Thread: My Bands

User Info Menu

Default My Bands

I've played Guitar with Concord Lutheran Church's "Joyfull Noise Band" since it started over 10 years ago. That is up until about a year ago when our Drummer moved to Florida (being the second guitarist, and with my son already having a set at home, it made sense for me to switch). I would have loved to get my son to play, but he is currently working Sunday mornings to save money for college next year.

Well I retired a few years ago from the 98th Division Army Reserve Band, out of Rochester NY, I played Euphonium (Baritone Horn) in the concert and Marching bands, and over the years I've alternated between Piano, Guitar, and Trombone in the Stage band depending on what other musicians were in the band at the time, and what we needed most.

I'm playing bass with a group Called "One Light" for a monthly service led mostly by youth from our Local Cluster of Church's. All of the singers and most of the musicians are youth, but you know teenages everyone wants to play lead guitar, so I'm helping out on Bass until a youth steps up.

I've recently left the Penfield Pop's (where I played trombone, and still sub on occasion) to join (on trombone) the Greater Rochester Jazz Orchestra (AKA Band). Our drummer in that group is Drum Corp Hall of famer Bill McGrath. Bill was also a bandmate of mine in the 98th Division Band, I've been pumping him for drumming tips for a while now.

I'm also the band coordinator and Baritone Horn player for the Bayside Fireman's Band (there is no Bayside Fire Department, but we hire ourselves out to march for local fire departments, labor unions, etc.).

Right now it seems I've got too many irons in the fire, but it's hard to cut back when you really love getting out there and playing!!

User Info Menu

im kinda a beginer. but i play the drums for my church. its manly with my youth group thou. this summer are guitar player adam is going of to colleage and our other drummer ben is in colleage so yeah it kinda sucks. so its going to be me playing the drums and a few pple on the guitars. and then we have to think of a band name. we are thinking about "the crossover" cuz when u ask god into ur heart and all that good stuff you know u crossover. yeah ok im going to go now. lol bye

User Info Menu

Wow, Church Drummer. Amazing!

Hey, rockerchick. "Flock of Dead Turtles" is still available as a band name. Unbelievable, huh?

User Info Menu

Cool My Bands

Church Drummer, you've got the most incorrect member name of any of us! Guitar, drums, euphonium, piano, trombone, baritone horn--whoa, you're almost a one-man band right there!

Extremely versatile, man!

As anyone who's read any of my posts knows, I play bongos, congas, djembe, and most other hand percussion as well as set (still learning timbales so I can't include them just yet).

I play with our parish's guitar group (briefly known as "The God Squad" when it was first formed in 2002 but now called the Holy Family Guitar Ensemble). I have also played percussion with a folk duo called "Fydlstyx" (one half of whom co-hosted a talk show with me at the radio station where I work, WGNU); a pickup band at the radio station (bass, lead guitar and guess what?), called, not surprisingly, "The WGNU Garage Band" (which unraveled when my bandmates, all talk show hosts, went on to other careers!); a country group known as "The Casuals" (ironically, their set drummer dug playin' with a conga player, but his father--lead singer and guitarist--didn't like it, so that was short-lived); a two-guitar duo known as Acoustic Mayhem; and last but not least, guest appearances on percussion with the Stan Fornaszewski Band, an Illinois-based 18-piece big band.

(Now someone in the guitar group is after me to learn bass, so, I might catch up with Church Drummer in a few years !)

http://www.stanf.com
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Don't be too impressed I play a lot of instruments, but I consider myself a sideman on most of them. Nothing flashey or showy, I play each well enough to support others, but don't step out front very often.

User Info Menu

You dont need to tho do you? Serveing the song is important, not serveing the ego.

(butserveingtheegoismorefun)

User Info Menu

LOL sometimes it is, I agree, but if your doing church music serving the song is definately more important
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Sunday church service drum solo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Wow, Church Drummer. Amazing!

Hey, rockerchick. "Flock of Dead Turtles" is still available as a band name. Unbelievable, huh?
    haha "flock of dead turtles" thats kinda funny. srry thou if u like it lol

User Info Menu

Well, Church Drummer, that is impressive. I admire musicians like you. I's like when you meet a real sportsman. He'll do very well in any sport, his natural skills are great. That's you case musically speaking. You're gifted in music!

User Info Menu

Alaman thanks for the compliment, I can pick up instruments fairly easy. I attribute that to good training early on. Took a lot of piano lessons, at a very young age, which included a lot of music theory. I picked up the baritone horn, and then the Trombone in school. When I went in the Navy not many pianos around and portable keyboards were really expensive and not very portable so I learned guitar. When we needed a drummer, out of necessity I decided to learn drums, and I'm loving it!! I attribute it more to a love of music than to being gifted, but thanks anyway.