33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Direct Drive

14 42.42%
  • Chain Driven

19 57.58%

Thread: Direct vs. chain pedal

User Info Menu

Default Direct vs. chain pedal

After posting in chrisbbk's double pedal recommendation thread, I started wondering about direct drive versus a chain on a pedal. I've only used chain driven pedals (Pearl P900, Tama Iron Cobra/ICJ), but there's definitely a trend with the direct drive ones (Axis Longboards, Pearl Demon Drives). I was wondering what the comparisons are between the different mechanisms and how they affect the feel of the pedal.

More on Direct Drive bass drum pedals
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Direct vs. chain pedal

I voted for chain for the same reason as you; i have no experience with direct drive but will be monitoring this thread to find out more.
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

In my humble opinion, I prefer chain/belt bass drum pedals over the direct drive pedals due to the design of the most direct link pedals. I had the pleasure of trying out two types of direct drive pedals before settling on the Pearl Eliminator P2000B (B = Belt)

Pearl Demon Drive:

In my opinion, the direct drive linkage feels linear and the pedal strokes feel like simple up and down movements which reminds me of my grandmothers old foot-powered sewing machine.

The Demon Drive is so smooth and since it offers very little resistance, I loose the ebb and flow feeling that I get from a chain/belt pedal and that ebb and flow translates into dynamics for my bass drum pedal strokes.

Axis LongBoard A:

The Axis Longboard A also uses a direct link. The Variable Drive Lever changes the ratio of the footboard movement to the arc of the beater. As for my personal taste, the Axis Longboard A felt too light and I missed the weight behind the beater.

Last edited by late8; 02-22-2011 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

The Pearl Eliminator uses a circular cam that holds chain/belt in place:

In my opinion, the curved cam allows the chain/belt to feel as if the pedal stroke is progressive as if the beater is traveling "forward" towards the bass drum batter head. For me, this creates more feel and offers more resistance compared to the direct drive pedals.

The Pearl Eliminators uses interchangeable cams to provide different fulcrum angles, thus creating a totally different sense of feel in the pedal and provides more flexibility for the end user.

Last edited by late8; 02-18-2011 at 06:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Late8, I had the same impression of the Axis Longboards.
    They just felt too light, like I had lost half the power in the pedal stroke.
    Considered putting heavier beaters on them, but in the end decided they just weren't for me. Shame, as they are really well made.
    I thought I was the only one who didn't love them.
    "The older I get the better I was " - atomcorr2

Tama
    Paiste

User Info Menu

Direct drive feels a lot more fluid and lighter to me.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I picked chain because I have the most experience with them also I like a little restriction when I play my spring tension is pretty high so ive just gotten use to the feel of it direct drive is a bit to smooth for me I like the feel better from a chain I do perfer double chain than Single chain also
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Chain drive for me...I've tried/owned direct drive pedals (Axis, Yamaha, Tama [king beat]) they were all good pedals..just not my cup of tea (so to speak)...especally the Axis...way too light on feel!...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbkk View Post
    i voted for chain for the same reason as you; i have no experience with direct drive but will be monitoring this thread to find out more.
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I have to say chain, because the first day I sat down at a drumset, their were certain things by certain drummers I wanted to learn how to do (isn't that how it is for everybody?). My cheap gibralter prowler chain driven pedals allowed me to do that, so I have to give it up to them.

However, never kicked a direct drive. I'm sure they are wicked.
    |---Black Hole Conspiracy---|

Gretsch 4-Piece Catalina Club Mod G-Tube Finish
    -14" Snare - Remo Coated Emperor
    -12" Tom - Remo Clear Pinstripe
    -16" Tom - Remo Clear Emperor
    -22" Bass - Remo Clear Powersonic Bass
    -Gibralter Prowler 5611 Dub Kick

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

I have a chain driven bass pedal, and my hat pedal is direct drive. This seems to be a perfect configuration for me.

