Thread: Acoustic Recording to MIDI?

User Info Menu

Default Acoustic Recording to MIDI?

Hey, I'm not sure if this is possible but..

Does anyone know of a way I can record me playing, then use some software to try and convert my audio to a midi that I could edit?

I want to make some covers, but recording plain acoustic drums and overlapping audio doesn't sound that good, if I mute the main audio and sync the MIDI I'm thinking it may sound better

Hope I've been clear enough

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acoustic Recording to MIDI?

Jason, I'm going to leave this for someone with a lot more recording experience than i have. I'll just say welcome to Drum Chat! Someone will be along soon that can help you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Jason, I'm going to leave this for someone with a lot more recording experience than i have. I'll just say welcome to Drum Chat! Someone will be along soon that can help you.
    Thank you, I'm just wondering if I should have maybe posted this in the recording forum instead? :S

User Info Menu

I hadn't really noticed which forum it was in. I suppose it could be in either one. I can move it if you want it there.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I hadn't really noticed which forum it was in. I suppose it could be in either one. I can move it if you want it there.
    Yes, can it be moved?

User Info Menu

With a bit of slight of hand, 'tis a done deal Jason.

User Info Menu

Midi does not record analog sound like a tape recorder. it contains the musical note you play, start/stop times, volume, stuff like that. So i don't think this is what you're looking for. You would 1st need electronic drums, or triggers on your acoustics, as well as a sound module....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Midi does not record analog sound like a tape recorder. it contains the musical note you play, start/stop times, volume, stuff like that. So i don't think this is what you're looking for. You would 1st need electronic drums, or triggers on your acoustics, as well as a sound module....
    Talking more over the lines of mp3 to midi conversion, but drum based

I know I've seen them, but that was years ago, just wondering if there was any new software around now a days