Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquarian Cymbal Springs.

User Info Menu

Default Aquarian Cymbal Springs.

I talked about these awhile back and have some pics of one on the kit with a cymbal on it.

I wound up cutting the threads off the stand to lower the cymbal down lower. For me there still alittle on the high side and I plan on cutting the stand down a few more inches, but this will require reeming the mounting hole out to size on the cymbal spring. No biggy, just need time to do it. The last mod should put it in an area where I can tilt the cymbals back to more of a flatter angle. I'm required to tilt the cymbals more than I'm comfortable with due to hieght issue.

One thing I've noticed with these cymbal springs is that it seems like it does wear on the center hole alittle, not bad, probably normal wear. But I figure after the last mod and tilting them back to a normal flatter angle should keep them from trying to wear on the center hole.

I know, if they are wearing on the cymbal hole then why keep using them? They do work as advertised and can see how they can keep your cymbals from cracking and sudden damage, and I can tell a difference in the sound between using the cymbal springs and using the "A"- typical cymbal mounts. There is a difference in sound for sure.

Here's a pic ......

Music Gifts for Musicians

CLICK HERE TO BUY

Check out the flexability! You have to be careful on your cymbal placement! I've never actually seen them bend this far down after a strike, but they do swing back and forth, but with exellent control.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aquarian Cymbal Springs.

Not sure how I would feel about destryoing a cymbal stand just to use a spring. To each his own however. I have thought about getting some of these, but if it requires altering my stands, then I am not going to. Can you post a pick of the mod to the stand so I can see it?
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Jafo,

What kind of stands are you using? Haven't heard of having to cut down a stand before. Just want to understand the situation. As for keyholing, or the wear on the center cymbal hole, would avoid this and perhaps find an alternative even if you love the attachments. The attachments are perhaps small expense compared to stands and cymbals. Have you cracked cymbals before without use of the cymbal springs?
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    Jafo,

What kind of stands are you using? Haven't heard of having to cut down a stand before. Just want to understand the situation. As for keyholing, or the wear on the center cymbal hole, would avoid this and perhaps find an alternative even if you love the attachments. The attachments are perhaps small expense compared to stands and cymbals. Have you cracked cymbals before without use of the cymbal springs?
    OK, for starters just to clear the air alittle. I'm using a drum rack, on a regular straight or boom stand, it's just a simple adjustment of the stand hieght. No cutting anything. The problem I ran into with my PDP rack is that each one of the corner posts for the rack has a cymbal boom in it. Due to the pre determined hieght of each corner post, it made the cymbal to high for me after the sring was installed on the holder with the threaded portion still on them. These cymbal holders are the same booms that you can find on any boom stand. I had plenty of extra stands around to use for my experiment. Besides I can pick up used boomstands about anytime from GC cheap. So if it didn't work out, no harm really, just go get a couple used boomstands and all is well.

So here in the first pick is a photo of the top of the boom that holds the cymbal. I has the threaded portion removed. I wanted the bottom of the sroing holder down as close to the bigger portion of the rod so I measured and cut.

The next pic is the boom itself. No cymbal or cymbal spring installed. You can see the base where the boom stand goes into the corner post.

The next pic is a photo of how high the cymbal is when in the seat. Keep in mind, this is after the modifications. So add about 4 inches more hieght and you can get an idea of just how high with the threaded portion still on the boom.

In the last pic here is the boom on the corner post with cymbal spring installed. I'd like to take about 4 more inches off. For me it's still to high. I'd like to get a flatter angle on the cymbal

So, yeh I can understand you guys kinda freakin out about cutting stuff up. But if your utilising a regular cymbal stand, you wouldn't need to do any cutting really because you can adjust the trunk of the cymbal stand much lower than what the drum rack corner posts will allow.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

I am thinking about investing in some cymbal springs. My hardware is stock though, so it is by no means top of the line. I'm afraid it might not be able to handle the springs. At any rate, thanks for the post Jafo!
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Interesting.....Other than your thread on these Ive never seen or heard of them before. Thanks for posting pics.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I just want to make sure it's clear that in my case I had to make mods to my cymbal booms. If you get a cymbal spring, try it first before doing any mods to your equipment. I'd hate to see anyone mod there equipment and it not work out becaue of this thread.

Again, I want to make it clear that if you use a regular cymbal stand, it should not be necessary to make any mods to the stand.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    Jafo,

Yes I have cracked a cymbal that was not on a cymbal spring. Albiet, it was an 18" Paiste Alpha thin crash, bought used. It was in exellent condition. At that time, I was using the stock felt and plastic sleeve cymbal holders. I'm not a hard striker on cymbals, I'm from my own opinion a normal striker. I think with the cymbals tilted at such an angle, it puts un-needed stress on the center whole. By modding the booms to lower the cymbal, this should allow me to level out the cymbal and take stress off the center whole. In other words instead of the center whole resting on the center shaft of the spring holder, it should rest flatter on the rubber neoprene cushion.