User Info Menu

How do strap pedals factor in? I'm curious how something like the Iron Cobra Flexi-glide feels compared to a chain or direct link.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

Larrysperf Guest

I use Pearl Eliminater belt drive blue cam and love it. I have a ludwig speed king also that is direct drive anndlike it also. I have tried most pedals and just for myself like the pearl the best. But you have to try them out as not all pedals are the same. Like fine tuning you have to decide whats right for you. All parts of our instrument

User Info Menu

My Pearl Powershifter Eliminators were originally Belt drives. I snapped the belt however and replaced them with chains. That changed them a lot.

User Info Menu

For any of you looking for direct drive pedal but couldn't afford the price or couldn't afford replacing the one they own, Stomp Drive retrofit is the answer.

They are available right now for TAMA IC - Pearl Eliminator, Mapex Falcon and eventually for DW 5000. They also plan expand the line as enough request comes in.

Last edited by mind_drummer; 03-25-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    For any of you looking for direct drive pedal but couldn't afford the price or couldn't afford replacing the one they own, Stomp Drive retrofit is the answer.

They are available right now for TAMA IC - Pearl Eliminator, Mapex Falcon and eventually for DW 5000. They also plan expand the line as enough request comes in.

OMG ....

i want!!!

User Info Menu

I have the Pearl Powershift Eliminator P2000C that came with the chain and strap in the case and a silver/gray cam. I use mostly the chain but read somewhere that if you use the strap it gives you the feel of the direct drive. I have not tried the strap yet but maybe I will just to see what the difference is between the two.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-25-2011 at 09:03 AM.

User Info Menu

By the look of the cam, I'd imagine it being very snappy.

Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Strap will NOT be the same as direct drive. It just won't. The appeal of direct drive is that the movement of the pedal and of the beater are 100% related. As one moves, so does the other, period. With a strap, just like a chain, that isn't necessarily the case. For some, that's fine, and possibly even desirable.

My MAIN reason for getting Trick pedals was the longboard, with the secondary reason being ease of adjustability. The DD system was just a bonus.

User Info Menu

I have no problems with my chain drive at all, but Ive played a few direct drive pedals at GC, and I like how they feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I have the Pearl Powershift Eliminator P2000C that came with the chain and strap in the case and a silver/gray cam. I use mostly the chain but read somewhere that if you use the strap it gives you the feel of the direct drive. I have not tried the strap yet but maybe I will just to see what the difference is between the two.
    Pearl MCX Man, I highly recommend trying the belt for the Pearl Eliminators.
    They cost about $11.00 USD each and come with an allen (hex) tool for the bottom hex screw:

The belt has two hidden steel reinforcing wires that run along the entire length of it to
    provide strength as outlined in red in pic below:

The allen (hex) tool for the backside:

The belt uses a standard drum key for the cam attachment. IMHO, the belt made the pedal feel lighter and much faster for doubles and triplets.

User Info Menu

I have the Axis X, not the longboard.

I previously had used a double Yamaha dual-chain pedal, I think it was DFP880 or something off the top of my head.

They definately felt different, with the Axis X feeling underpowered at first (not really a better way to describe it). I replaced the stock delrin Axis beater with an extra I had from my previous Yamaha pedal. That seemed to make things a lot better for me. It took a week or so for me to get used to, and now after a few years, I am happy with my purchase. I'm really smitten with the simple design of mine.

A more valid comparison would be to look at my old pedal and the Flying Dragon, or whatever Yamaha's calling their direct drive pedal now (as an aside, does anybody else find these marketing names totally silly? Iron Cobra? Demon Drive? Flying Dragon?).

Bottom line, all three drive systems work (strap, chain, and direct). Each one does feel a little different, but it's nothing that you can't adapt to. Switching from chain or strap to direct drive is not going to suddenly make you master double bass overnight, nor will it make you completely unable to play "We Will Rock You". It's just one thing to consider when looking at pedals, but don't lose sight of the construction quality. Give close scrutiny to how each moving part interacts.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian