Thread: next dumb question!

User Info Menu

Default next dumb question!

ok i have how im gonna mount my internal mics in the toms, question is, what about the snare? does it like to have the mic inside or out more? does it like two of them facing opposite directions? and what to do about the bass mount. hhmmm
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Default Re: next dumb question!

snares sound best with a mic in the outside they even say this on the may website
    as for a internal kick mount the Kelly Shu gos pretty cheap on the evilbay
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

I have 1 external mic on the snare, about 1 finger heigth above the rim. The mic is pointing horizontal across the head, with the mic head above the rim. Dont put it too far towards the center of the drum, this will produce more fat tones. Let the mic get some of that shell resonance.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

heres a video of something I recorded recently. As the camera moves around you can see how I have all my mics placed and hear how they sound in those positions

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T0FWwi9mp0"]YouTube - Drum and Bass[/ame]

User Info Menu

I've had best results with two mics, one batter side, one snare side. Be sure to invert the polarity on one of them, usually the snare side, because you'll have the two mics basically pointing at each other and they will be out of phase. I do this by switching hot and cold on one end of a dedicated mic cable. Be sure to mark that mic cable so you don't use it for anything else.

When mixing you can really hear the difference fading back and forth from top to bottom mic. I've found that if you only mic the batter side you miss a lot of the snap from the snares. Mic-ing the kit live I usually only mic the snare side because I sing back-ups and my headset is pretty hot and picks up the snare a lot better than I really want so it is a comprimise for the best sound in that case.