Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas prices - the lowest you remember

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gas prices - the lowest you remember

Quote Originally Posted by BallywalterBeats View Post
    Man, you guys across the pond don't know how good you got it!

As markthechuck says 'gas' is now at around £1.34 per litre in the UK that's $7.61 a US gallon!! I drive a car with a 70 litre tank so £93.80 ($140) to fill it.

When I first started driving (1997) it was around 59p/litre ($3.34/us gallon).
    So, I guess we're looking at doubling our gas prices in the next 10 to 15 years. Not good at all.....hmmm, gotta start looking at these new electric cars !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I've always wondered why there was such a need to add a 10th decimal place to the price of gas. Was it because of these "gas wars" ?
    It's to stop till thieves. The .9 will almost always end up with needing to give change to the customer, while as most cars use multiple litres/gallons of fuel, the standard pennies can end up as round pounds.

It's the same reason as why most stuff in stores is x.99 instead of x+1, and why a while ago there were rewards given to customers (such as £5 or your shopping free) that weren't given a till receipt.

User Info Menu

Here in Pa on the east coast gas is current around 3.45 / gallon.

The lowest I remember seeing gas prices is around .75 / gallon in 1978 but when I was a kid around 7 years old I would go to the gas station with my dad and remember him paying 7 dollars to fill his truck. At todays rate that would be about 70 bucks.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    It's to stop till thieves. The .9 will almost always end up with needing to give change to the customer, while as most cars use multiple litres/gallons of fuel, the standard pennies can end up as round pounds.

It's the same reason as why most stuff in stores is x.99 instead of x+1, and why a while ago there were rewards given to customers (such as £5 or your shopping free) that weren't given a till receipt.
    Very interesting, dragon....learn something everyday !

Larrysperf Guest

I can remember 14 cents per gallon and we got hight test for 19 for the drags. Them were the days, we didnt care about prices. Now it seems we look every day to see what its at. Today it is at 124.9 a litre

User Info Menu

I first started driving at 80 c per litre. Current price at 1.50 per litre or 6 bux a gallon
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    I first started driving at 80 c per litre. Current price at 1.50 per litre or 6 bux a gallon
    Yeah I started driving in the days below a dollar a litre. And I can remember as a kid when Dad would fuel up to go for our annual Melbourne trips in the days when it was not even 45 cents!! Times have changed!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I can remember 14 cents per gallon and we got hight test for 19 for the drags. Them were the days, we didnt care about prices. Now it seems we look every day to see what its at. Today it is at 124.9 a litre
    wow you are alot older then i think

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I've always wondered why there was such a need to add a 10th decimal place to the price of gas. Was it because of these "gas wars" ?
    Great question. I had no idea so I googled, "why .9 in gas prices." The number of different answers tells me no one really knows. The pretroleum institute said something about gas a one time being less then 1 cent a gallon and the addition of a 1 cent a gallon gas tax that started in the 20's. I think it was Texaco that said something about 1914. Other industry insiders discussed the effects of supply and demand during the depression. Others brought up the psyhcology of marketing. I think the answer just depends on who you ask.

1969, 13 years old I got a Honda CL175 with paper route money and reg. was about 15 cents and premium was around 17 cents. For 50 Cents I could fill the tank, get a soda @ 10 cents plus 2 cents bottle return and get change back. I also remember this sign out on the road, Cigarettes 22 Cents a pack.

User Info Menu

.99 was the lowest I can remember from the late '90's, man, those were the days. I filled up the shop truck in California the other day, it was $4.50 per gallon.... ouch!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inderocker View Post
    .99 was the lowest I can remember from the late '90's, man, those were the days. I filled up the shop truck in California the other day, it was $4.50 per gallon.... ouch!
    Yikes! And I thought $3.67 was bad!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

It was for Diesel.
    Daniel-

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gas prices - the lowest you remember

When I began driving "my father's Oldsmobile" in 1970 (yes, indeed, it was my father's 1961 F-85 station wagon), you could buy regular gas for 29 cents per gallon ... but there was a gas war that brought premium gas down to 19 cents a gallon!

We will now pause to shed a tear ...

In 1974, when I was cruisin' to college in my 1964 Chevelle, I complained to my dad, "I don't know what I'm gonna do payin' 60 cents a gallon for gasoline!" ($1.25/hr minimum wage just didn't hack it back then, bro'...)

As of this posting, the regular gas that fills "the bongobro's Hyundai" cost me $3.59 a gallon at a QuikTrip near my home...

And now for some real bawlin'!

drummer, the scary part is that I REMEMBER!!!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

$.18 is what I remember in high school
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Lowest price I paid was around $0.97/gallon. Highest prices I've seen were in Amsterdam a few years ago was 1.78 Euros/liter the exchange rate at the time was around $1.40 to 1 Euro. $2.49/liter= aprox. $9.42/gallon!!!
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

I remember .18 cents when I would push my minibike to the gas station and give the guy .25 cents and I got change back

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    I remember .18 cents when I would push my minibike to the gas station and give the guy .25 cents and I got change back
    LOL. That's epic!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

When I first started driving at 16 I had a little Austin American. Sort of like the mini coopers today but not as nice. I remember putting .50 in and driving all over town in Huntsville Alabama. Could get my 5 piece Ludwigs in there too. Wish I still had that thing.
    Here in South Fl it is 3.59 average at RaceTrack stations. I have been in Ecuador the last 2 1/2 weeks and it was 1.48 a gallon for regular. 1.01 for Diesel. I was told the regular was not as high octane as our regular. ohhh and a tank of propane is 1.25 just shows you how we are being taxed to death and ripped off by our own companies. They have some cool little straight shift vans made by Chevrolet that get great gas mileage that are not available in this country either. Why don't they make these great gas mileage vehicles available here??? hmmmmmm makes you wonder.
    Here is a pic I made at a car dealership in Guyaquil Ecuador. I would love to have one of these but Just a plain 2 seater with front and back windows and back doors. Perfect for hauling your equipment around. I think there like between 6 and 8 thousand. I wish I could have taken a pic of me standing next to it so you could get a better idea of the size.
    Last edited by VIbes; 03-12-2011 at 03:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gas prices - the lowest you remember

And it looks like you could fit a drumkit in there (if you removed the seats)...or at least your hand drums!

Kinda looks like the Chevy Aveo sold stateside, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

this is gonna seem very weird since im danish but i will try to translate the currency and amount...

i cant remember when it was but i know i have seen the price at around 6 DKK (1.12 USD) to the litre (1 litre is 0.26 gallon) (that would make it around 3-4 USD a gallon)

in a movie series about some crimminals they sometimes run out of gas and the excuse the driver gives to how this must be impossible is that he have just filled the car for 5 DKK so back then the gas must have been cheap, that was in the 70s
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
    Does this mean that drummers are insane ?

User Info Menu

I think its psychology.$1.99.9 looks a lot cheaper than $2.00 to some people,lol.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    wow you are alot older then i think
    What is it with you and my age

dave0549jv Guest

i think it was about $1.10 /gal when i first started driving. i just bought a new VW GTI a few days ago, and didnt realize until after the fact that it takes premium... awesome... lol