

Although I may talk like a sailor in real life, it is refreshing to have a place like this where it's not allowed. I find it very easy to watch my language, and in a way i'm glad I have to. None of the rules in place here are outlandish, and I like that it breeds an atmosphere of respectfulness, acceptance and encouragement, which i'm sorry to say is rare on other forums. So thank you mods and drumbum for making this place as awesome as it is. Drumchat for life!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Guilty. I'll work on cleanin up my speech.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by defcon235 View Post
    Although I may talk like a sailor in real life, it is refreshing to have a place like this where it's not allowed. I find it very easy to watch my language, and in a way i'm glad I have to. None of the rules in place here are outlandish, and I like that it breeds an atmosphere of respectfulness, acceptance and encouragement, which i'm sorry to say is rare on other forums. So thank you mods and drumbum for making this place as awesome as it is. Drumchat for life!
    Im with you, I work in a shop full of guys and anything goes.

But when I get home theres no cussin in front of the kids. I enjoy the FFF here and have no issues watching what I say.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Oh, absolutely. At school, I can't go a minute without hearing a curse, or saying one, because it's like that language in one of the Spongebob episodes where Spongebob has to do something with his tongue so the other people can understand him; without curses, no one at my school would understand what the other person's saying.

It IS easy to watch your language. I do it at home, during class, when I'm around relatives,and here. I think that while DC commands respect from its users, it's encouraging them to find different means of saying what they feel instead of going out and saying something stupid, you know, like those ignorant comments you see on youtube about how one drummer is "way !#*@#$ better than this idiot." DC is very FF, i learned that when I first joined (I think drummer remembers) and hopefully with the help of everyone here, I think it will stay that way.

Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Oh, absolutely. At school, I can't go a minute without hearing a curse, or saying one, because it's like that language in one of the Spongebob episodes where Spongebob has to do something with his tongue so the other people can understand him; without curses, no one at my school would understand what the other person's saying.

It IS easy to watch your language. I do it at home, during class, when I'm around relatives,and here. I think that while DC commands respect from its users, it's encouraging them to find different means of saying what they feel instead of going out and saying something stupid, you know, like those ignorant comments you see on youtube about how one drummer is "way !#*@#$ better than this idiot." DC is very FF, i learned that when I first joined (I think drummer remembers) and hopefully with the help of everyone here, I think it will stay that way.

Jordison
    Well put, defcon and jordison.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html