Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crappy Deals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crappy Deals

What I have been seeing lately goes something like this:

Black drum set $400.

That's it. No picture, no description. You wouldn't list a car that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    What I have been seeing lately goes something like this:

Black drum set $400.

That's it. No picture, no description. You wouldn't list a car that way.
    I know. I see so much stuff on CL with no information. That's no way to sell a product. Even their email replies don't contain much more info.

User Info Menu

My guess is usually it's not much of a drum set and they are overpricing it, so they don't want to give away too much info.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Oh man oh man, epic thread. I remember one time I was browsin through and saw the worst described kit imaginable. The title said "MAPLE" and the description said "STICKS NO HAVE". I just about fell outta my chair laughing so hard! No price, or contact information even. I've browsed through before on a lot of occasions, but never seen an ad quite this epic. If you saw that would you, no could you, know what it was for? I couldn't, my only hint was the section it was in. There should be a 'best of craigslist' site devoted to the fails of the members. The people of craigslist will always hold a special place in my heart.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yeah they remind me of some of the shoppers at Wallmart strange people.LOL they probably are the ones putting these adds on CL.

User Info Menu

I think a lot of people buy drum set's for their kids and then the kid loses interest and the Parents put it on CL and have no clue what to say or what they have.
    Especially when I see they have "Symbols". sometimes they don't realize they have something nice, other times they over price it..

User Info Menu

I saw a classic this weekend.

Headline: "Drumset for sail"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I saw a classic this weekend.

Headline: "Drumset for sail"
    That was probably the house kit on a cruise ship.

User Info Menu

That was probably the house kit on a cruise ship.
    HAHA! I might have been more interested if they had said that.

User Info Menu

Generally, how many different ways are there to spell symb... er, I mean cymbals..??
    As a newbie shopping around used stuff, I started counting.... and gave up!
    - poodlesdrum
    Could someone get this George Orwell fellow on the phone, please...!

User Info Menu

Yeah they remind me of some of the shoppers at Wallmart strange people.LOL they probably are the ones putting these adds on CL.
    Ahh the people of walmart, I just love them. But you know, the shoppers there aren't nearly as bad as the employees. So this one day I was going there to get some bathroom stuff, and I finally get up to the register. This lady was ridiculous- she must've took 10 minutes out of my day before I could check out and leave with my things. First she asked hello, what's your name? Which really wasn't so bad but she proceeded to bombard me with less than necessary questions which kind of irked me. "Is this your first time at walmart? Did you find everything you need? What would you like? Have you ever been here before? Would you like to hear about our specials? Would you like to apply for a walmart card?"

The crazy thing was like after she got done interrogating me like we were at a prison camp, she answered some of her own questions regardless of me saying no thanks, and you've been helpful. This totally mental cashier broke down and was trying to tell me the history of walmart, all the changes over the years, the specials, the coupons, where I could find things in the future, where the manager's office is, why there was a salon and a glasses store behind her, all about the pharmacy. I finally just said "i'm sorry to interrupt you, but I really gotta go" and left. Funny thing is she was still going on about it louder as I got further away. I really do not like Walmart at all, and I don't want to go back there anytime soon. Now I have more reasons to boycott them.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
    Ever seen this, Symbols for sale or Base drum for sale?
    Yes I see "symbols" for sale all the time. It drives me nuts.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

I also love it when they put "10" piece drumset for sale and it is really a 5 piece with a few stands and hardware.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pelicandrum View Post
    I also love it when they put "10" piece drumset for sale and it is really a 5 piece with a few stands and hardware.
    I have to say that gets me every time I see it. Or, when they try to sell a double kick pedal, but with a beater in the slave pedal and one on the main - no clue.

Or the cats that try to sell cymbals for just a few bucks less than GC would, explaining that the price of them was 600 dollars new..for one.

Or the even better, someone stuck with zbt's or planet z saying that they sound amazing...well, I guess they could to some people.

User Info Menu

I recently saw some Zilidian cymbals for sale, which was a brand I've never heard of before.

User Info Menu

I recently saw some Zilidian cymbals for sale, which was a brand I've never heard of before.
    That made me laugh.

User Info Menu

Just saw ad on local CL for a Mapex M Birch 5pc set for $500. By itself its not a bad deal. Guy says he bought the set in June of 2010. Pics he posted have date stamp on them of June 2008. Mapex introduced that kit in 2005. Now, he could have just had the wrong date set in his camera, but, it just raises red flags for me.

User Info Menu

one thing that always gets my attention is ads like this.

"7Piece drumset $400"

then here is the picture.

i see 5 pieces....
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Don't you know that the HH and cymbal are pieces? Oh, and another dumb arse placing a kit on concrete.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Just saw ad on local CL for a Mapex M Birch 5pc set for $500. By itself its not a bad deal. Guy says he bought the set in June of 2010. Pics he posted have date stamp on them of June 2008. Mapex introduced that kit in 2005. Now, he could have just had the wrong date set in his camera, but, it just raises red flags for me.
    True, but it was still available after 2008. Through leftover backstock or ebay he could have obtained someone else's that he bought in 2010, but the kit being from a much earlier year.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    True, but it was still available after 2008. Through leftover backstock or ebay he could have obtained someone else's that he bought in 2010, but the kit being from a much earlier year.
    True. Can't remeber if he said he bought it new. It's just that when you see inconsistancies in ads it makes you a little skeptical. Could be honest mistakes, but, then again maybe not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    True. Can't remeber if he said he bought it new. It's just that when you see inconsistancies in ads it makes you a little skeptical. Could be honest mistakes, but, then again maybe not.
    Yeah. And you know with the way that you see half of the ads on craigslist, it is really probable that they are stretching the truth a little bit. Apparently the drumtech from Rainbow is selling a Pearl "birch" kit near me, what a deal. Claims to know Clay, i'm thinking he just googled the Pearl roster list to grab info for boosting buyer interest.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Ahh the people of walmart, I just love them. But you know, the shoppers there aren't nearly as bad as the employees. So this one day I was going there to get some bathroom stuff, and I finally get up to the register. This lady was ridiculous- she must've took 10 minutes out of my day before I could check out and leave with my things. First she asked hello, what's your name? Which really wasn't so bad but she proceeded to bombard me with less than necessary questions which kind of irked me. "Is this your first time at walmart? Did you find everything you need? What would you like? Have you ever been here before? Would you like to hear about our specials? Would you like to apply for a walmart card?"

The crazy thing was like after she got done interrogating me like we were at a prison camp, she answered some of her own questions regardless of me saying no thanks, and you've been helpful. This totally mental cashier broke down and was trying to tell me the history of walmart, all the changes over the years, the specials, the coupons, where I could find things in the future, where the manager's office is, why there was a salon and a glasses store behind her, all about the pharmacy. I finally just said "i'm sorry to interrupt you, but I really gotta go" and left. Funny thing is she was still going on about it louder as I got further away. I really do not like Walmart at all, and I don't want to go back there anytime soon. Now I have more reasons to boycott them.
    Sounds to me like she had the hots for you
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash