Well the title says it all. I have a few ones to share.

1) In the 80's I performed with a College Steel Band; we played at all levels of Schools, Parades and even Nursing homes. Well we were a hit with allof these audiences people from 0 - 100 year of age were fans. One show stands out that was at a grade school assembly over 400 kids dancin' it was up for grabs. Previously I played in a Punk Band (very narrow audience) and this experience with the Steel Band convinced me that percussion was a great opportunity.

2) Also during College I was the Dude with the Hippie drum circles due to the Steel Band. Played at Grateful Dead shows (once camped out for a week selling Brown Rice), camp grounds and at the park. (This time is a bit of a blur but it was great.)

3) The Chicago Lakefront is a laid back scene where folks come out and play and share good vibes. This is where I meet a group of street players that I stuck with for 9 years. I started out playing Marimba with conga and bongo players.

4) I remember a gig at "Hoghead McDunna's" and we were wrapping up a set. A member of the audience gave us a $100 tip for one more song.

5) While I was an apprentice electrician, I got a street performer's licence. I would play Marimba with 2 conga players in the Subway when I was laid off between jobs. This would be an all day thing around 5 hours! Below the Sears Tower we would make between $300 to $680 a day. Never do this alone makin' this type of dough on the street or you will get robbed.

6) One street fest we played after a Blues Band. Well the crowd was dead for a Chicago street fest, we started playing and the street went wild! We had 7 percussionists, 4 on Congas, 1 on Bongos, 1(Cowbell, Vocals, Sax and Flute) and me (Marimba, Steel Drum, Surdo and other stuff). The band was made up of folks who were Jewish, Cuban, Peurto Rican, Italian, African and Irish American backgrounds and ranged from 22 - 58 years old. We immediately connected with the audience and the street was JAMMED with at least 800 or more people for over 2 blocks! When the set ended, the people scattered before the next act. It was cool but also kinda weird too.

So many great times and more to be had. Please share your experiences here.

Regards,

Jerry Bembe