Default What drum kit do I have?

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I have a fusion or rock drum kit :S

I thought it was rock, but I measured it and I have

10" Tom
    12" Tom
    16" Tom
    22" Bass
    14" Snare

I'm trying to buy mutes but they don't seem to do them with a 10" and 16" tom :S

User Info Menu

Default Re: What drum kit do I have?

Jason, you have a bit of a hybrid kit there. A classic 5 piece fusion kit would have 10", 12", and 14" toms. I understand you problem, because I have an extra 16" floor tom on my fusion kit. Love that 16" tom though!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have the same dimensions on my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. They call it 'fusion.'

The 10" can be TRICKY to get lower tones out of and the 16" is super tough to tune correctly. Do you have the same problem?

User Info Menu

Do you think I should have been sent a 14" floor instead of 16"? :S

Quote Originally Posted by mayanrelic View Post
    I have the same dimensions on my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. They call it 'fusion.'

The 10" can be TRICKY to get lower tones out of and the 16" is super tough to tune correctly. Do you have the same problem?
    I don't really go for lower tones myself :P

User Info Menu

Oops, I misread. I have a 10/12/14/16.

That is an odd mix. What kit do you have?

User Info Menu

I have the same dimensions on my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit.
    Yep, the Catalina Maple kit is the same one I have. What finish do you have mayanrelic?

Oh, and if either of you have pics, make sure you post them on the "Show Us Your Drums" thread: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...-drums-26.html
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

A general rule of thumb is to base it on your rack toms.

If you have even numbered toms (i.e. 10", 12", 14") you have fusion.

If you have 12", 13" then that is considered standard. The floor tom isn't as relevant a determining factor as is the rack tom sizes.

According to on-line sales houses, at least.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yep, the Catalina Maple kit is the same one I have. What finish do you have mayanrelic?

Oh, and if either of you have pics, make sure you post them on the "Show Us Your Drums" thread: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...-drums-26.html
    I have the deep amber. It ALWAYS gets compliments. I don't have strong pics of it at the moment. Just from gigs with horrible lighting. I will post pictures soon. My resonant head is black/logo'd. I had to hastily cut an UGLY porthole a couple years back. I'll take some pictures when I get a new head on there.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know where I could get a mute set for my kit?

User Info Menu

Jason, I checked and M.F. has a set of drumset mutes by Sound Percussion that would handle your kit and any cymbals you have. They happen to sell the mutes to cover both a fusion kit, or a standard kit. You would only have a 13" mute left over.

User Info Menu

I have the deep amber. It ALWAYS gets compliments.
    Oh yeah! That is exactly the same finish I have, and you are right, the finish ALWAYS gets compliments.

User Info Menu

Some of my posts aren't showing up...it says they need to be moderated first? That's weird.

User Info Menu

That's just because you are new to the site. There is a spam filter on the software, so certain things will trigger it within your first 10-15 posts. I'll go see about your other posts right now.

OK, I think I got them all, but if there is still a problem, let me know.

User Info Menu

Jason, I checked and M.F. has a set of drumset mutes by Sound Percussion that would handle your kit and any cymbals you have. They happen to sell the mutes to cover both a fusion kit, or a standard kit. You would only have a 13" mute left over.
    I just bought this exact kit and for what it's worth, it works perfectly. I can play when the whole family is still in bed. They have truly extended my practice time x10.

Randy

User Info Menu

I like the new avatar Texdrumr!

User Info Menu

I like the new avatar Texdrumr!
    Why thank you. Me and my beautiful bride of almost 16 years. High-school sweethearts. She supports everything about me - amazing woman.

Randy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if I have a fusion or rock drum kit :S

I thought it was rock, but I measured it and I have

10" Tom
    12" Tom
    16" Tom
    22" Bass
    14" Snare

I'm trying to buy mutes but they don't seem to do them with a 10" and 16" tom :S
    That is actually more or less the new "standard" kit from Yamaha, Tama,etc.. however, as Bish stated, the even number sizes are still considered "fusion". There actually was a movement among several manufacturers such as Mapex to label your particular setup "SRO" or "Standing Room Only"... but it hasn't caught on.

Seriously.. the old labels of "standard" and "fusion" don't apply to squat anymore... if you have 10,12,14, toms that's still a "fusion" pack of heads... but 10.12,14,16 is now a "rock" ...but so is 12,14,16... and 8,10,12,14,16 is "progressive rock".

Kinda funny that a "standard" pack of heads is now the least standard of all.. with it's funky 13" tom tryin to be all that and stuff.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

+1 to Dave's post. They are selling 10/12/16 kits frequently now. For a long time it was fusion = 10/12/14, rock = 12/13/16, and there are still many kits with those sizes. but I think they found that a lot of people wanted the 10/12 toms but wanted more low end from a 16 FT. And they are now making packs of drum heads in the 3 major configs as well, at least Evans is.

Jason, I would get the Vic Firth set of mutes over the SP one's. We have both at home and the SP aren't nearly as sturdy in my experience. Especially the cymbal mutes. What I did when I had the 10/12/16 Yamaha Tour Custom kit was to get the 10/12/14/14 Fusion set of mutes and buy a solo 16 mute.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    +1 to Dave's post. They are selling 10/12/16 kits frequently now. For a long time it was fusion = 10/12/14, rock = 12/13/16, and there are still many kits with those sizes. but I think they found that a lot of people wanted the 10/12 toms but wanted more low end from a 16 FT. And they are now making packs of drum heads in the 3 major configs as well, at least Evans is.

Jason, I would get the Vic Firth set of mutes over the SP one's. We have both at home and the SP aren't nearly as sturdy in my experience. Especially the cymbal mutes. What I did when I had the 10/12/16 Yamaha Tour Custom kit was to get the 10/12/14/14 Fusion set of mutes and buy a solo 16 mute.
    Cheers guys, just did this in the old, bought the 10 12 14 and a 16 seperately