Thread: Vintage 1978 LP conga set

User Info Menu

Question Vintage 1978 LP conga set

Hey conga players out there,

Can anyone give me advice on what these congas are worth? :o

I heard that these drums are a piece of history and simply cannot be found new on the market today. I even found an old 1977 B&W photo of Carlos “Patata” Valdez playing the same model drums with José Mangual, Sr. in Martin Cohen’s Rosebud Recording Studio on 48th Street in NYC for the recording of Mangual's album “Buyú”. http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/...tataValdez.jpg

They are a set of three vintage 1978 white LP fiberglass congas hand-crafted in Palisades Parks, New Jersey, USA (11" Quinto, 11"3/4 Conga and 12"1/2 Tumbadora each are 28.5 inches tall). I bought them new in 1978 and these drums are clean and all the original hardware is pristine and free of corrosion. Each drum comes with the original emblem marked by Martin Cohen, the founder of Latin Percussion. Each piece of hardware is stamped with the LP insignia and has been recently cleaned and oiled. The set has three new synthetic Evans heads which offer incredible durability, weather resistant and tuning stability. The only slight imperfections are some very small scuff marks around the lug area due to the vintage style tuning system of bolts and washers. As you can see on the photos the wear and tear is minimal. These drums are in spectacular condition considering their age.

Video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-mdDwj0GBU"]YouTube - Vintage 1978 LP Congas[/ame]
    Photos: http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa330/starbrite2/

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! ;D

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage 1978 LP conga set

Welcome to the board and very nice drums you have there! The Palisades Park drums are some of the more sought after LP drums by collectors, as these drums were made here in the US as opposed to overseas like they are today. Your set appears to be in very nice condition. I'd estimate anywhere between $600-$1000 for the set, depending on the market and your location. I say location, because if you're in New York or on the west coast there is usually a bigger market for congas and you're likely to get a higher price in those locations. Ebay will always get you the biggest market, but shipping congas can be expensive and a lot of work to pack and ship.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Thank you Gretch! You're very kind to have taken time to share your opinion.

User Info Menu

I'll give you ONE HUNDRED dollars for em!!......just kidding..dude those look like brand new...you are keeping those aren't you?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Those are absolutely beautiful !!! How did you acquire those? I would take no less than $2000.00 for them in that condition. That is if I owned them and they were for sale. But if I owned them they would never be for sale and priceless to me.

User Info Menu

Hey Vibes and Marty! I bought these drums new 33 years ago and took care of them like crazy. I am very attached to them so I hesitate to sell them but then again I am getting old and rarely play them anymore due to arthritis so I may break down one day and see if there is anyone else out there who would take good care of them and enjoy playing them as much as I did. We'll see......

User Info Menu

Nice set but the conga market is down and everything is selling cheaper than the previous years. I have found some insane good deals because of this. This has kept alot of stuff off the market recently because of the soft market.

I bought a 40" Calf Bass Drum head for $10 last week. Insane.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jerry. I'm just trying to get an idea of what they may be worth. Your comment is very sobering. I may just polish them up some more and keep them.