Thread: Triggers

User Info Menu

Default Triggers

Hey all,

I've been trying to find out about triggers lately, and what I need for a good set-up.

All I've figured out so far is that I need a module, a trigger pad. But I have no idea how it's connected or works.

Can anyone give me a run down on how triggers work, and how to set them up? Also, why do people consider triggers cheating?

tl;dr - Need a complete rundown of triggers.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Ok, from what I can figure out you get the tigger sensor/pad, connect it to some sort of electronic drum kit module/midi unit etc... which then connects to the PA system. Not sure how helpful that info is - you'd need to go to a music store and look at equipment for more info on specific equipment, but essentially. They can be home made, there is a video on youtubve appaently of a guy using a guitar pickup as a drum trigger, because they are essentially the same thing.

There is another one where a guy takes that idea a little differently, and uses triggers to make a drum kit out of an apple, a carrot and a wallet.

The reason they are considered cheating by alot of drummers is because it doesn't matter how hard you hit, it will sound the same out of the PA. It's essentially to make sure the sound is always the same, because the sound is actually artificial. So, when playing fast, drummers will barely tap the kick/drum/snare, instead of needing any real power, and it will sound just fine. They can also be setup if you wanna really cheat to play two sounds, so 1 hit on the kick, will play a double hit through the system - this is cheating to the maximum degree though.

Head over to the ddrum wesite for an example of a top level setup, or Roland here http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/default.aspx?prdgrp=24. The link to the ddrums website is useless, as it just takes you to their frontpage anyway, which you could figure out on your own.

I hope any of that was helpful
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

you didn't just spend all that cash on some sweet sounding sessions so you can trigger em up did ya?

User Info Menu

I don't plan on triggering all the drums... Just looking at doing it for the bass drums. One of my band's guitarists is pretty set on me getting some triggers.

It's not the highest thing on my priority list now though.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Dude.......DO NOT TRIGGER YOUR KICK DRUM!!!!!! If I remember correctly, you play a lot of metal, right? So, I would also assume that you use a lot of double-kick........I have yet to come across a trigger that can keep up with my feet. If you are doing a lot of quick 4, 5, or 6-stroke double kick fills, you might lose some of them. A Shure SM 52 Beta is your friend.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Oh wait....you have 2 kick drums now, I forgot. Duh me.

Anyway, that might be OK. I had a soundman use a trigger on my kick drum once...and I mean ONCE....but, I use a double pedal on a single kick drum, and the trigger couldn't keep up with me. But I think you might be OK triggering 2 kicks.

Or, you can tell your guitarist to go @$&%.....do you tell him what strings to use? What amp to play through? I vote for telling him to go sod a goat.

Last edited by BigTallG; 05-14-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Or, you can tell your guitarist to go @$&%.....do you tell him what strings to use? What amp to play through? I vote for telling him to go sod a goat.

Totally.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?