Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263
Results 1,551 to 1,558 of 1558

Thread: Introduce Yourself!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hey Johnny Rotten. I just saw this post after I introduced my self yesterday. I too am from College Point - Flushing in Queens NY. I. older than you at 71!! I resurrected my playing after 50 Years [1969 - the year I graduated from Flushing HS]. I started to play in 1966-67, joining two other HS buddies who were into Guitars! I felt the beat in me, no Guitars. Took about 8-10 lessons from what I recall at the Record/ Music shop on Main Steet, just off Northern Blvd! I still have my Remo Practice Pad! and a pair of my old Oak Drumsticks with Nylon tips!. I shared my store on that post on how I got back into playing Drums in 2019. Retired now (May 2021) and play at home about 1 hour a day to My Music: CCR, Petty, Clapton, Mellencamp, Winwood, Stones, Beatles, Cars, Hollies, Talking Heads, Eagles, Dylan, Springsteen, Kinks, and more, including Linda Ronstadt & Bonnie Rait (they are really fabulous). Hope to chat some more about Drumming and Flushing (it ain't even Close to What it was).

User Info Menu

Slinky, Unfortunately, I really didn't see too many concerts. I was 18 when Woodstock came about. I did NOT go, but that was MY MUSIC for sure. If you know that story, Woodstock was posted on Banners in Forest Hills Queens as an upcoming Arts & Music Fair. Weall know what happened to that expected 45-50,000 people - exploding into 500,000! Regarding concerts that I saw in that ERA, I loved Ten Years After with Alvin Lee (first seen at Woodstock - the Movie). So I saw them 2X at the Fillmore East, Laura Nero (my wife's favorite - we were dating at the time) at the Fillmore East, Miles Davis, Jethro Tull there too. I'm located neaby the Capitol Theather in Port Chester NY. That was a major Venue for all artists/ Bands form Allman Bros. to ZZ TOP. I never there 1X while living in Queens and saw Hall & Oats there!

User Info Menu

Male or Female: Male
    Favorite Drummer: John Digulio ( Long Island Music Hall of famer)
    Drums : Pearl Forum with Zildjian A customs
    Are you in a band : I play monthly with my family
    Do you see dead people: Yes, I'm a full time cerified Hospice Nurse
    How did you find drum chat: I'm looking to upgrade my kit and needed advice on what to get so I googled it.

"You can put shoes on horse but you can't make him dance"

User Info Menu

Your Name
    Wallace

Male or Female?
    M

What type of Drums do you play?
    PDP Concept Maple 7

Who is your Favorite Drummer?
    Now that Neil is gone probably Gavin Harrison.

Are you in a band?
    Not currently

Do you see dead people?
    That's why I'm in therapy

How did you find Drum Chat?
    Search engine.

My first kit was a silver Maxwin 5 pc I got in1979. My second was a brown Vega 7 pc power tom model I got in 1984.
    I played for 15 years in various garage bands and a church worship team. The church had a Pearl Export set then we got a Roland TD7. That was fun.

I stopped playing in 96 and am just now getting back into playing again.

The changes in gear over the last 30 years is amazing. It'll be fun.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Forum.

Share, ask, contribute, it's all good.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Welcome Wallace! It's a friendly group here. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Welcome Wallace! It's a friendly group here. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile!
    Thanks. Glad to be here.

User Info Menu

Played in HS & college. Now 77 and started again. Doubt I'll ever get to play with other older guys, let alone play out. Still, it's fun. I'm practicing way more than I ever did as a kid. I'm even having fun practicing on a practice pad. Starting to play along with a limited number of songs. Spent a ton of time tuning and re-setting where everything sits till I got it pretty comfortable. Bought a Gretch Catalia Club snare and a Pearl tenor tom along with high hat (14" Meinl), crash (18" Meinl), and ride (20" Zildjian I). Bought parts and made the floor tom and bass. Have chain for sizzle on all the cymbals and have moved from sticks to Vic Firth Steve Gadd wire brushes with the tip upturned. They are a bit short so I pulled the handle all the way out and put a tiny O-ring on the wires to adjust the width down to just over an inch. Going to try Flix Jazz XL brushes for the length. They come Thursday & I hope I can get decent sound out of them. Play soft jazz, pop, some country, no metal, hard rock, grunge. Just simple grooves, simple fills, and no solo.