Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rim shots

User Info Menu

Default Rim shots

Are they only for snares? Or is it acceptable to play rims on toms? Because I've been under the impression that rimshots were reserved for snares and that it would mess with the tuning on toms.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rim shots

You can play them anywhere you want. It's a nice effect on the toms.

User Info Menu

Whatever sounds good man, that's what I say, serve the music!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Never heard it done before but if it sounds good start a fad!!! I love drums...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Never heard it done before but if it sounds good start a fad!!! I love drums...
    Really? Because I seem to hear it a lot. Unless I'm using the terminology wrong. I'm talking about hitting the hoop of the drum at the same time as the head for more "OOMPH."
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

I have a first act tom that I use just for rimshots. It's mounted on my floor tom's rim lol
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    Are they only for snares? Or is it acceptable to play rims on toms? Because I've been under the impression that rimshots were reserved for snares and that it would mess with the tuning on toms.
    You can play rim shots on any drum...including the bassdrum if you can find a way to do it :-) Anyway, its one of the nice things about acoustic drums....there are so many sounds at your disposal.

User Info Menu

Yup. They sound wicked on my marching tenors. Ive never tried on my set, but if it gets the sound you want then go for it!
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Lots of great advice suggested. I want to mention something that's worth noting. If you decide to utilize rim shots on the toms be careful not to hit the bearing edges. The angle at which some rack toms are mounted can expose the bearing edges to an errand stroke and may cause some significant damage to the drum.

I've invested in S-Hoops (Safety Hoops) since my 6 year old son has expressed a slight interest at learning to play drums and at his age, there is very little stick control and I wanted to protect the most vital and the most vulnerable area of any drum, which in my opinion is the bearing edge.

The only drawback with outfitting all my toms with S-Hoops is the unavailability of a 6 lug 14" S-Hoop and the fact that rim mounted mic clips won't work. The pic below is a side by side comparison of the difference between a triple flanged hoop verses the S-Hoop.

Notice how much wider the lip is compared to the triple flanged hoop and due to this difference in design, the rim shot is noticeably LOUDER with a solid CRACK and you're guaranteed not to muff it, plus the edge is protected if the drumstick angle is too acute.

You can see the difference in the pic below. The 12" rack tom has a S-Hoop and the 14" 6 lug tom has a triple flanged hoop. Notice how much more of the bearing edge is protected by the S-Hoop on the 12" tom. With the exception of the 11"x14" tom, all toms including the 6.5"x14" Mapex Birds Eye maple snare drum sports an S-Hoop.

Prices vary from size to size and typically range from $15.00-$18.00 USD each.
    Last edited by late8; 02-18-2011 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys. I was wondering since I see (and hear) a lot of drummers on YouTube hit their toms with rimshots. It got me rather paranoid about my previous setup issues. I was thinking "Oh crap, are you supposed to play them like that?" Glad to hear that it's not recommended. Makes me feel better about the choices I've made.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Lots of great advice suggested. I want to mention something that's worth noting. If you decide to utilize rim shots on the toms be careful not to hit the bearing edges. The angle at which some rack toms are mounted can expose the bearing edges to an errand stroke and may cause some significant damage to the drum.
    I'd say it's more likely to hit the bearing edge with a regular stroke. With a rimshot you're really striving to catch the rim in addition to the head, and if you don't succeed you'll just hit the rim. The S-Hoop does seem like a good product, if you're uncertain about your sticking accuracy.

I can personally recommend tom tom rimshots to everyone and anyone. It's a great aggressive sound to use in certain situations.

User Info Menu

Oh....rim shots on Toms...thats what I will call them now! I always thought it was a miss hit! but I like " rim shot" instead!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Never tried it on the toms yet but it is something to experiment with. I would probably have to angle the drums abit to accomplish that rim shot.

User Info Menu

I like to do rimshots on small-sized toms (8" and 10") because it kinda sound like a timbale.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Yeah Yohin, Manu Katché who plays with Peter Gabriel amongst many artists is known to do that, it's part of his sound. He said in an interview that he got into it because when he was younger he used to play timbales before he got onto the drumkit.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

If it sounds cool, and doesn't damage the drum, play it! :D
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

mate i will hit anything that makes a sound; when I'm really funking out i will even hit naked cymbal booms!
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Dude rimshots on toms sound awesome. Go for it.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbkk View Post
    mate i will hit anything that makes a sound; when I'm really funking out i will even hit naked cymbal booms!
    That. Is. AWESOME.

User Info Menu

My hyperdrive toms sound massive with a rim shot
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I'd say it's more likely to hit the bearing edge with a regular stroke. With a rimshot you're really striving to catch the rim in addition to the head
    Yes, I do agree but I've broken sticks doing rim shots (over snare rim and tom rim) and when the stick breaks in half it's usually at the point of impact (rim) and the splintered end flails out of control. In this slow motion video, you can see the rim shots to the snare and how loose the batter becomes from the impact of the drumstick and how little protection a tightly tune batter head provides over the bearing edge.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSWLX23xqc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSWLX23xqc[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

I've invested in S-Hoops (Safety Hoops) since my 6 year old son has expressed a slight interest at learning to play drums and at his age, there is very little stick control and I wanted to protect the most vital and the most vulnerable area of any drum, which in my opinion is the bearing edge.

The only drawback with outfitting all my toms with S-Hoops is the unavailability of a 6 lug 14" S-Hoop and the fact that rim mounted mic clips won't work. The pic below is a side by side comparison of the difference between a triple flanged hoop verses the S-Hoop.

Notice how much wider the lip is compared to the triple flanged hoop and due to this difference in design, the rim shot is noticeably LOUDER with a solid CRACK and you're guaranteed not to muff it, plus the edge is protected if the drumstick angle is too acute.

You can see the difference in the pic below. The 12" rack tom has a S-Hoop and the 14" 6 lug tom has a triple flanged hoop. Notice how much more of the bearing edge is protected by the S-Hoop on the 12" tom. With the exception of the 11"x14" tom, all toms including the 6.5"x14" Mapex Birds Eye maple snare drum sports an S-Hoop.

Prices vary from size to size and typically range from $15.00-$18.00 USD each.
    Hey late8,

I just purchased three of these S Hoops based on your recommendation. My little brother has expressed interest in playing as well, although these look like a good idea to protect the bearing edges anyway. I just sold my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit and these will be going on the new set. I'll be sure to have plenty of pictures when the new kit and all the parts are together in 4-6 weeks.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I like to do rimshots on small-sized toms (8" and 10") because it kinda sound like a timbale.
    Yea rimshots on smaller toms is awesome.

User Info Menu

Rimshots on big toms are awesome. Sing Sing Sing with a swing.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Rim shot the tom to my left side a lot.. makes for a unique sound..