Thread: How can I clean a Pearl brass shell?

User Info Menu

Default How can I clean a Pearl brass shell?

I have a Pearl 3-1/2 x 14 brass snare that has dark spots on the shell. Does anyone know if the shell is laquered and needs a special cleaner or are there other products I can use to clean and polish this brass drum without damageing the finish? Sincere Thanks,
    Don

User Info Menu

Default Re: How can I clean a Pearl brass shell?

I don't know if the spots will come out, but there are many great brass cleaners out there.

User Info Menu

The safest I can think of would be water/vinegar for a start and if this does not work then wait till you hear from other drummers . You should visit the Pearl drum discussion page on this site and ask that question and see what replies you get. Good luck

User Info Menu

dark spots means that corrosion is occurring under the clear lacquer coat that protects the brass... if only minor, you can leave it alone

getting rid of the spots means stripping the lacquer, polishing out the blemishes and possibly respraying, which is doable, but is a bit more work

User Info Menu

All replies are very much appreciated. I think I'll try Pearl MCX man's viniger/water solution that sounds least destructive to the shell.Thanks again, Don

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alba359 View Post
    All replies are very much appreciated. I think I'll try Pearl MCX man's viniger/water solution that sounds least destructive to the shell.Thanks again, Don
    Let us know if the water/vinegar solution works for you.

User Info Menu

Default Worked Great for what I wanted!!

Sorry it took so long to get back guys. Ghe vinegar and water got the grime off without damaging the surface. Its more of a presorvation then restoraion. I'm quite satisfied with the results. Thanks for all of your help. Sincerely, Don

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Worked Great for what I wanted!!

Quote Originally Posted by alba359 View Post
    Sorry it took so long to get back guys. Ghe vinegar and water got the grime off without damaging the surface. Its more of a presorvation then restoraion. I'm quite satisfied with the results. Thanks for all of your help. Sincerely, Don
    Sorry it took me awhile to respond too. I have always used the vinegar/water to clean just about anything from cymbals, clear/coated drumheads and hardware. It is all natural and safe on anything. Another little secret if you throw in a little baking soda it will make it abit potent for the harder to get off stains.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Worked Great for what I wanted!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Sorry it took me awhile to respond too. I have always used the vinegar/water to clean just about anything from cymbals, clear/coated drumheads and hardware. It is all natural and safe on anything. Another little secret if you throw in a little baking soda it will make it abit potent for the harder to get off stains.
    and.. while you're at it, you can make 1 of those volcano thingys out of paper mache! can't beat vinegar and baking soda for lots of bubbles!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Worked Great for what I wanted!!

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    and.. while you're at it, you can make 1 of those volcano thingys out of paper mache! can't beat vinegar and baking soda for lots of bubbles!
    Also good for unclogging sinks etc.