Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changed reso heads and snare buzzes

User Info Menu

Question changed reso heads and snare buzzes

Hi everyone. I just changed all my reso heads from Ambassadors to EC reso. Now my snare buzzes like crazy when I hit any of the toms. What's happening? I retuned all my drums in the same manner as always and never had a snare buzz like now. Any suggestions would be hellpful.

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: changed reso heads and snare buzzes

Why? An Edge Control Snare Side Head?

Always start with the last thing you did. Put the other head back on and test the drum.

Larrysperf Guest

If that dont work detune each lug on each side of snare wires 1/4 turn. most times this works

User Info Menu

Question Re: changed reso heads and snare buzzes

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Why? An Edge Control Snare Side Head?

Always start with the last thing you did. Put the other head back on and test the drum.
    No ploughman, EC reso on the toms only. This is why I am asking why my snare drum buzzes more now since I took off the Ambassador reso heads off the toms.Nothing to do with the snare side head.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: changed reso heads and snare buzzes

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    If that dont work detune each lug on each side of snare wires 1/4 turn. most times this works
    I already have my 2 lugs on each side of the wires loser than the rest. Any other suggestions?

User Info Menu

Can you isolate which tom is causing the buzz?

I'd sort that out and then try retuning that tom.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Can you isolate which tom is causing the buzz?

I'd sort that out and then try retuning that tom.
    Every tom I hit the snare buzz. The only difference that I can see is in the tuning. I usually have batter and reso the same. This time I gave the reso 1/8 of turn more than the batters. Maybe I will retune them all the old way which was just above finger tight by a 1/4 turn or lowest pitch. Thanks.

User Info Menu

If they all make it buzz, I am going to say that your snares are a bit to loose. Try tightening them just a little bit.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

ThePloughman Guest

I misunderstood which resos were changed there.

You may be tuned to the same tension, but are you at the same pitch? Different heads will tension to different pitches at the same tension.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I misunderstood which resos were changed there.

You may be tuned to the same tension, but are you at the same pitch? Different heads will tension to different pitches at the same tension.
    I know ThePloughman you misunderstood the question but that's ok.This is something that I am going to look at is the pitch. I will retune all the tom heads till they resonate with the drum very well. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreak View Post
    If they all make it buzz, I am going to say that your snares are a bit to loose. Try tightening them just a little bit.
    I did and no change. You can only tighten the snare wires so much. So I will play around retuning the heads on all my toms and then go over the snare again. Thanks

User Info Menu

try tuning the reso head lower.

on a side note, for some reason i get more snare buzz with a coated emperor batter than any other i tried. Maybe there's just certain tones, in different heads, thats more problematic

User Info Menu

It just has to do with the tuning and resonance in the drums. from my experience there isn't much you can do except play around with the tuning so that they don't have that effect. Also you can tighten your snares, or maybe even lossen them; or if all else fails just muffle them in some way, like with tape or moon gel or something. But i feel for you brother, that buzz is really annoying

User Info Menu

Or you can learn to love the Buzz. The Buzz is good. Have you accepted the Buzz into your daily playing?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Every tom I hit the snare buzz. The only difference that I can see is in the tuning. I usually have batter and reso the same. This time I gave the reso 1/8 of turn more than the batters. Maybe I will retune them all the old way which was just above finger tight by a 1/4 turn or lowest pitch. Thanks.
    Agreed. Its a tuning issue IMO.

A perfectly-tuned snare is like they say, "You never know what you have till it's gone."
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Question Re: changed reso heads and snare buzzes

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Or you can learn to love the Buzz. The Buzz is good. Have you accepted the Buzz into your daily playing?
    I don't play in a band to drown my buzz on the snare. I play alot of solo in my studio and hate the buzz. I will go over all the toms and retuned them to the way I always did and never had problems with the buzzing, it is only since I put on those EC reso maybe they don't resonate as much as the Ambassadors that I had on before. Like I said I will tweet around till I am happy with the tuning and the buzz is gone

User Info Menu

Learn to embrace the buzz. Its a hassle to try and eliminate it all, and you will end up compromising on snare sensitivity/sound, or the resonance on your toms.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Ok Guys the snare buzz is gone finaly. I just retuned my toms to the old way and bingo it worked. So my EC2's over EC reso sound great. No more moogel on any of them. My snare with the EC frosted with reverse dot over Hazy 300 sounds great too. Now my all maple drum kit sounds like it should to me nice, warm and alive. Thanks for all your suggestions.

User Info Menu

hate when that happens but its gunna happen
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Going from a 20 wire to a 30 wire, would that have effect on buzz? I tried that and I got buzz. Went back to the 20 wire and the buzz went away. I just don't know if I had something messed up when I did that. The snare was very sensitivity with the 30 wire but had the buzz when I hit the toms.
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Dark Mocha Fade

Lugwig Supra-Phonic 6.5*14 Snare

14" Paiste Signature Medium Hats
    12" Meinl Classics Custom Trash Crash
    16" Meinl Byzance Trash Crash
    17" Paiste Twenty Thin Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Full Crash
    20" Paiste Signature Full Crash
    20" Meinl Byzance Dark Ride

DW 5000

User Info Menu

I'm glad you fixed the buzzing. Mine buzzes even if there is another instrument playing lol! I'm still learning how to tune my drums.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LL70 View Post
    I'm glad you fixed the buzzing. Mine buzzes even if there is another instrument playing lol! I'm still learning how to tune my drums.
    experiment ...!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LL70 View Post
    Mine buzzes even if there is another instrument playing lol!
    LL70, even if you have your drums "perfectly tuned," snare buzz can still happen with other instruments playing. Other instruments are melodic, so they have a much greater chance of playing notes that will cause harmonic vibration of your snare wires. That's why guitarists crank up their amps. It's actually a courtesy to drummer who don't want to hear the snare buzz. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Ok Guys the snare buzz is gone finaly. I just retuned my toms to the old way and bingo it worked. So my EC2's over EC reso sound great. No more moogel on any of them. My snare with the EC frosted with reverse dot over Hazy 300 sounds great too. Now my all maple drum kit sounds like it should to me nice, warm and alive. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    This is the combination I have now! I love it. I just changed all my resos to EC's. Had the EC2's on for a while. I found that tuning my resos a bit higher that my batter helped with tuning. Also just changed out my snare to an onyx. I love it, a bit suprised just wanted to try something new and found something I like. I had the reverse dot before and liked that too but found that I got too many overtones for my liking.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    LL70, even if you have your drums "perfectly tuned," snare buzz can still happen with other instruments playing. Other instruments are melodic, so they have a much greater chance of playing notes that will cause harmonic vibration of your snare wires. That's why guitarists crank up their amps. It's actually a courtesy to drummer who don't want to hear the snare buzz. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!
    I like that story.

@itche, yes I do need to experiment.
    Last edited by LL70; 05-21-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish