Thread: Joey Jordison & Morgan Rose snares

User Info Menu

Default Joey Jordison & Morgan Rose snares

Just found a Pearl Joey Jordison & Pearl Morgan Rose snare on craiglist for $160.00 each. It seems like a good deal but I am not too familiar with how these snares sound. Anyone with any experiance with either of these two snares?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Joey Jordison & Morgan Rose snares

Joeys snare is basically the god of all snares. Great for jazz, rock, metal, funk, you name it, it's perfect. It's wonderful when it's tuned all the way up-it has a great pop and crack to it, without sacrificing depth or musical tonality. Like I said, the god of all snares.

Not too familiar with the morgan rose snare, however.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

The Morgan Rose one is pretty good. If this is the one you're talking about...

Then I tried it out at Guitar Center last time I was there and it sounded decent on the stock settings. It goes for about $340 new, so $160 is definitely a good deal on it. I prefer the Joey snare though. That thing sounds absolutely amazing. Either one for $160 is great though.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Guitar Center was clearancing out the rest of these snares for 150 each. They have both been discontinued by Pearl, so the price should be falling according in the used market soon.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    Guitar Center was clearancing out the rest of these snares for 150 each. They have both been discontinued by Pearl, so the price should be falling according in the used market soon.
    Yes thank you god
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    May hafta get me one...of each
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help guys. I checked both snares out on youtube but sometimes it's tuff to tell due to sound quality. It sounds like these snares will be dropping in price soon and I may want to just hold on till they do. Thanks again!!

User Info Menu

The Morgan Rose snare looks cool as H#LL!

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUgeoNQ-7Yo&feature=related"]YouTube - Pearl Joey Jordison Snare[/ame]

Pretty good video and sound of Joey's snare. I like it a lot!

User Info Menu

I just checked out the new 2011 Pearl catalogue and Joey's price is 500.00 so to me 160.00 is a great deal. Morgan Rose is not available I guess if it is not in there catalogue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I just checked out the new 2011 Pearl catalogue and Joey's price is 500.00 so to me 160.00 is a great deal. Morgan Rose is not available I guess if it is not in there catalogue.
    500 bucks?? That's ridiculous. Last I saw, it was around $240 or so. That must be Pearl's price, not a regular retailer.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Question Re: Joey Jordison & Morgan Rose snares

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    500 bucks?? That's ridiculous. Last I saw, it was around $240 or so. That must be Pearl's price, not a regular retailer.
    Like I said this is the price in the Pearl 2011 price list. I have no idea what the retail price is.

User Info Menu

I have the JJ snare, and it's one of the best snares I've ever owned. My bassist loves it. Picked it up on eBay for $100. The one I have is black, and I'd love to find a red one, too.

I've never played the MR, but I've heard it's one loud puppy. Almost picked it up earlier this year at GC for $150, but I got the Jimmy DeGrasso instead. Also $150. Gorgeous snare w/a good sound.
    OCDP Avalon - Red Sparkle
    10-12-14-16-22
    Crush Chameleon Birch - White-on-white
    10-12-14-16-22
    Pearl Session Elite - red lacquer
    10-12-13-14-16-22
    Pearl Export EXR - Orange Swirl
    12-14-16-24

Pearl Joey Jordison Sig Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 1963 Acrolite Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 Standard Snare
    OCDP 14x7 Microvent Snare
    OCDP 14x6 Avalon Snare
    Crush 14x6 Chameleon Snare
    Mapex 13x3 Piccolo Snare

Sabian Cymbals
    14" AAXplosion Hats
    14" HHX Evolution Hats
    14" AA Med Hats
    22" AAX Metal Ride
    20" AA Medium Ride
    20" Pro Ride
    17" AAXplosion Crash
    18" AAXplosion Crash
    19" AAXplosion Crash (2)
    20" AAXplosion Crash
    19" Vault Crash (2)
    19" AAXtreme China
    10" HHX Splash

Wuhan Cymbals
    12", 16" & 18" Chinas
    15", 17", 18" Crashes
    8" & 12" splashes

User Info Menu

After investigating the sound of these two snares I 've actually decided to focus on a deeper maple snare. I really like the Mapex Black Panther Phat Bob and a 14 X 6.5 Ludwig maple snare I found at a local drum shop. Both snares run about $450.00. Right now I have about $300.00 so I plan on hitting every 6.5 to 7 maple snare I can find until I get the next $150.00. Buying anyhting for me is painful cause with the cost of upper end snares or cymbals you really want to investigate and be sure you are in love with what you are spending a small fortune on. This may take me a few more months but I will let you know what I finally decided on.

User Info Menu

I have been thinking along these same lines.These are what I would have picked too.Nothing says it like wood.I like the sound of the Ludwig Black Magic for a metal snare though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.