Thread: Best way for a beginner

User Info Menu

Default Best way for a beginner

Heya all,

I am COMPLETELY new to drumming, i.e. have never played before ( not properly anyway, that is X-D ), and I am in need of advice as to which is the best path to take, due to drumkits being expensive, space-consuming etc etc.

Could anyone please help me out with regards to the best sort of drumkits to take interest in and how to get involved playing this instrument?

Many thanks :-)

<< Haha :-P

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best way for a beginner

Alright I`ll play,it doesn`t cost a ton of money to start.You can buy a kit on the lower end scale of most manufacturers from anywhere in the range of 5-$700 .Ready to bring home, set-up and start jammin`.Alot of the kits will include 4-5 drums, high-hat ,a couple of cymbals and stands and a throne.Most likely an area 4`x 5` (approx) will give you enough room.A salesperson at a local music store should be able to steer you in the right direction.Where you go from there is pretty much up to you and your funds.You probably at least want to buy some better aftermarket heads to install(or have them do it before delivery) on your new drums because they may(or not) sound boingy when you get it home.Heads are normally in the $15 range for the smaller drums and $35 or so for a kick drum.Lots of great sites on internet for set-up and so on.Play your favorite songs on the stereo or whatever,take lessons-WHERE EAR PROTECTION.Don`t know your age but it doesn`t matter,hearing doesn`t come back once it`s gone.Good luck and if want to know more specific things check back in and someone will probably help.Cheap(er) drums can sound as good as big money drums if their tuned right.Later,Toby

User Info Menu

Hi Addydrum welcome to the DC. I would look around for a used set in your local newspaper etc. Drums stores are ok but sometimes you gotta watch those salesmen because you could come out with more than you need. Especially if you don't know anything about drums. It's like buying a car you get what you pay for.Good luck.

User Info Menu

Hi Addydrum, and welcome to Drum Chat!

I would agree with looking for a used set, although if you know nothing at all about drums I would hope you could have someone who does help you evaluate any set you are interested in. A lot depends on how much money you are willing to spend, but keep in mind that most sets will not come with hardware (cymbal stands, drummer's throne, bass drum pedal, hi-hat stand), or with cymbals - unless you are buying a beginner set which will come with very cheap hardware and very cheap cymbals. Having said that, though, if price is a major factor, then the beginner sets can get your foot in the door and get you learning.

I would also recommend getting a drum teacher. many music stores either have in store teachers, or they have a list of local teachers.

Again, welcome and sorry we missed this before!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hi Addydrum, and welcome to Drum Chat!

I would agree with looking for a used set, although if you know nothing at all about drums I would hope you could have someone who does help you evaluate any set you are interested in. A lot depends on how much money you are willing to spend, but keep in mind that most sets will not come with hardware (cymbal stands, drummer's throne, bass drum pedal, hi-hat stand), or with cymbals - unless you are buying a beginner set which will come with very cheap hardware and very cheap cymbals. Having said that, though, if price is a major factor, then the beginner sets can get your foot in the door and get you learning.

I would also recommend getting a drum teacher. many music stores either have in store teachers, or they have a list of local teachers.

Again, welcome and sorry we missed this before!
    I say this a lot, but what PB said.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board Addy and I say before spending 500 on an entry level kit to go for some lessons first.

Lessons go on the average for about 20 bucks for a half hour lesson. After a couple months you can decide if the drums are for you.

At this point you can figure how much you can afford and I say go used on an intermediate set for about the same amount of money. And if you have neighbors or live in an apartment thenn you may want to check out electronic kits.intermediate set
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I agree with the others....unfortunately, you will have SUCKER written all over your face if you walk into a music store. These sales people are like sharks when they see a novice looking to buy equipment. You have to honest with yourself and think that there is a good chance that drumming won't be right for you. If this happens, you will be out a good chunk of money and selling used gear is very very tough. This is why I would advise you to look for used gear for this reason. You can probably find an old but well kept drum set for as little as $200. There is Craigslist, newspaper ads, or ebay at your disposal. Good luck !

Btw, there is a thread going around here called, "Crappy Deals". Check it out,...you might learn something :-)
    Last edited by nio; 02-21-2011 at 11:05 AM.

User Info Menu

I am also a newer drummer, but I did months upon months of research into kits, cymals and heads (which didn't stretch too far). But if you are completely new to the world of drumming chances are you can pick up from eBay or Craigslist a kit for £70-120 with unbranded cymbals unbranded stock heads and cheap-ish hardware that will last for long enough for you to pick up basics and upgrade bit by bit.

Hope this helped although I don't know much.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Adam!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree with whats been said already. Buy a practice pad and a pair of 5a or 5b sticks and take a lesson or two. Many places may have special offers for first time students, so you could probably get a lesson or two for free to see what you think at first. If you decide that you are interested in drumming, and the work that comes along with it, then a solid used set would be great. Especially on places like craigslist, or even GC used, you could get a nice intermediate kit with cymbals for around 350 ish. Best of luck in your adventure, drums are a fun instrument to play.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar