Thread: Anyone follow NASCAR?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone follow NASCAR?

This year is the 10th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt Sr's demise from NASCAR during the Daytona 500.

Tonight was a TV special honoring him called "The Day."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKLpNK6SqE"]YouTube - dale earnhardt-crash[/ame]

RIP DE!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone follow NASCAR?

Wow 10 years already! RIP DE!

Here is a fire at the track I work during race season.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2sIbTz-7cw"]YouTube - Big fire in pits ALMS Rd6 Mid-Ohio[/ame]

The Fuel man was at the track the following year.
    -Gretsch Catalina Maple
    -Sabian Xs20 14in Hi-Hat
    -Sabian Xs20 14in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian Xs20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian Xs20 18in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian AAX Omni 22in Ride
    -Sabian AAX V-Crash 16in
    -DW 3000 Hardware
    -Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal

~Sabian Squad~

User Info Menu

i am a jimmy johnson fan
    let go for another championship
    Last edited by Riouel; 02-12-2011 at 10:16 AM.

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Jimmy Johnson needs to stop winning...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohfirefighter View Post
    Wow 10 years already! RIP DE!

Here is a fire at the track I work during race season.

YouTube - Big fire in pits ALMS Rd6 Mid-Ohio

The Fuel man was at the track the following year.
    Thanks for all you do. I used to race simms and I always loved the Mid Ohio road course.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I love racing. It's the only sport I follow. Dale Earnhardt's death was a terrible tragedy. I'll never forget where I was when I heard the news.

User Info Menu

I used to be a big NASCAR fan.
    I've got pictures of Mrs. SGs with Davy Allison as he is signing our Sears Point tickets.

Almost everything NASCAR has done in the last 20 to 25 years has been aimed straight at attracting sponsor dollars.
    They looked the other way when Earnhardt would pull stuff on the track. And they have been doing the same thing with Hendricks ever since. And who knows what they are allowing through inspection for those guys.

They added the Championship Provisional because Richard Petty screamed so loud when he didn't qualify for a race late in his career. I was OK with that. Then they started provisionals for other things. The topper was when they guaranteed a starting place for the top 35 in points. They put that in place so they could justify the big money for sponsorship. You sponsor a team in that top 35 and you will see your car going around the track and on television every race no matter how poorly they qualified.

The Car Of Tomorrow turned it into a spec series.
    After trying to turn the sport squeeky clean so not to offend sponsors, they are starting to lose viewers which translates into sponsorship dollars going away.

So the latest trend is to play up any rivalry on the track or in the garage.
    They probably invent rivalries trying to creat interest.
    It is getting more like Sports Entertainment AKA Pro Wrestling.

Tony Stewart started to speak out a few years ago. It didn't last long.
    I'm sure owner Joe Gibbs took him aside and reminded him which side of the bread the butter is on, let alone the sponsorship contractual obligations.

NASCAR went Hollywood when Bill won his million dollar bonus in the '80s.
    Wall St and Madisin Ave took notice and the downhill slide started shortly after.

I would like to see Jimmy win a few more championships so the interest in the sport would fade away along with the money. Then maybe they could get back to the real racing that got me hooked on it a long time ago.

Also, they went and ruined the best track they had when they lowered the banking at Bristol.

Sorry about the rant!!
    www.screaminsgs.com

Ken Ardley - Stan Dette Music Productions

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...s-12079p2.html

User Info Menu

I hear you, SG.

There are a lot of things about the sport a lot of us disagree with.

All I can say is, "I grew up next to a local dirt track and have been loving racing ever since I could see over person in front of me. A lot of it is commercial BS but with it in the blood, I still love to watch it every week."

I've been a Mark Martin fan since he started. Can you imagine the frustration every year when he'd finish 2nd in the points? He's running out of years.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I think they need to go back to no restrictor plate, straight up hardcore racing like back in the 70's and 80's, once they slowed it down with the car of tomorrow everything got boring.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    I think they need to go back to no restrictor plate, straight up hardcore racing like back in the 70's and 80's, once they slowed it down with the car of tomorrow everything got boring.
    Agreed!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

shootout will start tonight

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    shootout will start tonight
    I'm there.

Already watched the ARCA race.

Maryeve....mmmmmmmm
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Edwards fan over here! NASCAR definitely needs to make some changes to keep the racing from becoming even more stale, generally speaking. The COTY should be kicked to the curb and some of the races need to be shortened.
    Kit: 65 Slingerland Modern Solo Outfit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fixthedoor View Post
    Edwards fan over here! NASCAR definitely needs to make some changes to keep the racing from becoming even more stale, generally speaking. The COTY should be kicked to the curb and some of the races need to be shortened.
    The COT is pretty much gone. After the airborn incidents last year the wing was removed. This year the front spoiler is gone.

It's getting there...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Aside from the changes to the front splitter and the rear wing isn't the profile of the car (curvature, angle, etc, of the hood, windshield, etc.) still pretty much the same?

User Info Menu

I used to follow it from the early 80's up until the day Dale got killed. Racing has changed into something that I just can't watch. Im all for taking it to new areas of the country, and the world, but they have crapped all over the folks who made them what they are. The day Dale got killed was the last time I watched an entire race. I flipped over the other night and saw groups of two cars more or less playing follow the leader. It actually reminded me of the old electric race car sets I had as a kid. Maybe my tastes have changed or something but I just can't watch it.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Heard the guy's name before, had no idea he was dead. From what I understand he was a prominent figure among Nascar racing, so it's a real shame to hear he's gone. It seems like a very dangerous but exciting sport for the racers, but i've never sat through a race before. I'll try to catch one if I see it on tv sometime soon.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Heard the guy's name before, had no idea he was dead. From what I understand he was a prominent figure among Nascar racing, so it's a real shame to hear he's gone. It seems like a very dangerous but exciting sport for the racers, but i've never sat through a race before. I'll try to catch one if I see it on tv sometime soon.
    Most people that don't watch NASCAR is due to the boredom factor. If you don't have a favorite driver you may not see the entertainment value.

I grew up around racing and might have chose that avenue if it wasn't for music.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Most people that don't watch NASCAR is due to the boredom factor. If you don't have a favorite driver you may not see the entertainment value.

I grew up around racing and might have chose that avenue if it wasn't for music.
    +1 when a race is 3-4 hour long you better like it

and what a race saterday

it was fun to see them 2X2

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Drive fast...turn left. No thanks...I'm good. Glad y'all enjoy it though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    +1 when a race is 3-4 hour long you better like it

and what a race saterday

it was fun to see them 2X2
    I usually record the races and watch them a few hours later. The 2 car packs were cool to see, I couldn't believe how fast they were at over 200 mph. Should be interesting to see how a larger group of cars will do.

What do you guys think of the changes in the points system and the qualifications to get into the Chase?
    Last edited by fixthedoor; 02-15-2011 at 09:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fixthedoor View Post
    I usually record the races and watch them a few hours later. The 2 car packs were cool to see, I couldn't believe how fast they were at over 200 mph. Should be interesting to see how a larger group of cars will do.

What do you guys think of the changes in the points system and the qualifications to get into the Chase?
    i didn't check that this year

i was like at the last moment

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I love fast cars and good TV coverage of fast car races. With that being said, I have a lot of respect for NASCAR but like Dawgkikker, I haven't sat down to watch a race since Dale was killed. NASCAR has lost a bit of "edge" and I understand why.

I grew up watching races on TV like the Firecracker 500 back in the mid '60s as a kid and it never gets old for me to watch today but I just can't sit down to watch the entire race from start to finish.