Thread: Pearl EX Series and simular.

User Info Menu

Default Pearl EX Series and simular.

Hi.

I been looking for a drum kit for ages. I been playing for nearly 10 years now and never owned my own decent drum kit. I have always Borrowed Or used drum kits around But recently my friend is moving to Tazzie and has to take his kit with him. My Girlfriend has 3 grand for my birthday present (or more if i save. or ask for more) But within reason. I was originally looking at a Pearl Ex. But thats because its all i ever known.

What is something simular. Im keen for a ludwig or a gretsch even maybe a mapex or tama. but i dont understand their series as well as i understand pearl. (In terms of Whats more professional. What sounds better etc.)

Anything to help me find something I will love and enjoy (And be able to build up on later on) Would be greatly Apreciated.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Hey,

Sonor have been making big inroads into Australia lately, the 2005 and 3005 series would be roughly equivalent in quality, price and value to Pearl Export.

Don't get me wrong, I play Pearl and I love it, but at that price-bracket, Sonor seems to be kicking butt.

Pearl are always solid, and they're very affordable in Oz (and this is what it really comes down to, what stuff has good representation in Australia, otherwise you're paying more in tax and freight than actual drums).

Ludwig seems to be a personal preference thing - some people just love em, a lot of others think they're overpriced for what they are - in Australia, they're not as well represented as other brands.

Mapex is a no go. They just don't stack up to the other brands at that level.

Tama used to be all the rage (back in the 80s and early 90s), but I just don't seem to see it around anymore, I'd be hesitant about going with Tama.

Just my two cents. Always happy to help.

Jobby

User Info Menu

Does anyone else know much about the tama's ?

User Info Menu

how much is your 3 grand compaired to american dollars? 3 grand american will get you a pretty nice pro level kit. ebay will even get you one with hardware, cymbals and cases. the prices on the tama starclassic performers (birch) have really dropped. possibly the best pro kit for the money. the gretsch renown (maple) is also a very affordable quality kit.

User Info Menu

Don't get your girlfriend to pay for your drums... not a good idea.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    Don't get your girlfriend to pay for your drums... not a good idea.
    are you kidding? it don't get no better than that. you go ya big manwhore, milk that sugarmamma

User Info Menu

Lol well it came from her mum who was a loser to her. And the money is mine. its just like that..... I already talked about it I got the bases covered But no milking sugar mommas. I love her and wanna be with her for a long long time. 3000 australian would be between 2000 and 2500 in america i guess. I dunno if there are taxes though because i think there are free trade agreements between us i think.
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 06-03-2007 at 12:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Great set yet not too much
    Last edited by drummer; 08-11-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    R.I.P. Vic Firth Ralph Hardimon's you were my favorite

User Info Menu

you could get a 5pc, tama starclassic performer with hardware and a cymbal pack for that much. i would bet you can find a killer used set with everything. i wouldnt buy anything that isnt directly in stock from pearl, i have heard horror stories about wait times on custom orders from pearl aus.
    if i lived in aussie i would HAVE to own a brady custom kit. but for 3k you might get a snare and 1 tom, those drums are expensive.

User Info Menu

Ok . What if i said money isnt an issue? I want a 5piece fusion kit. 20 or 22'' Bass. 10 12 14. Then evantually spread that out to a 8 and 16 as well. I want the 2002C Eliminator peddle (pearl) and prolly ZXT's or maybe something by paiste. But again im not after super duper crisp perfect sound. I want something that can sound lush. And take travel and a slight beating. (it is my first proper kit)

User Info Menu

well, if price isnt an issue i would def. say stay away from zxt cymbals. they sound like titanium coated turds.

User Info Menu

i wasnt gonna get the titanium coated turds coz i know there turds :p but im gonna look into some paste customs maybe?

User Info Menu

Try some wuhans. At that price you cant go wrong!

User Info Menu

wuhans.... what are they?

User Info Menu

I just took a browse at the reference series. ME like. Buttttt there are only 6 colours and they all look lame against what the kit is capable of! What is wrong with these people...... I may just stick with the masters