Thread: I bought a Djembe!

User Info Menu

Default I bought a Djembe!

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...175/dj_kt.html

That one, 14" Earth finish.

Now I can finally use hand drums away from school. So can some one please tell me how to play this thing right. I know how to get a bass shot from the middle, something higher from the edges, and like a rim-shot. But I wanna know it all, so give me the low down!
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

lookin good! accept i cant help ya on the playing part

User Info Menu

Way to go Daemon! You'll be pulling off some crazy beats in no time!

Check this website out:

http://www.alternativeculture.com/music/rhythm.htm

There's lots of good stuff on there. If you have any specific questions, just let us know. We're here to help. If you can get in on any drum circles, do it. It is the best way to learn how to play.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Looks like fun dude!

User Info Menu

Cool I bought a Djembe!

Congrats, Daemon! Glad to see 1DB and I have at least another djembe dude to jam with!

Tell ya what, why don't you get some experience under your belt and write us a review down the road? (Look at my review on the Toca vs. LP Aspire if you need some assistance.)

1DB gave you some great advice to start with--feel free to ask him or me if you need other ideas...

and you're gonna love hand drummin', bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hand drums can be a nice change from the kit. I play an ashiko occasionally. It goes great with acoustic guitar too!

User Info Menu

I would love to get some hand percussioon but i have too many other things i want to buy.

User Info Menu

Cool I bought a Djembe

Quote Originally Posted by LightGrenades
    Hand drums can be a nice change from the kit. I play an ashiko occasionally. It goes great with acoustic guitar too!
    That's what I like about hand percussion, LightGrenades. Don't misunderstand--I have a great respect for the dudes and ladies who play set (and I play set, too), but hand drumming has always felt more primitive and more tribal than playin' a set...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Wow, I can do the rhythms and stuff, not to hard, but OW! After about 30 minutes I swear my hands are going to bleed!

User Info Menu

Cool I bought a Djembe!

Daemon...I'm glad to see you're gett'n into the djembe, but take your time...I don't know how much hand drumming you've done before now, but if you're a newbie, it's gonna hurt for a while until you get your calluses built up.

Don't jump into it all at once, dude! Back off on the practice time a bit until you're more comfortable with it. If 30 minutes hurts ya, cut back to 15 per session and build it up gradually...kinda like exercise...

keep up the good work, bro'!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Cool I bought a Djembe!

Another suggestion, Daemon...when playin' a rimshot, hit with the fingertips--not with the bone or joints...hitt'n a rimshot in the wrong place hurts big time, bro'!

Charlie

User Info Menu

haha yeah the joints on my fingers tend to get awfully red. I'll remember that tip lol. I'm playing djembe on two songs this Sunday. When we used to play songs like this I barely got to play because the kit just couldnt fit well, now I get to really enjoy myself playing the djembe.

User Info Menu

I got a dvd on the worlds best or number 2 or 3 djembe player. Teaches you and i did a workshop with him Really really good. Maybe if you give me an address i could burn it and send it to you?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool I bought a Djembe!

Hey, stevo, is there a way you can post a link to that? Might be easier to download if it's available on the 'net...

Otherwise, just send me a private message...

thanks, bro'...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Yeah i think a download would be nicer lol, but thanks for the offer.

User Info Menu

I dont think he would be online. He comes from papua new guinea...... Lives in melb
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Re: I bought a Djembe!

Ah man! I traded my djembe in to help fund my wifes kit, I REALLY MISS IT! I hope to get another sometime soon!
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals
    In the service of The King!

User Info Menu

Daemon , congats on the new toy , looks good .

User Info Menu

---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb