Thread: Isla Percussions--ever heard (or heard of) these drums?

User Info Menu

Cool Isla Percussions--ever heard (or heard of) these drums?

Any of our bongo brothers ever see (or play) bongos and congas made by Isla Percussions? This West Coast firm claims their drums are "made by musicians for musicians"--and from what I've seen on their website (and heard on at least one video on You Tube)--they're darned expensive but probably worth the cost...

kinda funny since I just gave Candlelight Chaos some advice on mid-priced congas! Of course if we could afford it, we'd ALL have the TOL drum sets or percussion sets in our music rooms--but we can dream, right?

and here's the video that caught my eye (and ears!): [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du_Eb0Arh2o"]YouTube - Isla Percussions rumba #2[/ame]
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Isla Percussions--ever heard (or heard of) these drums?

Mario at Isla makes fine Cuban based congas. The shells are made with carved staves out of Ziricote or Mahogony. The hardware is Stainless Steel and tight Aluminum bands. Great tone, great skins and nice looking. Not perfect looking but it is all about the sound at Isla.

I have a friend with the Mahogony Conga Tumba set and I am waiting on a Ziricote 9" Super Requinto.