Thread: getting rolls down.....

User Info Menu

Default getting rolls down.....

Ok so ive learned the bounce technique and can do it with both hands but now trying to get a steady roll going my brain just poops out as soon as i hit the first stick. it like i completely forget howto move my left hand to also bounce on the pad following my right. is this normal? i keep trying to get both hands to move one after the other but it seems near impossible

User Info Menu

Default Re: getting rolls down.....

luckypunk, back to basics here...RRLLRRLL..etc start slow and speed it up when comfortable..it takes a long time my friend..I sometimes find myself with sloppy rolls
    til I get warmed up..and don't worry we ALL go thru this.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I think I know what you mean, I Suffer from the same problem :( I can double stroke well with both arms but in application in a double stroke roll I loose it completely. I think its down to confidence, are you right handed?

User Info Menu

yah im right handed.

User Info Menu

Yeah then, I think we both suffer from the same problem. It is all down to confidence in the hand you do not use as much. I think, with anything start slowly and build up, at the moment I'm doing it very slowly, irritatingly slowly. And I'll build up slowly until my left hand doesn't give up.

Slow and steady, but pace yourself and build confidence, thats the way.

Do triplets LRL LRL those are good for left hand confidence.

User Info Menu

I agree with you all.

User Info Menu

See, I'm new and I'm being agreed with

User Info Menu

S L O W IT D O W N.

Are you practising on a pad or snare?
    If its a snare, take the throw off and listen to the hits, slow slow build slow, its muscley muscle memory bud. Also concentrate on the placement of your hits, try drawing a small area on the skin and keep ya hits within that area as ya build speed slowly. There aint no rushing this stuff.
    good luck bud.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    S L O W IT D O W N.

Are you practising on a pad or snare?
    If its a snare, take the throw off and listen to the hits, slow slow build slow, its muscley muscle memory bud. Also concentrate on the placement of your hits, try drawing a small area on the skin and keep ya hits within that area as ya build speed slowly. There aint no rushing this stuff.
    good luck bud.
    Yep, it's almost mantra for drummers. Whenever I start to get frustrated with something, I remember the mantra - s l o w i t d o w n.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yep, it's almost mantra for drummers. Whenever I start to get frustrated with something, I remember the mantra - s l o w i t d o w n.
    Very true PB, Its also very important to look and listen closely to your techinque, If you pay attention you can see when sloppy starts to happen, when it does just back off a bit and reset. Its a slow progression but so so worth it.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    very true pb, its also very important to look and listen closely to your techinque, if you pay attention you can see when sloppy starts to happen, when it does just back off a bit and reset. Its a slow progression but so so worth it.
    +1

User Info Menu

I practice rolls on a pillow. You are forced to play the rolls, instead of bouncing them. It helps develop the muscles involved with the action. And yeah, start slow, and then speed up. Then you can move to a pad, and ultimately the drums. I will say, double strokes around the whole drumset can be kinda weird, cause each drum will probably feel/bounce differently than the last. Just takes a bit of patience.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luckypunk View Post
    Ok so ive learned the bounce technique and can do it with both hands but now trying to get a steady roll going my brain just poops out as soon as i hit the first stick. it like i completely forget howto move my left hand to also bounce on the pad following my right. is this normal? i keep trying to get both hands to move one after the other but it seems near impossible
    Dude, i practice my rudiments and rolls like i'm a friggin' zombie... Just zone out and just let your hands do the work.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Dude,... Just zone out and just let your hands do the work.
    Fine advice from everyone so far, but Jordison515 has brought up something that's often forgotten. Alot of young drummers, or musicians, often over think what they are doing. Thinking can get in the way of doing. Zoning out can work, or if you want to think it through, don't think about how your chops sounded yesterday, think about how you want to sound tomorrow. Be postive and play with confidence. It's an attitude that can and will carry you a long way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
    Fine advice from everyone so far, but Jordison515 has brought up something that's often forgotten. Alot of young drummers, or musicians, often over think what they are doing. Thinking can get in the way of doing. Zoning out can work, or if you want to think it through, don't think about how your chops sounded yesterday, think about how you want to sound tomorrow. Be postive and play with confidence. It's an attitude that can and will carry you a long way.
    This, is my biggest problem. I can't get over all the wrong notes I play. I get frustrated. Truly, I am my worst enemy.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    This, is my biggest problem. I can't get over all the wrong notes I play. I get frustrated. Truly, I am my worst enemy.
    No worries for you here. Just don't let this effect in any way except to motivate you. Coming to realize that you can be your own worst enemy is one of the first learning hurdles almost every drummer has to overcome so you have a lot of company with this one. A good tool for this is the use of a mirror. It's not a vanity thing. They're used by a lot of drummers along with boxers, dancers and many others also. Bellson, Bonham and Gavin Harrison to name a few use or used them. Drummers talk a lot about muscle memory and to a lesser extent auditory memory, but visual memory is another tool to use. It can help with controlling tension, stress, stick control by watching consistency in stick height, patterns of fluid motions which is often the problem with playing the wrong notes.

Of course nothing is beats a good teacher, but I understand that's not always possible. Again though, if you understand yourself and your drumming as you do, you've overcome alot. Really it is encouraging to here you say this about yourself. It will serve you better then many of the traps some fall into like, "if I only had this or that the problems would be solved." An excuse to avoid looking inside for solutions.
    Last edited by Riverr1; 03-04-2011 at 07:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
    A good tool for this is the use of a mirror. It's not a vanity thing. They're used by a lot of drummers along with boxers, dancers and many others also. Bellson, Bonham and Gavin Harrison to name a few use or used them. Drummers talk a lot about muscle memory and to a lesser extent auditory memory, but visual memory is another tool to use. It can help with controlling tension, stress, stick control by watching consistency in stick height, patterns of fluid motions which is often the problem with playing the wrong notes.
    Yep, I have a old spare full length mirror that I use to not only check stick heights but also set to the side of the kit, I use to check my posture every now and then. Plus I encourage students to do this too. Definitely not a vanity thing.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    . Definitely not a vanity thing.
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure lol

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I have pretty much stopped playing altogether because of my frustration actually. That, and I am way too tired after work to do anything.

User Info Menu

I have pretty much stopped playing altogether because of my frustration actually. That, and I am way too tired after work to do anything.
    Wow, sorry to read this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luckypunk View Post
    Rudiments help so much. Slowing it down and then speeding it up has helped me too.

Kaz, everyone has those days. Sometimes when you are tired the best thing to do is to take a break. Hope this is temporary for you. Don't let it stop you! I've been feeling a bit down lately too (too much on my mind) and haven't played much either but I try to think about how far I've come along and it helps me when I get those down days. And it's o.k. because I tell myself I may take a break but I'm not quitting.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

I haven't quit. I just have stopped. Drums were such a part of my life at one point, that for now, it's enough just to have them setup in the room. Even if I don't touch them. It satisfies me.