Thread: Electronic Drum sets

User Info Menu

Default Electronic Drum sets

I have played the Yamaha DTXpress III set in a drum shop and thought it was great especially since my drumming is done mostly alone. With ear phones you can play (with little externl sound) a huge number of arrangements and the cymbal and pad voices can be adjusted to suit.

Does anyone practice on such a set or do they have any opinions on who makes the best ones?

I know ! I know! they are not real drums but there are times when I think they would suit and be a blast.

Any thoughts on the subject from experienced players?

PapapG

User Info Menu

sure aint nothing wrong with them. roland and hart dynamics are usually the choice of the pros.

User Info Menu

Roland TD20 V-Drums all the way. Best there is IMO - I don't have one unfortunately (can't afford it) - but I have played a downgraded version at my local drum store and LOVED it. Feels almost natural, if not natural - and with the adjustable mesh "skins", auto dual trigger for rimshot, and the hi-hat mechanism they have developed - it's amazing The Yamaha's there couldn't really come close. Combine that with the array of sounds, effects and the realism of the sound, it's just great.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

TD-20, da bomb!

User Info Menu

Buy a low end Roland over a Medium Yamaha... Or buy a mid-level Roland over the high end Yamaha. Just don't buy Yamaha.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

I just did a concert in Leesburg Florida, Opened up for a Jim Van Fleet i played my Yamaha dtxpressIII and when i walked off the stage it was all i could do to get on the bus, people were freaking out over how they sounded. they rocked that country music but good. Jims drummer and i became very close friends that day and he could not get over the fact i had enough nerve to bring such a small kit with me that day. The sound man was also happy because all he had to do was set my sound level, i did the rest. Don't get me wrong now i still love my 25 year old accustic yamahas very much, but Sunday i played with a pulled mucel in my right leg, and i just did not have the punch i really needed for our 90 min. show, so i brought the dtxpress. 3000 people were there and there was a line for over an hour just so people could look to see what the heck they were. Our manager brought them to the signing table so people could look at them i was cracking up!! So anyway thats what happen to me....Good Luck and thanks for listening. Braxton
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braxton
    I just did a concert in Leesburg Florida, Opened up for a Jim Van Fleet i played my Yamaha dtxpressIII and when i walked off the stage it was all i could do to get on the bus, people were freaking out over how they sounded. they rocked that country music but good. Jims drummer and i became very close friends that day and he could not get over the fact i had enough nerve to bring such a small kit with me that day. The sound man was also happy because all he had to do was set my sound level, i did the rest. Don't get me wrong now i still love my 25 year old accustic yamahas very much, but Sunday i played with a pulled mucel in my right leg, and i just did not have the punch i really needed for our 90 min. show, so i brought the dtxpress. 3000 people were there and there was a line for over an hour just so people could look to see what the heck they were. Our manager brought them to the signing table so people could look at them i was cracking up!! So anyway thats what happen to me....Good Luck and thanks for listening. Braxton
    Cool Braxton!

User Info Menu

i play a roland td-6 kit and they sound good and are easy to set up and plug and play they have the mesh head on the snare and rubber on the rest the rubber are fine they are good enough to do what you need to do in any style of music I play christian rock and contemporary works both ways and has plenty of sounds roland is the way to go new about $700-$5000 td-3 through td-20 they are all awsome check them out at your local music store or online

User Info Menu

I'm happy with my TD 6. They're way better than the DTX's. They have more functions, have better cymbal sounds, and are cheaper. At least that's my opinion. I plan on getting the 20 down the road. Blessings..........

User Info Menu

So, I see that most folks with E-drums, have either mesh, or rubber triggers. My kit has something very similar to a practice pad, it has actual drum heads and underneath those is a thin sheet of rubber, almost like a mousepad, and under that the trigger is a thin sheet of metal that covers the entire surface of the pad. Is this abnormal? Could it be why I have response issues with my drums?

Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.