Thread: it's not me, its you.

User Info Menu

Default it's not me, its you.

so have i changed? for the las 19 years, i have loved watching people play drums, started playing 17 years ago,after my last band failure i took 3 years off, been back a year. in that year i have tried to learn more actual techniques, instead of just playing. so last night i went to the bar and saw 2 bands play, both of the drummers i have known for several years. both of which i respected and admired the things they played. so with that said, i watched in amazement as they played their respective set lists with ill tuned ,lifeless sounding drums, beat down drumsets with broken-missing hardware and extremely repetitive simplistic beats. ive been pondering what has changed? me being out of the scene for a few years, or them staying in it ? hhmmm
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Default Re: it's not me, its you.

I would defo say them staying in it. It's like in a big company, they always get people from outside to tell them what they're doing wrong because when you're in the daily grind/stuck in a rut/treading water it's hard to change or improve.

I'm fortunate that I have a cool guy to bounce ideas off, practice with and generally talk drums who keeps me striving for better grooves, sounds and technique.

Plus all you guys here on DC!
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

It sounds to me like they have gotten lax over the years. That is easy to do if you are playing and then it "becomes a job" instead of a "love affair". Whenever things are going good it is easy to become lax. When you have been out of it for a while you are striving to be better, and in order to do that you have to be more critical, it is part of the process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brokenstix View Post
    It sounds to me like they have gotten lax over the years. That is easy to do if you are playing and then it "becomes a job" instead of a "love affair". Whenever things are going good it is easy to become lax. When you have been out of it for a while you are striving to be better, and in order to do that you have to be more critical, it is part of the process.
    I agree, you have made some advancement in your art, while these guys are left in the DUST. Keep up the good work !

User Info Menu

Chafey, congratulations on stretching yourself, and on seeing your own progress as you observe the playing of others.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Set your goals and strive for it !!!