Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music Store Rant

User Info Menu

Default Re: Music Store Rant

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    One more note: As passionate as we can become, diplomacy is still the word of the day. Words like "you're wrong" never solved any debate. They're provocative words and they do nothing but anger people. Rather a phase like, "I see you're point but..." goes a lot further to promote civility. This isn't just me talking. Read any book on how to have a successful relationship whether it be in a marriage, in business, in politics or even in a forum.

I don't mean to teach a class here but please know that if you don't follow the rules of diplomacy in here, you probably won't last very long in this forum.
    You get more flies with honey than vinegar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I know everybody at my local GC, to a point where I'm Facebook friends with some of them. The only guy I have a problem with is the manager. The one time I was dumb enough to buy those metal sticks, which I think I just established that I don't like, they broke. I go in, and he tells me that they have to be taken up with the dealer and with a letter, I have have to wait ten days, then his dog has to sign it and then maybe he'll consider giving me half my money back.

Needless to say, my GC buds backed me up and by the time it was all said and done I walked out with a free pair of my now favorite Pro Marks and they refunded me 30 bucks on the spot, letting me keep the broken metal sticks to add to my broken stick collection. (I really haven't shown you guys this, which is surprising. One day...) I still don't like the manager. But all my new friends that work there are perfect. Honest enough to refer me to the Drum Pad or Maxwell's when they don't have something or know where a cheaper one is. Then both the owners of those other two shops know me by name, and so I guess all in all I'm pretty set up here in Chicago. When somebody at any of those shops sees something I'd like anywhere in Chicago, I know pretty fast. It's lovely.
    You gig around Chicago/Suburbs regularly? Would like to come hear ya play if you do - I'm in Joliet. Let me know

User Info Menu

The only "bad" experience I've had is when i went to my local music store summer haze music, to buy a pair of sticks... and they were like 15$. Anyway i do most of my shopping online and end up saving quite a bit more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    One more note: As passionate as we can become, diplomacy is still the word of the day. Words like "you're wrong" never solved any debate. They're provocative words and they do nothing but anger people. Rather a phase like, "I see you're point but..." goes a lot further to promote civility. This isn't just me talking. Read any book on how to have a successful relationship whether it be in a marriage, in business, in politics or even in a forum. Diplomacy is at the foundation.

I don't mean to teach a class here but we've noticed that those that don't follow the rules of diplomacy in here, usually don't last very long in this forum.
    +1

who want pizza

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZildjianKid234 View Post
    So i went in to the only music store withing half an hour of me, located at a mall. I went in to get a couple pairs of sticks and just browse around and expand my every-growing wishlist. I started to tap lightly on some of the cymbals, at which point the clerk walks over and asks me not to play them because they could be damaged. Really? tapping a floor model cymbal with a stick miraculously damages them now? isnt that the point of floor models anyway?

then i walk to the ekits and started trying one out, i guess i was getting a little into it, but by all means not pounding them. Same guy walks over, taps me on the shoulder, and asks me to stop playing them. ok? now im getting frustrated. I very much wish i could of left that store without making a purchase, but i really needed sticks. They didnt deserve my buisness. Maybe its the fact that im a teen and they think im just messing around, or maybe the guy was just a jerk, but either way i dont think its appropriate

Anyone else ever have a bad experience with a music store?
    My advice would be to find a drum shop and not use the local music store at the mall. However, even in the finest 5 star drum shops just sitting behind and E-kit and playing is usually frowned upon. Most shops like you to ask before you play them. As far as the Cymbals go, that should not have been a problem.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Music Store Rant

I, too, have seen it from both sides of the drum kit. My long-time drum teacher--and, full disclosure here, my closest drumming buddy this side of DrumChat--is the owner of a small but fairly popular drum shop in the area where I live, and while he encourages you to try out a kit, he obviously discourages kids who crash, bash and thrash on instruments with little if any adult supervision. And, if you're familiar with retail, you no doubt know of "shrinkage" -- losses due to damage, scratching and...unfortunately...theft.

