Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Purpose of a Vent

User Info Menu

Question The Purpose of a Vent

This seems like a dumb question for me considering I've gone so long without asking it, but what purpose do the air vents on our drums serve?
    Other than the obvious of course...
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: The Purpose of a Vent

Pevents choking. The stick striking the head creates compression. The vent allows the compressed air in the drum to escape, and thereby creating the ideal atmosphere for sustain, resonance, and ...... lovely sound. That sound has body, depth, warmth... interacting with the movement of the heads and the natural resonance of the shell. That whole process creates sound, and that is what makes a drum a drum. Plus .... it gives volume to that sound. Without it....yer flat.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 02-24-2011 at 06:30 PM.

User Info Menu

just give it a try , put some tape or something over the vent and hit the drum , you'll be shocked the difference it makes .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Cool Re: The Purpose of a Vent

Or, if you play hand drums, try this:

Play your congas the usual way (either standing or sitting) while keeping some air space under them. They'll sound great, I guarantee it.

NOW put the drums flat on the floor (or worse yet, a carpeted floor) so there is absolutely no place for the soundwaves (and the air) to go. They'll sound muffled, flat, dull and lifeless, just like covering the vent as atomcorr2 suggested.

The sound has to go somewhere, right?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

uh-oh, i just ran my mic cables out of mine. oh well
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

haha I've done all this whacky experimental stuff with vents already, pretty much everytime I take apart my drums, I have to stop for a good 10 minutes to beat on my toms while they're on the carpet lol.
    And I guess the obvious that I was talking about was the whole preventing compression side of it.
    Now that I've seen all this I completely forgot why I wanted to ask about vents... o_O
    Maybe it's time to quit some things lol

User Info Menu

I thought they were there so the shells dont EXPLODE

User Info Menu

I hope this makes sense

Drums with two drumheads have an opening port on the side. When a drum is hit, the air inside that drum must be able to escape in order to allow the head and shell to resonate. Most drums have a single vent hole placed somewhere on the shell, usually in the center. Some makers use multiple venting holes, symmetrical venting lends the drum a more consistent rebound at various locations on the head. One maker places two diametrically opposed vent holes placed near the bottom edge, allowing the column of air to travel down and resonate the bottom head before exiting.

User Info Menu

Shoot.

All this time I thought it was to hold the badge on.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Don't want to side track too much, but is there any reason why vent holes are traditionally round? Just seems with the infinite number of shapes it could be, there is probably something that would create a better tone. For instance the F hole on a Violin or something? Perhaps a triangle or diamond so the as the air compresses down the drum, it has more space to vent out? Perhaps the opposite effect with an hourglass shape? Anyone ever study the effects of the shape of the vent hole on drums?

Tan

User Info Menu

^That's a cool thought

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SnareTan View Post
    Don't want to side track too much, but is there any reason why vent holes are traditionally round? Just seems with the infinite number of shapes it could be, there is probably something that would create a better tone. For instance the F hole on a Violin or something? Perhaps a triangle or diamond so the as the air compresses down the drum, it has more space to vent out? Perhaps the opposite effect with an hourglass shape? Anyone ever study the effects of the shape of the vent hole on drums?

Tan
    vent holes are round ,because drill bits are round ,, can you imagine how much a drum would cost if they had to pay someone to cut a square hole in each drum ? an f hole wouldnt work because too much of the wood would have to be cut away and the shell would be effected by the pressure from the rims .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    vent holes are round ,because drill bits are round ,, can you imagine how much a drum would cost if they had to pay someone to cut a square hole in each drum ? an f hole wouldnt work because too much of the wood would have to be cut away and the shell would be effected by the pressure from the rims .
    Well, Spaun makes these snare drums which have large amounts of wood cut away from them...

Except I would like vents in this shape:

- Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Well, Spaun makes these snare drums which have large amounts of wood cut away from them...

Yes, that is the drill bit normally used for door knobs. Still round, at least.

When you get that perfected, I'll take one, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

so will opeth's drummer.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I know the bass drum actually moves a lot of air.
    I was sitting about 4 feet away from my friend's kit when the band was practicing, and almost directly in line with the bass.
    On a REALLY cold night. Those guys were sweating, and I was freezing, every kick sending a cold breeze. I never knew that until that night.
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    so will opeth's drummer.
    Axe is endorsed by DW so I'm sure they would figure out a way to make vents like that if he asked haha
    Last edited by xweasel; 02-25-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: The Purpose of a Vent

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Shoot.

All this time I thought it was to hold the badge on.
    Bish good one, I thought the same thing until now. You learn something new on this site every day.

User Info Menu

I think the holes in that Spaun snare is abit overkill. You would think that this would affect the sound of the snare. This is only my opinion cause this is the first snare I've seen with such big air vents.

User Info Menu

I think that is exactly what they are trying to achieve,a different sound.I would like to compare that to a regular snare.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I think the holes in that Spaun snare is abit overkill. You would think that this would affect the sound of the snare. This is only my opinion cause this is the first snare I've seen with such big air vents.
    Orange County done the same thing too.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Apparently the bigger vents makes the snare much louder and drier. I haven't heard one for myself, though.
    - Zack

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    haha I've done all this whacky experimental stuff with vents already, pretty much everytime I take apart my drums, I have to stop for a good 10 minutes to beat on my toms while they're on the carpet lol.
    And I guess the obvious that I was talking about was the whole preventing compression side of it.
    Now that I've seen all this I completely forgot why I wanted to ask about vents... o_O
    Maybe it's time to quit some things lol
    Nuff said

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post

DW has a snare you can open and close vents, holes mouse door, what ever you want to call them. I like atomosphere alieveator

User Info Menu

Chad Sexton used to play an OCDP vented snare, he said it CRACKED! Like super loud. He also said if you were the one playing it you really couldn't tell, but if you were 20 feet away you could really tell the difference.
    Tama Superstar (grey pewter)
    Ludwig LM400 snare
    Wuhan China
    Paiste Rude Cymbals
    -14" sound edge hats
    -19" thin crash
    -17" thin crash
    -24" mega power ride
    -10" splash