Thread: Guitarist learning to drum

User Info Menu

Default Guitarist learning to drum

Hello All,
    New here and new to drumming. I've been playing guitar in bands for 25 yrs. I've always loved the drums and finally picked up a set a few days ago. Although I can keep a beat, I want to learn the proper way of doing things. Been watching some rudiment videos on youtube, but I'd love to hear your advice on how I should go about my new musical journey.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Guitarist learning to drum

CW, you probably know just enough to be dangerous. Unfortunately, this is not a good thing as you've seen too many times with musicians learning a new instrument (like the guitar). The problem is that you've probably learned too much and not enough of the basics....that is, you need a good foundation. The only way I know to get that is by getting some lessons. However, once you get going, I think you'd soon be on auto-pilot !

User Info Menu

Question I have is, do you have issues tuning the drums. As a 20 year vet on guitar, I learned to train my ear because my attitude and past experience as a guitar player and tech, was the wrong attitude. I know play the drums as a drummer and tune as a drummer, not a guitar player. Its not an easy thing to do after being one with a guitar for 20 years.

User Info Menu

Now *

User Info Menu

Since i bought the kit I've changed the batter heads and about to change the reso's. Well, so far so good with the tuning, however, still having trouble with some ringing here and there, but nothing too bad. Hopefully I'll get better with time.

User Info Menu

Pick up a Drum Dial...it measures head tension ....read the instructions that come with it...it will be your best friend for many years to come. Once you get a drum tuned to the point the head tension is about equal at each tuning lug, lightly muffle the center of the head with a small wash cloth or something similar, and lightly tap about an inch to the inside of each tuning lug...listen for the tone. Pick a tone that sounds "right" to you and tune the rest to that pitch. Do that for each drum and once you get the entire kit tuned ...play em a while ...make adjustments if needed till you get that "right on" tone on each drum...write down the readings on the drum dial...and store them where they are easily found.
    After a gig, you will find that occassionally a lug or even several lugs will slightly loosen off...use the muffle and tap trick to get em back in tune.
    When you change heads, use the drum dial and use the settings you wrote down ..then the muffle & tap trick. Works like a charm and you never have to spend a lot of time tuning up after a head change. Of course, this is just IMO...Ive done it for years and it works for me.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

chopperwolf, first of all WELCOME and you picked the right forum..funny I have always been a drummer that wanted to learn guitar..even bought a POS acoustic to mess with..as the others have said..you have GOT to learn the basics..its boring at times but Oh so important to get the feel and timing of your hands doing alternating rythyms. Go ahead and bang away at first to get a feel of motion..then sit back and LEARN all you can with other drummers and on line..check out lessons right here on the chat. And most important don't forget to....
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I think the drum dial is a great tool but I have decided that it is not needed. I got so frustrated with the constant change in ( numbers ) measurement at each lug. I would put the dial down pick it up and put it down and get two different numbers. I could NEVER get all the lugs the same tension. I would find at least one lug measured so high on the dial that I had to all but remove it from the drum before I realized it would never decrease in tension to match the rest without taking the rod out of the drum. The drum dial is impeccable, perfect, with no margin of error slop or play. The drums, are not perfectly round, not 100% symmetrical from all angles, and the rims and head collars arent either. This means you will never get an even number all the way around the head.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the DC chopperwolf. I am the oposite of you I have been playing drums for over 25 years and I just recently picked up a guitar and I will tell you my drumming experience has helped me alot with the strumming ( wrist action) and the tuning cause I always tuned my drums by ear and to me the guitar is the same once you have the tuning sound in your head it gets easy. In other words you will have no problems getting your wrists broken in for drumming. Practice your rudiments slowly before you get into the speed. Then take some of those rudiments around the kit etc. In no time you will be just as good as you were as a guitar player. Good luck and keep on drumming.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat chopperwolf!

If you are looking for information on drums, google "Professor Sound's Drum Tuning Bible." It's got a lot of great information on tuning drums, as well as other useful info. Also, Bob Gatzen's videos on YouTube are very helpful as well.

The get yourself started out with the best technique and direction, I would highly recommend finding a good teacher. If you don't have someone show you the correct basics (something as simple as even the proper grip technique), you might end up having to unlearn bad habits that hold back your progress. Getting the basic down with the help of a teacher will make the journey easier, and will be less frustrating.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Wear ear protection.
    Wait,!! 25 years playing guitar in a band, oops too late. lol

Welcome bud, do yaself a flavour and ask around for the best teacher.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Well, you've already found the rudiment videos. Don't forget to look up some technique videos too. I come from a stringed instrument background as well (cello, bass guitar, guitar), so I had a good theory background. However, I was on a major drumming plateau until fixed some grip issues that I had. It really opened things up when I got my hands right.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Welcome Chopper!!

User Info Menu

Looks like you've got plenty of great advice here, so all i got to say is welcome to DC!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice guy's. I know I've got a long road ahead, but I'm ready for the ride. I'm really glad I found this forum, you might get tired of reading all my newbie questions.
    Thanks Again All,
    Chopperwolf

User Info Menu

Welcome Chopper!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chopperwolf View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guy's. I know I've got a long road ahead, but I'm ready for the ride. I'm really glad I found this forum, you might get tired of reading all my newbie questions.
    Thanks Again All,
    Chopperwolf
    Never worry about the newbie questions Chopperwolf, because the folks around here are happy to help out.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As other have said, you should find a reputable drum teacher and learn the basics. You can't build a house on sand; neither can you develop as a drummer without knowing rudiments, proper posture, proper wrist technique, etc. If you try to teach yourself, you can make some progress using the videos and tutorials out there, but your chances of developing bad habits will be greatly reduced by having a good teacher keep you in check guide you while learning.

And, do this basic practicing on a pad, not the drumset, although playing along with recordings is a great way to learn to play steady time and fun at the same time. Nothing can replace diligence and practice, but you probably already know that as a guitarist.
    DW Drummer Signing Off