Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom angle!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Tom angle!!!!

Ok, so recently I've been looking at a lot of people kits and I noticed that generally the toms are flat or almost flat, however my toms which I mounted when I first got the kit and didn't really know what I was doing, are at a real angle. By angle I mean 60-70º from flat...so I decided I would put them flat. But as they're mounted on my BD when they're flat even at their lowest I hit the rim on the drum...:/ I was really confused with all this, I'm not tall but I'm by no means short so I couldn't understand how people could play them like that. I checked the height of my throne, but my knees are at a 90º angle when I'm sat down so it can't be that. Anyway after much confusion, filming myself drumming from all angles and watching drum videos all day I figured out what was wrong. My posture was horrific, I sat hunched while playing so obv I couldn't reach as high as I can when I'm sat upright with my back straight.

So problem solved? Well no not quite...now I jsut can't seem to be able to place my toms in a way that they are confortable to play...they're either too far apart from each other or one more angled that the other, etc, etc...

So after this huge post (thank you for your time if you've read this far) my question is, any tips?? I'll try and get some photos to explain what I mean tomorrow.

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom angle!!!!

Idk how people play them flat. I could do it if they were level with my snare, but with the size of my kick, the rims are like 3" above it so I have to angle them
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I play my toms flat, but I only have 1 rack tom, and I use a snare drum stand for it, I love the setup! Other people use clamps, and attach their toms to a cymbal stand. To get them flat, you either need a really thin tom, or use a snare stand/clamp it on a stand and have it offset from the bass drum.. Hope this helped!
    J-D

User Info Menu

I had to offset my toms to get them somewhat flat. I really like them offset and flat but when playing a 5 piece I have trouble with the my small tom being to close to my hi-hat. The only way I can get my setup just perfect is with a 4 piece. I recommend a tom stand or using a snare stand to offset your toms if you want them flat.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

I say flat or angled, it doesn't matter except for your comfort. If they have to be angled so be it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm assuming your toms are standard size. 12"x9" & 13"x10". If it's not, let me know. You can achieve flat or close to flat toms by taking a couple of multiclamps and mounting your toms via cymbal stand. Or, if you switch to a four piece kit, (Taking out 13"), you can mount your tom any way with ease.

Keep us posted on different stuff you try, your sizes would also help.

All the best,

Noah.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Toms are 12"x8" and 13"x9". Looks like I'm in need of some multiclamps then...I've always liked the idea of offset toms and I wanted my toms to be close to the same height as my snare. Will I get a better flow around that kit that way??? Thanks

User Info Menu

You really need a fairly short bass drum (18" to 20") for that to work. I have a 22" bass drum, and have had to mount them offset.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Yeah my bass is also 22"....

User Info Menu

I find a flat + offset tom improves fluency, they also say hitting a drum flat gives a better sound
    J-D

User Info Menu

When my toms are above my 20" kick, then they are pretty much flat. When I'm using my 22" I have to angle them just a little bit. I would say as long as the angle isn't at 75% or higher you should be just fine.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Your best flow is going to come with what fits you comfortably. Don't forget your seat height will also effect tom positions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDrummer View Post
    , they also say hitting a drum flat gives a better sound
    Thats a myth, a drum doesnt care what angle its sitting at, as long as the angle of attack from the stick is correct.

User Info Menu

It kind of is a myth, because both sides of the flat vs angled argument remain relatively unproven. You would have to take audio of a flat tom, and audio of an angled tom, hit with the same force and see if anything changes. I think a large part of it that will convince people which way is better, is which position is more comfortable, because in the end they have to play those drums and if it isn't comfortable but sounds good then they just won't do it.

Flat toms require almost perfect technique(to me anyway) to be able to rely on, and they can make your arm hurt with all the reaching. However, they are advantageous in a few ways. You can get your toms, and thus also your cymbals, an inch or two lower than they were previously. However you are likely to hit the edge of your cymbals with an amount of force which will considerably lessen their lifespan. If you're miking those toms, it's also that much easier to position them. This is perhaps unrelated, but you might notice that many websites display images of drumsets with flat as a book toms and snares. You might see some of the emo/hardcore or otherwise popular music types using this style in music videos. I guess it's for aesthetics/eye appeal more than anything else.

Angled toms are pretty much the opposite. You will have a higher clearance with the edge of the rim, the cymbal location rises, and if you're miking that will raise it even more depending on what you use. The toms are now relatively easier to hit, you are not prone to striking the edge of the cymbal thus extending the life of it, and you don't have to reach far. It's a very popular choice for all skill levels, even if it's not quite as aesthetically appealing for ads.

Each style has it's ups and downs in the end. Personally I like to angle a bit, but not too much. I guess every person it's different though- you should try each style until you find what fits you best.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-13-2011 at 07:38 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Thats a myth, a drum doesnt care what angle its sitting at, as long as the angle of attack from the stick is correct.
    +1.

IMHO flat toms is a trend in terms of looks. It allows you to always be hitting straight down which I think just allows a certain "style" to how you play. It certainly cannot affect sound as NR pointed out. I guess you start on flat toms that will feel right, just as starting with angled toms like us old folks did feels just fine to us.

In terms of fluency around the kit I actually think angled toms are easier. If I do a triplet across my two rack toms and my floor tom, my right arm naturally flows down from the 2nd rack tom to the floor tom. With flat toms, that would have to be a more deliberate motion.

TX said it best, either way is fine, but angling your toms too far could pose a problem in terms of hitting correctly. I would say most people's are probably like 20 and 45 degrees depending on the kit, their preference, etc...

Like the OP I've never been able to get any of my kits totally flat. Not sure how people pull it off. And I'm tall, so that isn't an issue.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Flat toms. I likes' em flat. Coc-a-maimy toms look....well....wrong! But I pay trad-grip, so I roll around the kit with only one angled drum. My snare. But I also play ambidextrously....left handed open slaps on the hats, and sometimes just my right hand workin' it while I point out at the crowd, or just to wave at a friend in the midst of a song.

Place your toms the way you feel comfy...THAT'S the bottom line.

In a venue, run out to the audience area and look at your kit on stage...and play with it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    place your toms the way you feel comfy...that's the bottom line.
    +1
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

What ever angel makes you feel good...then its good!...period...hang'em upside down from above you if you want.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I think a toms mounting flat really comes from the standing position while playing. You still have to angle the toms slightly while seated to effectively play. Unless your 6'7". Think about it.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

That's what was throwing me about it. I'm 6'3" and haven't been able to get them flat and comfortable. I figured I should try out the flat since people claim it's more comfortable.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weebrad View Post
    Toms are 12"x8" and 13"x9". Looks like I'm in need of some multiclamps then...I've always liked the idea of offset toms and I wanted my toms to be close to the same height as my snare. Will I get a better flow around that kit that way??? Thanks
    or you can pull out the tom mount and stick it in half of a cymbal stand. right behind the snare
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Sorry...Just trying to get to 25 posts so I can respond to pm's.. I understand the rule but 25 minimum is a little over the top.

User Info Menu

MDK, don't apoligize...add to conversation..that counts too you know...we all started where you are..we always enjoy newbie insight!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    MDK, don't apoligize...add to conversation..that counts too you know...we all started where you are..we always enjoy newbie insight!
    Cool will do..

To the OP, I angle mine but only about 15 degrees I would guess. Good thing you asked this question and realized your posture problem before you started to have some real back issues..

Good catch.

By the way this is my 25th Post wooo hooo Now I can send pm's.. problem is I can't remember to whom or what I was going to write. Getting old is tough

User Info Menu

Back to my old setup for now untill I can get hold of some clamps....