Thread: Snare Ring after i hit it.

User Info Menu

Angry Snare Ring after i hit it.

i have a ridiculous snare ring after i hit it, the snare are centered on the reso head, they arent wore out. after i even tighten the snares with he little screw it still rigs for like 5 secs after i hit it. and they buzz HORRIBLY with my toms, but im not too worried about that.. i need some help please

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Ring after i hit it.

There are several threads regarding this topic so try to search this site a little more. I suggest you try: 1. Retuning your batter and reso heads until the buzzing stops. 2. Tightening your snare wires. 3. If these two fail then try adjusting the four lugs that are closest to your snare wires on your resonant snare head.

I've had the problem before and fixed it with retuning. And remember that a snare is supposed to buzz so "learn to love the buzz!" - Kazaamski
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you need to learn you some tunin'.
    Excessive ring is cause by overtones, and the head not being in tune with itself. I think you should probably go back, loosen all the lugs, and restart. The idea is to get an even tension around all the lugs. Start with the lugs finger tight, and use consistent turns on the key around the head. You'll wanna use a tuning pattern, just google 8 lug tuning pattern or 10 lug, depending on how many lugs your snare has. When you get to a tension you like, start tapping with your finger or stick, about an inch in from each lug. You are trying to get each lug to have the same pitch. Putting some sort of muffling on the drum will help kill overtones, and can make finding the pitch at each lug easier. When all the lugs sound as close to each other as you can tell, flip the drum over and start on the other side. This should help kill off alot of excess ring. For reference, I use a high tension on my snares, 2 full turns on the top head, 2.5 turns on the bottom head. That's a pretty high tension. Good luck. And remember, tuning is a skill, that takes practice and time. And you should learn accept the Buzz. The Buzz is good. The Buzz is constant.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Well shared gentlemen, and welcome to Drum Chat Ethangrobb! Etahn, the folks here will keep helping you until you've got it. Hang in there, and know that everyone has to learn, so we've all been there.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Kaz hit it dead on pretty much. Tuning is a major part of the game, a good tuning can make or break whether or nor not you hear that buzz. I would like to add however, that even if you tune perfectly, there still remains a high probability you will hear snare buzz. If the heads are in tune and the wires and tight enough, that leaves only one culprit. The proximity effect! Try moving your snare farther away from your 12" tom, or whichever one is closest to it. You may need to play with a different angle, or use a small amount of tape on your snare wires to control them. Just a tiny bit of tape though, too much will create a dead and non responsive sound that you DON'T WANT. Personally I like scotchtape because it doesn't leave sticky residue like masking tape can.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have been tuning my drums for years and lately I have the same problem snare buzzes. So I guess retuning would be the alternative to this problem. I use a little bit of Moon Gel instead of tape cause it works better and leaved no glue just a bit of light blue on the skin from the gel but washed off. Good luck

User Info Menu

If you use a Drum Dial it will help you immensely, I bought one last weekend and tuned all my drums with it. It made the experience less esoteric and took the ring right out of my snare. I then played a while and then tweeked the tunings the next couple of days as things settled in. I have a good ear and always just tuned them by ear in the past, but saw this thing and tried it, and wish I'd had it when I started playing. of Course when I started I jammed to my 8 tracks : )

zRam

User Info Menu

this may sound dumb...is your snare or snare stand hitting or touching any part of BD, tom, cymbal stand..etc..??
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

If you have an old batter head lying around, you can cut a ring or half-ring out of it like a Zero-Ring to tame the ring down. No residue whatsoever, and makes what was trash useful.

To calm snare buzz, try a small (credit card-sized) strategically placed piece of paper between the snare wires and the reso head. Play around with the exact location a little.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian