Thread: sore elbow / wrist

User Info Menu

Default sore elbow / wrist

Anyone have any trouble with sore elbows and/or wrists? I'm sure there's something I can do with changing how I play to fix this. I play in a punkish band so a lot of our stuff is pretty fast. This only happens when I play 16th notes on my hats. I'm right handed. 8th notes are fine, but some songs need 16th. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Sounds like you just need to change your action. That's usually the cause the of soreness. Or it just may be a conditioning thing. As we don't know how long you've been playing it's hard to say. Beginners get sore after a bit, especially playing fast, unitl their muscles get used to what they are doing.

It could be that your to tense when you're playing, or maybe making larger strokes than you need to. Hell, it may be the angle you sit to the drums. My advice would be to put up a video so we can see how you play, or go see a music teacher and get them to give you some pointers on how to improve your action.

Making alot of assumptions here, because there could be lots of reasons.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I've been playing for 16 years. I've been playing this style only for the last year though. We can only get together once a week so possibly the week between practices is not letting me get in condition enough. I try to keep my hits closer so there's less reach and try to minimize the amount of force I'm using. I don't have any videos and don't see myself able to make one anytime soon. Thanks for the advice so far

User Info Menu

Well dude i get sore wrists sometimes too, i went to my doctor and he did a few tests and it turns out i have a minor case of carpol tunnel( and im only 16 how sad) He just gave me anti inflamatorys and ive been fine since. That would be my best guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen
    Well dude i get sore wrists sometimes too, i went to my doctor and he did a few tests and it turns out i have a minor case of carpol tunnel( and im only 16 how sad) He just gave me anti inflamatorys and ive been fine since. That would be my best guess.
    Something like that is also a possibility - hence why I said it is hard to say what the problem is, because there are so many things. It may be that your trying to hard to minimize your movements or striking force, whihc is causng the muslces to get tense and tire out.

Another possibilty may be your grip. Perhaps it worked for previous styles, but not this style. Also, it may just be that the conditioning is taking it's time becuase of infrequent practising like you said. The easy way to fix that is to play on a pillow daily. No rebound means you'll work the muscles better, and they will be forced to continue developing the required action and repsonse to what your doing. Also, try practising with heavier/thicker sticks (depending on what you use at the moment), then going to lighter ones when you're actually playing properly.

I know they are basic things that drummers often do anways, but it may be little things like that that could help. Also, remember, i don't know what you've been doing/trying already, so forgive me if I am suggesting things you've already tried. Or maybe i'm on the wrong track and you've got arthiritis. Anyway, hope you can figure out something and it stops hurting for you eventually.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions! It might be my grip. I have been having trouble keeping the stick held properly in my right hand. It slips an in the middle of a song sometimes it's not being cradled so much. My hand turns over so that my thumb is on top. Imagine like holding a cell phone and using your thumb to dial. Kinda like that. Mainly it's my right elbow that cramps up. Possibly I should also try some kind of stretching? I try to have us warm up with slower tunes, but it doesn't always work out that way.

I really haven't tried a whole lot except to minimize the distance between me and my kit without being too cramped. Previously I played a little slower style, but this band is just kicking my butt. Err... elbow.

User Info Menu

Sounds like grip could be a factor then. Try turning your wrist inwards so your index finger is on top. It will change your action slightly to a more natural one for your muscles, as your wrist will be ging up and down like you're waving. This of course depends on your grip - if you used match or traditional

Also, I am assuming you are right handed, so that I assume is your hi-hat - which will be alot of fast 8ths and 16ths for punk music. This explains why that elbow is getting it worse. Are you moving your forearm or just your wrist when you play? This part of your action may be effecting it in particular.

Try possibly playing an open handed style, with your left on the hi-hat and right on snare if you feel soreness and tiredness setting it, or continuously change it up through your songs. If this is difficult for you, as it often can be, just do it like everything else with drums. Start slow and build it up - it is a really good skill to have to be able to play ambidextrous like that. I was forced to, being left handed, but most comfortable on a right handed kit - i eventually just starting playing that way. So many people think it is wierd or wrong - but for me it's great. If you can pull it off, it will help you. I can also play on a left handed kit, or the more traditional right handed way - but that's me, and is partly because i learnt both ways

Also, stretching out your limbs before you play fast stuff is a must. Not just warming up on your songs, but before you even sit at the kit. Straighten your arm in front of you palm up, and bend your hand back and hold it there for a few seconds then release and do on the other arm - go back and forth a few times until you feel it loosen up. Also, doing that stretch where you bend your arm up, then lift your elbow stright up, with your hand going behind your back. Hold etc... I also like to just twist my hands around a bit, just to really loosen my wrists. I really force them as much as I can with my other hand, then "shake it out" sort of thing.

Also remember what I said about conditioning your muscles, becuase I think that will be a part of it too.

User Info Menu

try playing with your right hand turned over as though you were picking something small up off a table, then use a whipping motion with the arm snapping down, your wrist will appear to be making a whiplash kinda motion,then a stroke with your wrist as you bring up your arm slightly for then next stroke...check out a technique called the whipping motion and play around with it..
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pauldrums
    try playing with your right hand turned over as though you were picking something small up off a table, then use a whipping motion with the arm snapping down, your wrist will appear to be making a whiplash kinda motion,then a stroke with your wrist as you bring up your arm slightly for then next stroke...check out a technique called the whipping motion and play around with it..
    That's the moller technique, or triple stroke roll. It gets explained really well by Tony Royster Jnr. on this video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U66XZjaRt0

I don't know if this would help him in playing a beat though, but hey, it's a good technique that anyone could try.