Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices - the lowest you remember

User Info Menu

Default Gas prices - the lowest you remember

With the discussions going on in the General Drum topic above I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyones experiences have been with gas prices.

I'm curious to know what was the price of gas when you first started driving?

For me when I started driving gas was around .32 per gallon. I used to bum "spare change" from my school friends to get around since at 16 years of age I didn't really have a job yet. I think it only cost about $3 to fill up my Ford Pinto...ok, I admit it....I had one. Baddest little 2000cc 4 speed in town, I might add. LOL

Along with that for all you smokers ( I don't anymore for the record ) a pack of cigarettes was .35 a pack, IIRC.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gas prices - the lowest you remember

.97 cents when I started driving in the late 90's.

User Info Menu

Bish you got a coupla years on me, when I started driving it was .45 per gallon. But I remember seeing mom and dad paying .25 per gallon.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: Gas prices - the lowest you remember

I remember way lower prices,but back in the late 70`s when I first stated driving it was .59 cents a gallon for regular gas.A first class postage stamp was .13,a gallon of milk was 1.50,a dozen eggs were .84 cents,the average annual income was $13,000.00 and the national debt was 629 billion.

I remember when I first learned to ride a bicycle,(mid sixties,maybe$0.33/gal seems to me I remember it being at least $0.25/gal.),I used to pretend it was a motorcycle and I would pull up to the porch to "fill er up." Dad asked me what the price of gas was and I said "a dollar a gallon." He said,"Holy smokes!I hope it never gets that high!" - I have concluded that Global Warming is our forefathers spinning in their graves!

Can we still say,"these are the good old days?" No work = no play,I think its been about 20 years since I have been on a real vacation and went somewhere.Im lucky to have a job but I feel like the black woman in the laundry mat talking to the woman next to her as her wide-eyed kids tumble around in the dryer.She says,"What chew lookin at lady?I got no money for no Disneyland!"
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 03-15-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Wow, going back in time... when I got my first car, ('68 Mustang w/289 hi-po, 3 speed) gas was .18 cents a gal.

User Info Menu

Just under $1.00 for me. Those were the days.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Lowest I remember is in the 90 cent(US) range. When I started driving, it was around $3 range.

User Info Menu

I can't remember. Gosh, I'm old!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I can't remember. Gosh, I'm old!
    Isn't that what is referred to as...

Fossil fuel?

Ducking....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Between $1 and $1.10 in 2000.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

$0.25/L
    I sold my camaro when it went up to $0.30/L because i thought there was no way I could afford to put gas in that car at those prices lol.

User Info Menu

£0.40/l

User Info Menu

I remember when Sunoco 360, which was THE absolute best high octane leaded fuel, was an astonishing 75 cents a gallon which was considered ourageous at the time. I do remember the 35 to 40 cent a gallon era. You could go out with twenty bucks in your pocket and have a good time. Those were the days!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I remember 18 cents a gallon when I started driving, but I know that it was less before then (my dad spent most of his life working for the oil companies as a civil engineer). I also remember "gas wars," where stations that were near each other would "go to war" on each other by continually lowering their prices to become the lowest priced station. Prices could easily get down to 3 cents a gallon.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

$0.16.9 for sure in 1970 or '71. I may have seen $.15.9, but I'm not sure about that.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

I was happy when I could get 4 gallons for 10 bux. Looks like I'll have to readjust my scales with current prices. Gonna be 5.00 + this summer.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Least expensive was during gas wars around 1971-72 19 cents a gallon Wayne, Michigan
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

it was .49 cents per canadian gallon
    i know that i am old

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    $0.25/L
    I sold my camaro when it went up to $0.30/L because i thought there was no way I could afford to put gas in that car at those prices lol.
    Oh my gosh. haha
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Right around .90 a gal. if I remember. I use to drive people anywhere for a buck.

User Info Menu

when my daughter was born 7 years ago it was about 75p per litre (it's in her baby book), now it's at £1.34..
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Man, you guys across the pond don't know how good you got it!

As markthechuck says 'gas' is now at around £1.34 per litre in the UK that's $7.61 a US gallon!! I drive a car with a 70 litre tank so £93.80 ($140) to fill it.

When I first started driving (1997) it was around 59p/litre ($3.34/us gallon).
    Last edited by BallywalterBeats; 03-07-2011 at 05:03 AM.
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BallywalterBeats View Post

As markthechuck says 'gas' is now at around £1.34 per litre in the UK that's $7.61 a US gallon!! I drive a car with a 70 litre tank so £93.80 ($140) to fill it.

how much $ do you US guys pay per gallon now?
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BallywalterBeats View Post

in aus where at 5.80 US a gallon
    than god for a stong Aussie dollar or it would be 10
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I remember 18 cents a gallon when I started driving, but I know that it was less before then (my dad spent most of his life working for the oil companies as a civil engineer). I also remember "gas wars," where stations that were near each other would "go to war" on each other by continually lowering their prices to become the lowest priced station. Prices could easily get down to 3 cents a gallon.
    I've always wondered why there was such a need to add a 10th decimal place to the price of gas. Was it because of these "gas wars" ?