Thread: Hi all! I'm new to congas, but just bought a pair... I have some q's!

User Info Menu

Default Hi all! I'm new to congas, but just bought a pair... I have some q's!

they are used and fiberglass. The label reads, Latin Percussion, LP, M. Cohen, Palasaides, New Jersey. We bought em yesterday from a guy off craigslist, he said they were used in a one hit wonder in the 60-70's but this guy wasnt a social butterfly, and was kinda stand-off'ish... not that he was ripping us off, but just that he was awkward and didn't know how to talk to people. They came with seperate stands with casters, and also bags, which look like military issued canvas bags (one for each). The bags say *Cheryl McLennan* on the bottom, I don't think they were originally his and I don't know how he came across em. I've included pictures, any information on the congas history and quality would be appreciated. I've never owned congas, my husband is a guitar and drum player (mostly guitar) but we wanted to get some congas for me to play to harmonize. Thank you for any help- Jill

Last edited by hickman22; 02-07-2011 at 07:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi all! I'm new to congas, but just bought a pair... I have some q's!

almost forgot, here is a picture of the name on the bottom of the bag... Im curious to learn my congas history/story.... what was the bands name (this so called 'one-hit wonder'), was cherly mclennan the conga player in that band? etc.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi all! I'm new to congas, but just bought a pair... I have some q's!

LOL, soon this post should show up.

No, I'm not playing PB.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very cool set of congas! These are a vintage set. The US built at the original site is a great find. Thise bags were part of the original conga sale. These were included with the congas when they were originally sold back in the day. The stand is a vintage LP stand too.

This is a historical piece that you have purchased and with new heads they would be superior to any new Fiberglass drum made today.

This could be a collector's item in years to come. Take care of this as a set and kep the original parts together.

Thank you for sharing this find.

User Info Menu

Welcome to D/C hickman22, Nice indeed!

Great post Jerry, Nice bit of info.

User Info Menu

Any information Jerry posts is more than worthy to listen to, the guy knows what he's talking about. Hickman, that's a nice find you've got, should serve you well for many years to come.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Dont know anything about congas but they look flipping awesome

Welcome to DC hickman :D youll love it here everyone is really helpful :D
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bembe View Post
    Very cool set of congas! These are a vintage set. The US built at the original site is a great find. Thise bags were part of the original conga sale. These were included with the congas when they were originally sold back in the day. The stand is a vintage LP stand too.

This is a historical piece that you have purchased and with new heads they would be superior to any new Fiberglass drum made today.

This could be a collector's item in years to come. Take care of this as a set and kep the original parts together.

We tried to research em a little before we bough the pair, and found that most were going for $200-300 a piece, so when we saw em on craigslist for $100 total, we were stoked!!! Thank you for the information. Im really excited about em. I hope to learn more of their history related to a 'band/one-hit wonder' they could of starred in... may of been a tale, but who knows.
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been away from home for a few days so it's taken me a couple days to check up on your responses.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Hi all! I'm new to congas, but just bought a pair... I have some q's!

Hi Hickman. You have just made the most fabulous deal on congas I have ever heard of. The drums seem to be in very good condition, and should be worth at least five times what you paid for them. The skins seems to be in reasonable condition, so dont change for anything premounted. There are lots of info around here on how to get top quality skins and mount them. I have a Palisades Park glassfiber(Patato) myself, and the skins are probably original and very good. I am pretty sure you can play the skins on your congas as they are.
    Now you have a set of congas of top professional quality, and better glassfiber congas have never been made. Congrats.
    cat

User Info Menu

They are Made in Palisades Park before Lp out sourced to Asia. These are the original Lp glass drums w/ decent stretched white steer hides or cow hides from Chicago. These shells are not a re inforced as newer models. Theses shells tended to de laminate under the stress of tuning & the side plate lugs bent as well & later were made of thicker steel. The stands are prety basic of the same era ( early to mid 70's ) They are Ok drums & Salsa bands liked them for having more high end tone that cut through more than wood shells of the same era. They are not collectable for who owned them but have a resonable value for being originaly made in the U.S.A. I;d only pay $200 each & $25 per stand since so many other cleaner modern alternatives exist now & used drums are flooding the online sales markets as people dispose of non essencials & up grade to newer equipments. Even at $200 per drum, I'd add new heads & whatever hooks needed replacing, and some shell protectors which adds $$ to the investment plus clean up time , auto waxing the glass & metal etc. The stands are known to damage the shells if the rubber tips on the stand were to wear through & allow the metal tube to dig in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bembe View Post

At Jerry re: these shells vs new Lp glass shells. My problem w/ these glass shells are that it took years before they improved the flwas like : delaminating shells at the side plates from tension stresses. The sound edge which has a steel alma ring in it, was often not well installed & the air gaps in the resin would create big dips in the sound edges as the tensions forced the gaps to collapse the outer layers. ( I have repaired a dozen or so...in the late 70's into 80's ) Lp was forced to up grade and thicken the top portion shell to with stand the torque & tension. They were stronger and the side plates were also better. The Lp crowns were like bongo crowns used on congas ! They warped easily & often needed to be restored to orig condition before a new head would fit properly. I finaly had enough w/ Lp's products & what I considered the wrong direction in design issues & other scars from trying to contribute to Lp & getting burned...so I returned to other brands...but I liked Lp's later glass shells...only I loved them best if the heads were changed. Thats the trick...in glass drums ! Thin Asian heads make the glass sound cheap & yet a better cow hide warms them & you can counter the glass shells w/ well rounded tones of a good cow heads & newer crown / Rims.

User Info Menu

The head is most imprortant for good tone. Thanks for the structural pointers.