Thread: 7 year old Jacob Armen video

User Info Menu

Default 7 year old Jacob Armen video

Gotta give credit where credit is due, this little dude is awesome.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8cvKImVadE"]YouTube - Jacob Armen drum solo, seven years old!![/ame]
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Default Re: 7 year old Jacob Armen video

This is the second time in a month I've felt like selling my kits and take up basket weaving.....this kid is just phenominal!
    Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Never mind the kit finish.....check out his chops when he was this age!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD8h5-b8MLQ"]YouTube - Jacob Armen & Father Drum Solo - Best Drum Solos[/ame]

And the guy still rips!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtIUyPukSTM"]YouTube - Jacob Armen Drum Etude #11[/ame]

This guy makes the Armenian community so proud....
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Gotta give credit where credit is due, this little dude is awesome.

YouTube - Jacob Armen drum solo, seven years old!!
    Is this late8 when he was little? Looks like the kits are about the same size!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    Is this late8 when he was little? Looks like the kits are about the same size!
    I wish!!! but not by a long shot!

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Drumble, I loved the solo with his dad and his current set is unbelievable.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Thanks for posting Drumble, I loved the solo with his dad and his current set is unbelievable.
    Anytime G/F......I heard of Jacob way way back, I think it was in an article by Drums And Drumming magazine, then I got to hear about him again through Armenian family friends who had seen him in the States. Heck, if a kid was already gifted playing those tricky time signatures, then you'd know he was already onto something!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 02-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Kind of cool the see the progression through the years. Thanks guys!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

During his Drum Etude #11, listen to the dynamic control he has with his feet. There is a point when the kick pattern is involved in a long crescendo while his hands are going up and down the dynamic range including a few phrases that begin with an sfp attack. Think that is hard to pull off well?

User Info Menu

Wow that is incredible. I definitely noticed the current bass sound levels too Sabers. He's crazy talented.
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    During his Drum Etude #11, listen to the dynamic control he has with his feet. There is a point when the kick pattern is involved in a long crescendo while his hands are going up and down the dynamic range including a few phrases that begin with an sfp attack. Think that is hard to pull off well?
    Heck yes. His bass drum dynamics are what made me seriously impressed. The only way I can double kick that softly is after I completely burn out my legs!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Try playing a pattern, even a simple one, where your feet (or foot) increases from ppp to fff while your hands are doing the opposite. See how smooth you can make it. There should be a point in the middle where they cross and for an instant they should be dynamically equal. Master that then make the patterns more complex. Record yourself and isolate the elements to see how true you are staying with it. I sense a lot of frustration in my imediate future...

User Info Menu

Try playing a pattern, even a simple one, where your feet (or foot) increases from ppp to fff while your hands are doing the opposite. See how smooth you can make it. There should be a point in the middle where they cross and for an instant they should be dynamically equal. Master that then make the patterns more complex. Record yourself and isolate the elements to see how true you are staying with it. I sense a lot of frustration in my imediate future...
    That reminds me of something I saw at music school when two percussionists from the States came over and played some John Cage stuff.

One thing that seriously impressed me was when one of the percussionists (who was playing a really gorgeous Sonor Artist Series snare) started playing softly and slowly with left hand while playing loud and fast with his right hand. He then started speeding up and raising the dynamics of his left hand, while slowing down and lowering the dynamics of his right hand. Both his hands then gradually passed each other so his left hand was playing loud and fast while his right hand was playing soft and slow.

It was REALLY mind boggling.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Yep, we tend to think of independence from a rhythmic point only. In fact it is musical independence incorporating all of the variables that we should be striving for...

Or we could just play LOUD and FAST...

User Info Menu

Or we could just play LOUD and FAST...
    Which is what I do most of the time
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Which is what I do most of the time
    Yeah....it's really hard to all of a sudden to go fast and quiet, takes quite a while and a lot of determination to do.