Thread: Should I worry or not that is the question?

User Info Menu

Question Should I worry or not that is the question?

I took all the hardware off my MCX all maple snare just for a maintenance check. I noticed on the snare side ( bottom) bearing edge where all the plies meet an air line between the plies. It measures about 1/4 of an inch. Looks like the plies are separating. Should I worry about something like this? Will it get worse over the years? Will it affect the sound of the drum? should I contact Pearl drums with this or not. I need some advise soon.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Should I worry or not that is the question?

I would contact Pearl man after all we have lifetime warranties =]
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

+1 let the manufacture fix or replace..as long as there is a lifetime warranty
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

thanks guys I am not too sure who I should contact for this. Maybe from the store I bought it from who is lamusic from Toronto, Ontario. I don't think there is a Pearl representive in Canada. I wonder what kind of BS I will have to go through. This will mean that I will be out of my snare for god knows how long. Dang I hate this. I have lifetime warranty on this snare and my whole kit. What will happen if I keep playing my snare will it eventually come apart.

User Info Menu

I'm sure Pearl would probably start blaming you for your snare, saying that you did something to it and now it's beyond them. Total BS. Take it to a drum repair shop, they'll have it fixed in no time. If worse comes to worse, you can always buy a better snare. And besides, you have three snares already...
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Should I worry or not that is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    I'm sure Pearl would probably start blaming you for your snare, saying that you did something to it and now it's beyond them. Total BS. Take it to a drum repair shop, they'll have it fixed in no time. If worse comes to worse, you can always buy a better snare. And besides, you have three snares already...
    I do but this is my best sounding one out of the bunch. I don't think there is a drum repair shop near me but I will check it out. I will still contact the store and see what they say or do. Thanks

User Info Menu

If you are a member of the Pearl forum, contact Al or Gene and ask for the rep from canada, or see if they could help you directly. They have fantastic customer service and would definately take care of your problem.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Unhappy Re: Should I worry or not that is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    If you are a member of the Pearl forum, contact Al or Gene and ask for the rep from canada, or see if they could help you directly. They have fantastic customer service and would definately take care of your problem.
    I wish it was that easy being a member of the Pearl forum. I have tried 3 different occasions to become member and nothing. I know that Pearl has a good reputation for their customer relationship. The problem is finding the right contact.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 02-20-2011 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Pearl MCX Man, sorry to hear about your snare, I'll bet they'll say it's some kind of moisture problem you got going on as to were the drums are kept, I'd check the rest of them too. Don't take no static from them, I hope everything turns out for the best.

User Info Menu

i would say call both

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Thanks guys today is the day to call around. I don' tknow what is wrong with this world today no more integrity,pride and workmanship like the old days. Now it seems everytime I buy something new there is some hidden flaw and it doesn't matter what it is. I hope this snare thing does'nt turn into a nightmare cause like most of you have mentioned they will probably blame me. My drums are in a well insulated and themostatic controlled environment so there is no reason to blame it on that. I will see wish me luck. I hope Peal doesn't let me down.

User Info Menu

There are three reasons why the laminates would separate. Moisture, bad glue job, and damage. Call Pearl ASAP. If you stumbled across this then obviously it wasn't damage. If you damaged your favorite drum, you would have known immediately. Pearl will most likely try to say it was damage but, if the bearing edge is intact with no sign of damage, or impression to the bearing edge, or no damages to the lugs from over tightening or lastly, water damage, then you are good to go. You have to be very very firm with pearl. They love to sell, but they dont like to build or work on drums twice, and get paid once.

I purchased an old pacific series back in 2003 and my bass drum hoops did this exact thing. I think over time the glue breaks down and the plies separate. This is what you get with lower end construction. I cant see them using cheaper glue on lower end kits. How much cheaper can glue get ?

Lastly, if Pearl doesn't fix the problem, this is an easy fix. Using compressed air, very quickly give a shot at the separated laminants, blowing out the old glue and dust. Again, do this very quickly and directly in-line, not from an angle to ultimately separate the laminants more. Then tape off the area beneath the bearing edge and in the immediate area. Apply tight-bond wood glue with a small dowel or tooth pick. You may have to add a droop of water to the glue to thin and help the absorption into the laminants. then take a small clamp and towels and lightly clamp tight. Remove all glue that oozes out and tighten until laminants are again, flush and tight. let set for a few hours. Remove the clamp and take 0000 steel wool and lightly kiss the bearing edge to get rid of any additional glue. Once this is finished, apply butchers wax to the entire bearing edge. Finished. PS... if you have any small pieces of wood and a small band saw, you can make inner and outer diameter calls rather then placing the small clamp directly to your drum. That is close to STUPID. Just dont use 1/2 in material. Make sure the wood is thick enough where it doesnt topple under pressure and damage your drum more. id work with a 2x4 which has a larger surface contact and cut your diamater from the larger dimension ( the 4 inch side ) . Even thought we all know 2x4 are really 1 3/4 x 3 something.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Should I worry or not that is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    There are three reasons why the laminates would separate. Moisture, bad glue job, and damage. Call Pearl ASAP. If you stumbled across this then obviously it wasn't damage. If you damaged your favorite drum, you would have known immediately. Pearl will most likely try to say it was damage but, if the bearing edge is intact with no sign of damage, or impression to the bearing edge, or no damages to the lugs from over tightening or lastly, water damage, then you are good to go. You have to be very very firm with pearl. They love to sell, but they dont like to build or work on drums twice, and get paid once.

I purchased an old pacific series back in 2003 and my bass drum hoops did this exact thing. I think over time the glue breaks down and the plies separate. This is what you get with lower end construction. I cant see them using cheaper glue on lower end kits. How much cheaper can glue get ?

Lastly, if Pearl doesn't fix the problem, this is an easy fix. Using compressed air, very quickly give a shot at the separated laminants, blowing out the old glue and dust. Again, do this very quickly and directly in-line, not from an angle to ultimately separate the laminants more. Then tape off the area beneath the bearing edge and in the immediate area. Apply tight-bond wood glue with a small dowel or tooth pick. You may have to add a droop of water to the glue to thin and help the absorption into the laminants. then take a small clamp and towels and lightly clamp tight. Remove all glue that oozes out and tighten until laminants are again, flush and tight. let set for a few hours. Remove the clamp and take 0000 steel wool and lightly kiss the bearing edge to get rid of any additional glue. Once this is finished, apply butchers wax to the entire bearing edge. Finished. PS... if you have any small pieces of wood and a small band saw, you can make inner and outer diameter calls rather then placing the small clamp directly to your drum. That is close to STUPID. Just dont use 1/2 in material. Make sure the wood is thick enough where it doesnt topple under pressure and damage your drum more. id work with a 2x4 which has a larger surface contact and cut your diamater from the larger dimension ( the 4 inch side ) . Even thought we all know 2x4 are really 1 3/4 x 3 something.
    Thanks Animal for the support but I would not try to fix it myself not wood repairing inclined if you know what I mean. I will contact the store and Pearl and see what they say. I've heard Pearl is pretty good and not only that I have lifetime warranty against any defects or whatever. I think plies coming apart is a glue defect to me. My snare is only 2 years while my kit is 5 and I checked all the bearing edges and plies are intack so it could be just a fluke. Thanks

User Info Menu

Aye Animal just got word back from Pearl Canada that they will replace the snare no problem. As soon as they saw the pics of the crack they did not dispute it. I was sure they would come through because Pearl as a good reputation for customer services and this proves it. I am waiting for the detail about sending the old one back. Thanks Pearl Drum.