Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political, Religious or other "Hot Button" Posts

User Info Menu

Default Political, Religious or other "Hot Button" Posts

Guys, please remember not to post anything religious in nature. The forum rules read as follows:

Political, Religious or other "Hot Button" Posts:
    While in the past we have allowed some discussion on these matters, DrumChat.com has decided to ask its members to refrain from posting these hot button issues that can often produce negative sentiment amongst members. So, please do not post anything of a political or religious or otherwise controversial nature in the forum. We appreciate and value everyone's diverse background but wish to help maintain the sense of community that has been built by avoiding these topics. There are other online forums dedicated to these subjects and we encourage you to visit them to discuss those issues. Moderators will close and/or delete any thread or post that they deem violates this rule.

==========

I closed the existing thread on Satanic drums. While I don't think it got out of hand, I think the OP question was addressed and so I feel no desire to leave it open.

Someone then posted another thread about rock music and Satan. I deleted it. We just don't want to start going there. In the past, it has proven to be controversial and it can get out of hand in a split second.

Thanks for your understanding.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Political, Religious or other "Hot Button" Posts

Lol, Drummer I was just about to post something about that when you closed the post. A pity, because I was going to make it as unbiased and non-judgemental, in fact it touched on a brief history of tritones, early origins of jazz music coming from West African melodies which then gave birth to the blues scales that run through what we take as granted in music nowadays and so forth. This is stuff I've learned through formal music study that I wanted to share, that the controversy of the more exotic tritones (which much later gave birth to the flat 5th's in blues and jazz) was not looked upon too gladly by medieval church authorities, who for want of a better phrase called it 'diabolus in musica'. However, I do respect the fact that you people run an impartial forum, and it's never in my nature to judge others beliefs, non-beliefs, philosphies and political views. All I wanted to do was to share some music theory and history in a calm, clear and impartial way. But I'll leave it to that, you are right, it is unfortunate that there may be people who will take it the wrong way.

Thank you for listening. And please, do not think I'm trying to be controversial or anything, I'm far more into educating and sharing. That's just my nature, which is why I love teaching.

Drumbledore.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Yeah it's kind of a touchy subject. Never know who you can offend, all age groups sign in and post here so I can understand the need to keep things from exploding. For certain reasons I can't say the names of figures and things appearing in literature of a religious nature. Also, it's the same reason I can't get tattoos, drink, or use profanity. I believe that there is an undetermined consequence, and that for every action I take- one way or another fate will issue me an opposite reaction. So I try to live on the straight and narrow.

I hope I didn't make it any worse by commenting in those threads, but I was trying to convey suggestions so the person didn't lose a potential bandmate. I didn't have religious concerns in mind when saying anything about the situation. Please know that I don't support/condone hot button or controversial threads- I usually ignore the dramatic/chaotic part of things and come at it from a peaceful diplomatic angle if possible, while maintaining objectivity whenever it is possible.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-19-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I respect your judgement and offer my apologies if I offended anyone, as I noticed my post was removed.

There are a vast array of philosophical and theological ideologies present amongst those who post here, and we came here originally to talk about our shared hobby/profession anyway.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

It's all good. Remember; I don't like closing any thread nor do I like to get in the way of healthy conversation but the problem is, many try to either "push" religion down other's throats and others simply hate anything remotely connected to God or religion... so we just about always end up with it being hypersensitive, like a ticking time bomb ready to go off.
    Because it's hard to stop once it starts getting out of hand, we've found that being proactive is the better approach. I hope you guys can understand the sensitivity regarding this. Trying to find a happy middle ground is never easy nor is it easy to please everyone in here. Someone will always feel slighted.

User Info Menu

It wasn't really too much of a pre-emptive "strike" though. To be fair, it really was getting at least a little bit heated. I'm glad you're there when you're needed, I appreciate it. It sounds like it was a tough choice to make, but what can you say really? There was a drumming subject mixed in with another subject that is deemed off limits, so I expected it would get closed before long. The rules must be upheld, and if a thread or post breaches them- I would think the post/thread would be locked/deleted. Don't feel bad, you did the right thing.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I don't know how to react to this, so I'm just going to acknowledge it and offer my apologies where they are needed.

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -

User Info Menu

Would'nt it be better if everyone kept religions out of these threads. When someone mentions any name other than God they get deleted or warned. This is a drum site so let's keep it that way then there would be no problems. Am I right here or not.

User Info Menu

I'm finding that a lot of the new members just don't bother to read the rules when they join. If everyone would just read over them, it would save the mods a lot of time and trouble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    it would save the mods a lot of time and trouble.
    Or get crap for enforcing them.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

If you want to talk religion, go to a religion forum. If you want to talk drums, go to a drum forum.. That said, I hope putting rules in my sig has helped some but it somehow seems to have gotten worse since I tried it. Maybe if more people tried it for more exposure to them? Maybe if the rules were stickied in all sections(drumset, general, hardware, cymbals, and all the subsections) maybe more people would look at them. It would still be a long shot however, you just hope for the best sometimes.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-22-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

But if everyone followed the rules, there wouldn't be a need for any mods!
    (then they wouldn't feel special..maybe..)
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Would'nt it be better if everyone kept religions out of these threads. When someone mentions any name other than God they get deleted or warned. This is a drum site so let's keep it that way then there would be no problems. Am I right here or not.
    Yeah, I better not mention the Flying Spaghetti Monster either, LOL. Just joking folks.

User Info Menu

Rules is rules, whether u have read em or not. Good g-d its that simple!! lol
    keep smiling peeps. Lifes too short.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Aye ratmycue I checked your profile I don't see any pics of your drums? I see you like Kayaking well I live in Kayak country. Does the Madawaska river ring a bell.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't Pastor Bob be considered a religious Post?
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Wouldn't Pastor Bob be considered a religious Post?
    Aw dude, I've been found out! Now I'm gonna get banned!

Wait! Maybe I can change my username to poster_bob!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Naw it just wouldn't sound right.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Aw dude, I've been found out! Now I'm gonna get banned!

Wait! Maybe I can change my username to poster_bob!
    PB, they can't ban you....why, if they did, you'd have to change ya initials to BP (nope, not the oil company...but 'Banned Pastor', lol)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I'm finding that a lot of the new members just don't bother to read the rules when they join. If everyone would just read over them, it would save the mods a lot of time and trouble.
    maybe you could get more mod ?????

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    maybe you could get more mod ?????
    Hey, I'm under-utilized as it is.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Feeling Bishy? oops... Bish, keep me on your side :s
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Hey, I'm under-utilized as it is.
    Under utilized!!!!!?

well how about deleting this *%$^%$#$%$#@!&&^& post

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Yeah, I better not mention the Flying Spaghetti Monster either, LOL. Just joking folks.
    I have been touched by His noodly appendage!

LOL
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Under utilized!!!!!?

well how about deleting this *%$^%$#$%$#@!&&^& post
    Which one?
    Signature here