As far as the keyholing issue, it hasn't started keyholing the cymbal yet, but there is cymbal material residue on the portion of the cymbal spring holder shaft area, normal cymbal holders in this area are either plastic sleeves or rubber slipovers.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

I have used these for years & I know they have prolonged the life of my cymbals (A Customs all around). These are a great product & I recommend them for anyone who hits heavy from time to time.
    Nice setup, I have the same rack & it's great! (Never had to mod my boom posts but it's just a preference thing with the height I guess).
    BTW they make them with different spring rates, they have different colored rubber parts to indicate the spring rate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    I have used these for years & I know they have prolonged the life of my cymbals (A Customs all around). These are a great product & I recommend them for anyone who hits heavy from time to time.
    Nice setup, I have the same rack & it's great! (Never had to mod my boom posts but it's just a preference thing with the height I guess).
    BTW they make them with different spring rates, they have different colored rubber parts to indicate the spring rate.
    Good point on the spring rates.

Got any pics you can put up on this thread of your setup?

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Well I'm off to go ahead and cut a few more inches off my booms.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Aquarian Cymbal Springs.

Aquarian cymbal springs are da best thing to happen to a cymbal!!!!
    I've been usin mine now about 30 years,,,,Thxs to Rod Morgenstein (Dixie Dregs),,,for turning me on to them...and as always my eternal thanks to Roy Burns for yer great products and for bein in my life!!!...

TIS MY PLEASURE & HONOR TO SING YER PRAISES....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Good point on the spring rates.

Got any pics you can put up on this thread of your setup?
    Here are a couple old pics that may not be much help, as the springs at that point were on the side extension of the rack, not the boom arms made onto it...
    There are a few more pics in my albums if you want to look.

User Info Menu

Here are a couple old pics that may not be much help, as the springs at that point were on the side extension of the rack, not the boom arms made onto it...
    There are a few more pics in my albums if you want to look.

Very nice setup! Are those Mapex or Dw's? I really like that finish, looks kinda like curly maple. I always thought tiger maple would make a killer looking frum set, not sure about the sound though.

Crazy thing about that rack and I see it on yours too because they are the same rack and thats the boom cymbal holders on the corners are all the way down. Theres like another foot of length you can go up. I don't understand why they made the corner posts so darn tall. They could have made them a third shorter and then you could use the length of the cymbal holder more effectively.
    I guess I have found the only thing I don't like about the rack, tall corner posts. I guess one could cut them down but corner posts are not as easy to replace if you mess up.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Very nice setup! Are those Mapex or Dw's? I really like that finish, looks kinda like curly maple. I always thought tiger maple would make a killer looking frum set, not sure about the sound though.

Crazy thing about that rack and I see it on yours too because they are the same rack and thats the boom cymbal holders on the corners are all the way down. Theres like another foot of length you can go up. I don't understand why they made the corner posts so darn tall. They could have made them a third shorter and then you could use the length of the cymbal holder more effectively.
    I guess I have found the only thing I don't like about the rack, tall corner posts. I guess one could cut them down but corner posts are not as easy to replace if you mess up.
    Thanks, they are actually PDP LXE's (the exotic finish LX's, which preceded the PDP Platinum's). They are maple shells but have a Kurillian Birch veneer which looks even better in person. If you look in my galleries at the close-up of the bass drum you can get a sense of how pretty the wood grain is in person.
    Anyway, one thing which I have done in certain configurations with this rack is actually angle the boom arms DOWN from the corner post to get the cymbals lower (where the joint that holds the boom angles it downward instead of the usual up angle, make sense?). However that can get the cymbals too close to the toms, depending on exactly where your toms are located...
    Good luck man!

User Info Menu

Here's mine doing some bending...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Here's mine doing some bending...

Thats about how much mine bend, but my crashes use the red springs, still they control the cymbals great! I have a Yellow on the ride cymbal.

I've yet to aquire another china, but am thinking of puting a few things onto a priority list. the china is at the bottom right now, but when I get one or any other cymbal, they will be mounted with cymbal springs.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Thanks, they are actually PDP LXE's (the exotic finish LX's, which preceded the PDP Platinum's). They are maple shells but have a Kurillian Birch veneer which looks even better in person. If you look in my galleries at the close-up of the bass drum you can get a sense of how pretty the wood grain is in person.
    Anyway, one thing which I have done in certain configurations with this rack is actually angle the boom arms DOWN from the corner post to get the cymbals lower (where the joint that holds the boom angles it downward instead of the usual up angle, make sense?). However that can get the cymbals too close to the toms, depending on exactly where your toms are located...
    Good luck man!
    PDP crossed my mind after I posted the thread. I noticed the DW like hardware on the drums. The Tiger Maple I refered to is such a unique wood. It looks like the name implies, tiger striped wood. Amazingly beautiful when worked right. My brother builds custom Muzzelloaders and thats the wood he used for mine.

