Thread: Ankle weights for BD speed???

User Info Menu

Default Ankle weights for BD speed???

Hey guys, does anyone do this? I have never heard of it but was thinking of trying it and just want to be sure that it is somewhat common. This is from an instructor who sells teaching dvd's.. I have been playing for 5yrs now and have never heard of this?

"Using ankle weights to help develop your kick drum speed is a trick that very few drummers actually take the time to do. I’m not sure exactly why it isn’t talked about more in drum forums and communities, but using ankle weights has proven to be a very effective bass drumming training tool. Within just a couple weeks of using ankle weights you will notice a huge difference in your drumming abilities. Not only will you notice that you can play faster, but you will also have a much greater endurance. Practicing with ankle weights is a great way to start training up for a long summer tour, or just for building your drumming stamina overall."

Any thoughts?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ankle weights for BD speed???

I guess it would work. It's like using heavier sticks for practice to build up wrist speed and then using lighter sticks during gigs and stuff to show off that speed.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    I guess it would work. It's like using heavier sticks for practice to build up wrist speed and then using lighter sticks during gigs and stuff to show off that speed.
    That's a good point.

I have never heard of it myself. I am now curious about the subject as well.
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Ive never done it,but Im sure it would help.Noiseinmotion voiced my sentiments on the sticks,which helps me too.I would just go easy and dont over do it.Tendon strains and bruises are a real setback.Start out for a short period and work your way up every other time or so.Tell me if you get a charlie horse,lol!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

never heard of it? really? check out gene hoglan, first thing he mentions, not whatever pedal he uses, which are low line.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Go running sometime. Good for your heart and your feet
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Two words: Gene Hoglan. He certainly has speed and endurance. He ALWAYS practices with ankle weights on top of his Doc Martens.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    never heard of it? really? check out gene hoglan, first thing he mentions, not whatever pedal he uses, which are low line.
    Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Two words: Gene Hoglan. He certainly has speed and endurance. He ALWAYS practices with ankle weights on top of his Doc Martens.
    +1 - Yep Gene Hoglan 'The Atomic Clock' swears by them, and his BD speed/endurance is pretty amazing.

I sometimes practice in heavy boots and I rehearse/gig with my band in just socks, it does help but it's not quite the same thing... I think the weights are a good idea.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

very cool topic. I'm going to get some heavier sticks and ankle weights now! I don't know why I hadn't thought about this before. definitely makes sense though.

User Info Menu

I heard that riding a bike helps with that sort of thing. I am getting a new bike soon, for such training, but my wife & I are always walking our dogs a lot anyway, weather in northern Michigan permitting.

User Info Menu

where I live, we have a good challenging uphill hike. it's a 1.25mile hike that elevates 1200sq ft over that distance, and the ground is very uneven. constant rocks and roots you are walking on. that forces your ankle, calf, and feet to twist and work in different directions. I'd think anything like that would help substantially.

User Info Menu

When you start playing faster, you don't play with your entire leg but rather with a more isolated ankle motion. Ankle weights will have no effect on that motion, and are therefore useless in that department. They will develop your upper legs, which will help, but any sort of playing does that any way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    When you start playing faster, you don't play with your entire leg but rather with a more isolated ankle motion. Ankle weights will have no effect on that motion, and are therefore useless in that department. They will develop your upper legs, which will help, but any sort of playing does that any way.
    To add to this...making ankle weights a part of your improvement program makes sense but to rely on them as the be all/end all would be a mistake. Heel-down work, rudiments with your feet as well as using the weights should do the trick for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I was thinking letting the weight hang low against the foot would create a resistance when the foot is coming up/down.

maybe drummers need to invent a toe weight in the shoe lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    This, he even demonstrates it in his DVD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Go running sometime. Good for your heart and your feet
    not for your knees or ankles.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    not for your knees or ankles.
    That's actually not true, running helps build up muscles around your knees and ankles and helps them stay loose. Kind of like stretching but it's also building muscles at the same time.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

haha Dude, he was joking.

Honestly, I've never heard of doing this... Once I find something to use as ankle weights, I'll try and practice with those..

Does it work with people BDing heal up?
    Last edited by concrete Building; 03-12-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Freakin d Dell d Glitches ddddd
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

i remember reading that a while back and tried it... made my upper thighs work more.. but what i found was that to play faster i had to learn a new movement pattern.. which involves isolating the muscles that control the ankle.. the faster you go the less hip and knee is involved and the more your calves and shin muscles are isolated.. as if your playing heel down, but, your heels are up.. does that make sense?

i would recommend George Kolias for any technical info on double bass speed... or any speed for that matter.. check into him..

User Info Menu

I would like to be able to play just a hair faster heel down, as i think it's more comfortable and groovier feeling. I'm still wanting to experiment with with weights on my toes to increase just a bit... like 10bpm and i'd be happy.