Thread: Sticking Vent..........

User Info Menu

Angry Sticking Vent..........

Again, I’m getting frustrated, so I’m going to vent to all of you which always makes me feel better…… My sticking is driving me crazy, my right hand has so much potential but my left hand is screwing it over! I bought myself a good old standard practice pad and new Vic Firth magnum sticks so I can really practice. I’m staying away from my electric Roland pad with my new bass and cymbal for now because I found myself wanting to play around instead of practice. I know it’s ok to mess around with my little set-up but I realized that I was practicing much less then I was before. So now, I strictly practice with my non-electronic practice pad. I know some of you will say “but you still want to have fun!” Well yes, of course I do, but I like sticking, really but more importantly I want to learn how to play drums, I don’t want to just bang a few basic beats and say “hey, look at me I can play drums!” I want to learn how to really play, all styles and feels, reading music also. Although I want to have fun I am also very serious about learning how to play the drums, I know it may take me 4-5 years but I’m in for the long haul…. So anyway, getting back to my “venting”, so I’m practicing anywhere from an hour to two hours with a metronome and I’m basically practicing singles and doubles and then I’m doing combinations (paradiddles, RRRRLLLL, LLLLRLRL, RRRRLRLR, etc.), some times I even do R’s 10 times and then L’s 20 times. I was told to work at a certain speed and when I can do singles, doubles, paradiddles, etc. at that speed consistently for at least 5 minutes then I should move it up a bit (80 to 83 or 85). Like I said before my right hand is very strong; my left is very weak and is all over the place so I decided to look around the internet last night and found this guy that says, “Start utilizing your left hand for everything (except writing) and your left hand will start building muscles you’ve never used before.” I’ve started doing that because I believe anything will help. What do you think?.……. Anyway, thanks for listening.

User Info Menu

Good for you! Iv been neglecting my left too. Soon ill have the whole summer holiday to practice.

User Info Menu

Hey, if it was easy women and children would be doing it...no...that doesn't work

Hey, always look a man in the eye when you shake his hand...no...that's no good

Hey, we're not laughing with you, were laugh...no that sucks too.

Idunknow? Maybe you just need to be patient with yourself.

User Info Menu

Just be patient and work your rudiments slower and long with your left and faster and less with your right, your left will catch up i know mine finally is . Ive also heard that technique of utilizing your left with everyday stuff like brushing your teeth to eating and drinking, my drum teacher said he did it for a straight week when he was at Musicians Institute and he said it was amazing how it changed his left hand. Good luck DC. and dont sweat it, it will come to you

User Info Menu

I like the idea of building up your left hand as Sanzen mentioned and so did DC. Like idk I've tried doing that just brushing your teeth with your left hand just eating with your left hand, it gets a bit tricky and trying after a while. Obviously though you are very committed to becoming an established drummer and I think that if you start using your left hand for more than you have before you should start to see some real results.

Good Luck!!
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I don't have the book with me but there is a relatively inexpensive book the Author's name is George Lawrence Stone, it's called "Stick Control for the Snare Drummer" that has some great exercises that will help you build up stamina and coordination between the two hands. I've been working on it with a practice pad at work on my lunch break. I can really see improvement in my sticking on both hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer
    I don't have the book with me but there is a relatively inexpensive book the Author's name is George Lawrence Stone, it's called "Stick Control for the Snare Drummer" that has some great exercises that will help you build up stamina and coordination between the two hands. I've been working on it with a practice pad at work on my lunch break. I can really see improvement in my sticking on both hands.
    Ok, I'm getting that book! It's been mentioned to me five times in the last two weeks now so I think I should take heed and get it LOL I was also thinking about using my lunch break to work on my sticking......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture
    I like the idea of building up your left hand as Sanzen mentioned and so did DC. Like idk I've tried doing that just brushing your teeth with your left hand just eating with your left hand, it gets a bit tricky and trying after a while. Obviously though you are very committed to becoming an established drummer and I think that if you start using your left hand for more than you have before you should start to see some real results.

Good Luck!!
    I've been using my left hand all day, it's very difficult and my left hand is kind of sore........

User Info Menu

Well thats good, if it's sore you know its working.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

just on this left hand thing. when i started playing, for some reason my left foot had great control and strength. not as strong as my right being right handed but never the less, good control with the left foot. i could not understand why and at times it actually felt more relaxed and controlled than my right foot. well i finally put it down to that i was driving a manual car for ten years prior to that and using the clutch daily and on a very regular basis must of developed the control and strength in the left foot.

interesting fact, I wish I could say the same about changing gears, unfortunately that didnt have the same affect on my left hand ( Australian set up ) as what the clutch did on my left foot.