Thread: Usb Microphones?

User Info Menu

Default Usb Microphones?

Is it possible to make a decent cover using some USB Microphones? I'm thinking of buying 4 and Ill just connect them all to my laptop. Is it good? Or can anyone tell me a cheaper way to record.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Usb Microphones?

Whats your budget/What microphone set are you currently looking at?

AND

Will you be wanting to use it (the recordings) for personal use or distribution?

User Info Menu

Most usb mics are condensers, so you might not actually need a full set of 4. Generally they are used for pod casting, but i've heard of some guys using them in pairs for drumming. If you need to close mic, there is a usb adaptor for the shure sm57- might be worth looking into. A bit higher than i'd spend on usb mics though. Have you given any thought to using the mics that come with rock band? For low budget apps you really can't go wrong.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

or headphones
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Im thinking of making my own recordings for the mean time but I might make some covers with some friends. So I should buy 2 usb condensers for overhead? and rockband mics for the toms? Is it possible to buy the rockband mic only?

User Info Menu

Xbox 360 Guitar Hero USB mics are the best thing you can get on a budget. I tried it one day on a whim using my dad's laptop and Audacity and I was amazed by the quality. Another thing that works is a Flip Video camcorder. You can record yourself playing and then convert the video file(s) into an MP3 or other audio format using SUPERŪ converter. In my experience, the Flip has better audio quality, but it only works if you have one (obviously). If you don't have one and are on a budget, 360 GH mics are the way to go.

Here's a download link for SUPERŪ converter if you decide to use it. Their website is a real maze for some reason, so I figured I'd save you the time of scouring through their pages for it. Mods, sorry if this isn't allowed for whatever reason. I can't think of anything it falls under that wouldn't be allowed, but figured it's a good policy to say that anyway.

SUPERŪ download

/edit:
    Here's the original thread about recording with GH/RB mics. Jordison does a better job of explaining the setup and positioning than I could do

Save money when recording!
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 03-01-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for all the help! and thank you NoiseInMotion for showing me that thread!