I think I get where your comming from on the angle thing. The way my set is configured I really can't do that with mine. I went out today and cut the rest of the boom down to the max and put the cymbal springs back on. It lowered the cymbals down quite abit, but still has more angle on the cymbals than I want. I'm trying to get the cymbals semi flat, not perfectly flat but with alittle angle to help with hitting the cymbal correctly. I'm going to look into the reverse angle thing you mentioned. Still the alterations I did today makes playing much more comfortable, not reaching so much.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    I am thinking about investing in some cymbal springs. My hardware is stock though, so it is by no means top of the line. I'm afraid it might not be able to handle the springs. At any rate, thanks for the post Jafo!
    Actually, using the springs my help in your case. You just won't know until you try one. You can always take it right back to G.C. 30 day return policy I think. the red ones are about $12 and the yellow are around $13. They won't break the bank. but it really a personal thing on whether you want to use them or not. I thought about it for awhile, then started adding expensive cymbals to my kit, decided I better try something to protect them besides tuning my striking technique.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

I purchased those springs in the late 80's and used them with my rack system. I used them to protect all my new Zildjian A's that I had gotten from Zildjian also.

I broke a lot of cymbals that year....and the rep at Zildjian emphatically told me

"Do not use those cymbal springs!!!"

Just thought I'd pass that along. FWIW

(The rep is still with Zildjian......but he's moved up in the company and is not a "rep" any longer).
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Thats about how much mine bend, but my crashes use the red springs, still they control the cymbals great! I have a Yellow on the ride cymbal.

I've yet to aquire another china, but am thinking of puting a few things onto a priority list. the china is at the bottom right now, but when I get one or any other cymbal, they will be mounted with cymbal springs.
    I really lay in to that cymbal sometimes...often harder than I should, TBH. It's going strong after 5 years of near abuse. (Sabian 18" AAX, btw)

User Info Menu

Jafo,

Thanks for all the detailed clarifications with pics!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

To be honest, I really don't think there is a 100% guarentee you will never crack a cymbal no matter if use spings or not. I think it stems back to the quality of the cymbal maker and thier quality checks. from what I understand they are pretty tight tolerances across the board with all cymbal makers. But you'll never convince me that there are not acceptions to the rule every now and then. Comanies hire new people all the time. New people go through learning curves ect. I'm not a cymbal expert, never been to a factory but have watched the process a few times and can see that they have experienced craftsmen and close tolerences. But I have to think sometimes things pass through without getting caught. Never the less, I'll do whatever I can to insure that I don't crack cymbals. the one I did crack they don't make anymore and was a dang good cymbal.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I purchased those springs in the late 80's and used them with my rack system. I used them to protect all my new Zildjian A's that I had gotten from Zildjian also.

I broke a lot of cymbals that year....and the rep at Zildjian emphatically told me

"Do not use those cymbal springs!!!"

Just thought I'd pass that along. FWIW

(The rep is still with Zildjian......but he's moved up in the company and is not a "rep" any longer).
    OK, there had to be a theory in there somewhere. Was there an explanation or theory behind why he said cymbal springs were the reason you were breaking cymbals? I'm curious. I've heard nothing but good things about'm until now. I've been playing with them for alittle while now and just can't imagine why something that gives with the strike would cause the cymbal to break.

Initially the reason for me to use them was cymbal control, the cymbal saving was just a bonus till I got into pro level cymbals. Now it's more for preserving then controling.

So please shed some light on your post.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

OK, there had to be a theory in there somewhere. Was there an explanation or theory behind why he said cymbal springs were the reason you were breaking cymbals? I'm curious. I've heard nothing but good things about'm until now. I've been playing with them for alittle while now and just can't imagine why something that gives with the strike would cause the cymbal to break.

Initially the reason for me to use them was cymbal control, the cymbal saving was just a bonus till I got into pro level cymbals. Now it's more for preserving then controling.

So please shed some light on your post.
    What's easier to open.......a screen door with a spring on it... Or a screen door without a spring? Which door has more resistance?

His explanation then...and I'm obviously paraphrasing...was that the springs actually inhibit the natural inertia that follows through a cymbal when you strike it.

The normal hinge/fulcrum/pivot point on the cymbal is only held back by the natural weight of the cymbal when mounted on a stand....the spring actually adds more resistance to the natural motion created when striking the cymbal.

Thereby making the cymbals more prone to damage.

...or something like that.

I stopped using them....like he asked.......and what do you know.....I didn't break so many cymbals after that.

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.