If you're a younger drummer (or wannabe drummer), it never hurts to treat the store owner or salesman with respect. Treat the instruments the same way.

If they tell you it's cool, go for it...I got to know the drum manager at a GC near my neighborhood well enough that he encouraged me to apply for a post as a percussion salesman, because he had heard me playing on their congas and bongos. I didn't get the position--and he finally left the store for another position--but it proves you can get noticed in a positive way!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon2000 View Post
    You gig around Chicago/Suburbs regularly? Would like to come hear ya play if you do - I'm in Joliet. Let me know
    Wow, we're pretty close. I'm in Naperville! Yes, my friends and I go around playing this weird mix-up of about 1/4 Christian music and 3/4 common music that you would hear any band play. We thought it was a bit different and gave it a try, works out fine, and a surprising amount of people totally dig it. I'll PM you next chance I get for a good one.

Anyways, Drummer, I feel like some of that was for me to hear, so I should apologize. I know at least once I let my anger in the moment get a hold of me when I should have just logged off and played the greatest stress reliever ever, drums. For the most part, I'm speaking based on what I've experienced at the three primary shops I visit, who usually don't mind as long as their not on the phone or with a customer. I have the common courtesy to stop when I see or hear this, so there's never a conflict. In summary, I don't think ZK did anything wrong.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I would like to go into a music store where the staff will put the darn sticks down themselves, long enough to pay attention to you!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I haven't really had too many bad experiences.

I'm actually FaceBook friends with a few guys from the Guitar Center I go to, and I bought a Holy China because one called me up, said they got ONE in stock, and they were willing to hold onto it until I could come over. Usually they can only reserve product for 24 hours, but they gave me four days!

User Info Menu

I got kicked out of a record store once. The old used vinyl kind when I was 17. I wanted to throw a rock through the guys store window.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

its lame how some of these retailers act. most places I've gone encourage people to ry out the floor models...if you can't touch it what's the point of opening it up in the first place? anyway, i've found a few places near me that look at me funny if i don't try stuff out while i'm browsing. I tend to stay loyal to those places.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    Anyways, Drummer, I feel like some of that was for me to hear, so I should apologize. ........ In summary, I don't think ZK did anything wrong.
    It wasn't aimed at ZK or you. I have a tendency to just throw things out there rather than single anyone out in here. Maybe not always the best approach (as it makes some paranoid) but the message is (for everyone) that when you debate something, you need to do so respectfully.

User Info Menu

I do most my shopping online. The people working at shops are a lot of times a tad lacking shall we say. Like mentioned previously, they are getting less professional about it- not knowing enough about what the goods they are wanting to move, following me around or just standing at the register playing on their phone. I guess I don't mind that so much, but I want to feel like this guy has a genuine love of what he does, it makes me feel that much better about doing business with him and the company he works for. What's up with not letting people try what they're buying? I can't get a preview of what i'm about to invest my hard saved money in? Gimme a break mate! I'm sure you don't want to hear that after waiting in traffic on a hot day for awhile after a long day of work, using the only time you have to go shop for necessary gear upgrades for your next gig that you need to be ready for. I got a saying, "if I don't hear it, I won't go near it". If you don't want my money, I don't wanna give it to you.
    Last edited by Russ; 04-02-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Regarding the OP: some stores just don't go for people messing with the gear unless they have given some kind of permission first. Perhaps you thought the guy was rude, but sometimes that's the breaks. I just don't take things like that personally.

It also may be unfair to GC that I test out a DW kit there and then buy it from somewhere else, but GC gets my business in many other ways, so it all comes out in the wash (case in point, guess where my drum rack and recording equipment came from?).

It would take something mondo serious to keep me away from a store forever. You never know when they are going to be the only ones in town who have something you might need right away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup is a Vegetable View Post
    Regarding the OP: some stores just don't go for people messing with the gear unless they have given some kind of permission first. Perhaps you thought the guy was rude, but sometimes that's the breaks. I just don't take things like that personally.
    You have a good point, but would you buy a car without a test drive?