Thread: Left handed drum set up

User Info Menu

Default Left handed drum set up

Just learing ..have some old drums and have the fast trak drum dvd to get me started ..Im very Left handed ..and Im trying to work out ..how to set my drums up for a left hander

ty

User Info Menu

Default Re: eft handed drum set up

Welcome to Drum Chat.

Most left handed drummers set up their kits opposite of right handed drummers. Others may use the right handed set up but play left handed. It's what ever works best for your comfort.

Here's an overhead diagram of a standard right handed setup that you can use to set up the kit and play around with it. Reversing everything would give you a basic left handed setup. Any variation of either setup is totally ok. There are no rules or guidelines you have to follow. It's totally your call how you do it.

I hope this helps you get started.

Another way to look at it would be to go to

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...eye-12263.html

and look at how others have set their kits up.

P.S. I fixed your title by adding in the "L".
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Left handed drum set up

Yeah, one well known left-handed drummer is Phil Collins. Check out how he sets up.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Two of my mates are lefty playing righty kits and both would say they wished they'd started out playing a lefty kit as playing open handed can restrict your ability to get around the kit with a leading left hand.
    At the end of the day you should try both and see what feels comfortable/natural.

All the best!
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

ask yohin some pic of he's set or look at youtube and serch for yohin there are some video there

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentdouble00soul View Post
    Just learing ..have some old drums and have the fast trak drum dvd to get me started ..Im very Left handed ..and Im trying to work out ..how to set my drums up for a left hander

ty
    howdy agent,I play lefty,i ride with my left and play the hats with my left,
    heres how im set up

User Info Menu

I agree, try both ways and then decide for yourself was is the most comfortable. I have a woman friend who is left handed and she wants me to teach her how to play. We started with the right hand as her kit is set up that way. We will try with left hand set up next to see if there is a difference in her playing. Mind you she has never played before in her life so we just started with the rudiments for now.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 02-25-2011 at 07:58 AM.

User Info Menu

This might sound stupid, but define what "playing left handed" means?

I say learn to play right handed and you'll be comfortable with weird stickings when they come up as your left hand will be naturally stronger. It will take longer to get proficient in the beginning, but once you do, in the long run, you can be much stronger.

Tan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BallywalterBeats View Post
    Two of my mates are lefty playing righty kits and both would say they wished they'd started out playing a lefty kit as playing open handed can restrict your ability to get around the kit with a leading left hand.
    At the end of the day you should try both and see what feels comfortable/natural.

All the best!

i think my problem was more that i am right footed and left handed, so i naturally wanted my bass pedal to be with my right foot- hence sitting at a righty kit and then my hands just fell naturally were they are. I dont find lefty setup as comfortable for some reason, theres just something i dont like about crossing my hands to get to the hihats :P
    there is the odd downside as BWB pointed out such as left hand lead so its hard to move around, but once you get to grips with that, its definately a very comfortable and benificial way to play
    Lefty on a righty setup all the way :P
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

ty guys ..this link was great too http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...eye-12263.html ...
    got my drums set up now will send pic soon ...
    just need to learn how to play em
    Cheers

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Left handed drum set up

Quote Originally Posted by SnareTan View Post
    This might sound stupid, but define what "playing left handed" means?

I say learn to play right handed and you'll be comfortable with weird stickings when they come up as your left hand will be naturally stronger. It will take longer to get proficient in the beginning, but once you do, in the long run, you can be much stronger.

Tan
    He's refering to the set up of the drum kits. Right hand is with the Hhats on your left when sitting so you hit with your right hand and Left handed is when they are on the right and you hit with left. Just the oposite of the set up like in the pictures above it is a right hand set up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    He's refering to the set up of the drum kits. Right hand is with the Hhats on your left when sitting so you hit with your right hand and Left handed is when they are on the right and you hit with left. Just the oposite of the set up like in the pictures above it is a right hand set up.
    Understood, but there are a ton of left handed people that play on right handed kits. And a lot of right handed people that don't cross their hands to play hihat. Who's to say what is right and what is left? Not to mention, a lot of people put rides on their left side (which I think is ingenious as it keeps your stickings roughly the same between ride and hat patterns). I guess typically the "handed" part of the set is based on which foot plays bass and which plays primarily hihat. So really, it's a left "footed" drumset more so than a left "handed" drumset.

Tan

User Info Menu

Understood, but there are a ton of left handed people that play on right handed kits. And a lot of right handed people that don't cross their hands to play hihat. Who's to say what is right and what is left? Not to mention, a lot of people put rides on their left side (which I think is ingenious as it keeps your stickings roughly the same between ride and hat patterns). I guess typically the "handed" part of the set is based on which foot plays bass and which plays primarily hihat. So really, it's a left "footed" drumset more so than a left "handed" drumset.

Tan

Very well put. Good shout an nice take on it
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

Tan
    I like that perspective, I think it's very accurate. I'm a righty and switched my kit to left-'footed' a while back to improve my L hand speed. My L foot took longer than my L hand to get comfortable. It's still a work in progress...